Audeze LCD-4
Mar 26, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #5,701 of 12,022
what does the aries do? any different or improvement vs using a standard usb connection to the yggy?
Improved sound quality vs. any computer I've used. Only 1uV of noise in the included linear power supply and femto clock. Not cheap at $1700 though. I free up the computer as well.

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #5,702 of 12,022
I have been able to listen to them altogether with LCDX. All i had (on purpose) was my ak70 + chord mojo.

Mojo and LCDX paired very well. I felt it could be my endgame.

Mojo and LCD4 can sound very loud. Mojo has no problem to bring the LCD4 to earbleeding levels.
However on the mojo the LCD4 was not an upgrade vs the LCDX. I even found them less enjoyable.
I haven't tried with another amp but I want to believe that the mojo just doesn't have enough power to feed them (to make them shine as a 4k hp).

I have often been skeptical regarding amp requirements and what one can read or write about it on headfi (or elsewhere). However, i have to admit that listening to the lcd4 and mojo it was clear that those saying mojo cannot drive lcd4 are right. At least you don't want the lcd4 to sound like this (they don't sound bad at all but they don't sound "better" than a LCDX that is way less expensive).

I could live with lcd4 and mojo but on the long run i would feel the need to upgrade the amp to have a return on my investment.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #5,703 of 12,022
I have intensely tested a Mojo with LCD-4 and I can tell Mojo cannot offer extreme dynamic swings, hell it even distorts heavily on newest Infected Mushroom album - it a clear sign it cannot offer the juice LCD-4 needs. On a home rig LCD-4 doesn't distort at all on high levels and I can hear crazy dynamic swings that are just not present on Mojo.
Can someone use Mojo with LCD-4? Of course it's possible, but it will be limiting pretty badly what LCD-4 can offer.
I tried Mojo with some portable amps and situation improved, but still it's far from how LCD-4 should sound.
Sadly I cannot test a Chord Dave, curious if it can swing the needed current for LCD-4...

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #5,704 of 12,022
Arg I am very tempted to get a pair of these beautiful headphones. All of the reviews and impressions describe a fantastic sounding can. The bass and mids on the Audeze LCD really have me interested. However I need to think about it for a bit. I already have the Utopia, and I am upgrading my ETHER to the ETHER FLOW. And I am also upgrading my HE1K. So Arg. I need to think a bit more, but all the keen impressions on this thread have awakened the audiophile monkey, perched upon my back lol. I need to go jam out and put my audacious monkey back to sleep for now.

I have both the LCD-4 and the Ether Flow. They are both great, with different strenghts. The Ether Flow are more lively, I listen to them through my Mojo. The sound is open and crisp. The LCD-4 have more precense, they are the big, commanding piano that fills with music the whole room, while de Ethers are like a smaller piano you use for practicing. (I don't know if this description makes any sense, I don't know how to describe sound).

I use the Ether/Mojo combo when I am on the go, but at night, in my own home, where I really listen to music, it's LCD-4 all the way.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #5,705 of 12,022
The LCD-4s are made for nighttime listening :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #5,706 of 12,022
The LCD-4s are made for nighttime listening :)

Seriously. It's 1:30am, I gotta wake up for work in 5 hours, and there's no end in sight.
My LCD-4 coupled with Roon and its terribly addictive, hyperlinked band bios has me listening, reading, and bouncing back and forth between connected band members/bands all over the place. it's awful in the best possible way. :wink:

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #5,707 of 12,022
I hear you bud. It's hard to put these puppies away when there's just "one more album" to listen to tonight...

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #5,708 of 12,022
I had to laugh and nod seeing the last few comments. I've just got through some lengthy burning-in sessions so 'the kitchen system' is now operating at around optimum performance levels - which makes stopping listening for the day quite difficult.

In nearly 40 years of chasing elusive hi-fi perfection I'm struggling to recall discovering a better marriage of components than this pairing (Milo and LCD-4). Just amazing. Sometimes I EVEN FIND MYSELF ACTUALLY ENJOYING THE MUSIC instead of mentally drawing up a lengthy review of the equipment involved. Shocking.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #5,709 of 12,022
I had to laugh and nod seeing the last few comments. I've just got through some lengthy burning-in sessions so 'the kitchen system' is now operating at around optimum performance levels - which makes stopping listening for the day quite difficult.

In nearly 40 years of chasing elusive hi-fi perfection I'm struggling to recall discovering a better marriage of components than this pairing (Milo and LCD-4). Just amazing. Sometimes I EVEN FIND MYSELF ACTUALLY ENJOYING THE MUSIC instead of mentally drawing up a lengthy review of the equipment involved. Shocking.

Impressions like yours scares my poor wallet. The LCD 4 seems like an amazing headphone and I hope audition a pair before pulling the trigger.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #5,712 of 12,022
Seriously. It's 1:30am, I gotta wake up for work in 5 hours, and there's no end in sight.
My LCD-4 coupled with Roon and its terribly addictive, hyperlinked band bios has me listening, reading, and bouncing back and forth between connected band members/bands all over the place. it's awful in the best possible way.
wink.gif

love this post.

this post IS head-fi.  

beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #5,713 of 12,022
I love my LCD-4's!!!!

Run a fully balanced set-up and you start to see how these headies shine.  I DIY 'd a Mogami W3106 balanced cable, then DIY 'd a Silver 8-Core cable... and WOW!!!
Did force me to upgrade of my DAC to an AudioGD NOS11, being fed by a Pink Faun I2S Bridge, to a LD mk6+... and eFF me!!! Beautiful and musical sweetness!

To be honest, it has ruined my enjoyment of portable IEMs (SE846) & work closed-back headies (SRH1540).. so be prepared; Ignorance is sometimes a good thing :p

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #5,714 of 12,022

To be honest, it has ruined my enjoyment of portable IEMs (SE846) & work closed-back headies (SRH1540).. so be prepared; Ignorance is sometimes a good thing :p

It ruined the portable IEMs for me too ! I dont even want to listen to music anymore on the move! just waiting to get home to hook myself up to my balanced beauty of a system next to my couch.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #5,715 of 12,022
I have been able to listen to them altogether with LCDX. All i had (on purpose) was my ak70 + chord mojo.

Mojo and LCDX paired very well. I felt it could be my endgame.

Mojo and LCD4 can sound very loud. Mojo has no problem to bring the LCD4 to earbleeding levels.
However on the mojo the LCD4 was not an upgrade vs the LCDX. I even found them less enjoyable.
I haven't tried with another amp but I want to believe that the mojo just doesn't have enough power to feed them (to make them shine as a 4k hp).

I have often been skeptical regarding amp requirements and what one can read or write about it on headfi (or elsewhere). However, i have to admit that listening to the lcd4 and mojo it was clear that those saying mojo cannot drive lcd4 are right. At least you don't want the lcd4 to sound like this (they don't sound bad at all but they don't sound "better" than a LCDX that is way less expensive).

I could live with lcd4 and mojo but on the long run i would feel the need to upgrade the amp to have a return on my investment.

Mojo pairs well with the LCD-X because it is very efficient....the LCD-4 is another story...can you use it?sure,is it optimal for a power hungry 4L HP?...no!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back