Audeze LCD-4
Mar 16, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #5,671 of 12,053
After much testing and swapping, I am finally satisfied with my current rig:

Sonos connect streaming Deezer elite -> chord 2qute Dac -> Sennheiser HDVA amp -> LCD-4

Some comments:
- Deere Elite through Sonos provides the same quality as Tidal, with two advantages: my iPhone is freed, and there are a lot of additional services.
- The Chord 2qute Dac is very good. Really. Good.
- The Sennheiser HDVA amp provides a good match to the 200ohm LCD-4. The relative hi output impedance of the amp tames the hi frequencies and enfasises the bass and mid range. This type of non aggressive sound agrees very well with my taste in sound, specially since it goes easy on my tinnitus.

In summary, not cheap but close to sound nirvana. Cheers.

I owned the 2Qute myself, makes the es9018 sound like garbage. HDVA 600 right ?

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5,673 of 12,053
  My reason not to buy HIFIMAN products is very complex and started with bad building Quality, to much and to quick release of new products and the lack of a proper Research and Testing department.

okay well if you're dead-set against the HiFiMAN, how about the Mr. Speakers Ether Flow?  that would pair well with the Abyss too.  

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #5,674 of 12,053
Looks like the LCD-4 is the overall winner vs the Focal Utopia in Bob Katz's latest episode 14 of 'Katz's Corner', on the innerfidelity.com site.
Seems most of the other listeners generally agreed with Bob on the LCD-4 being overall slightly sonically superior to the Utopia, even though the listeners did disagree on some of their strengths and weaknesses.
I own the Utopia, but have never heard the LCD-4, so I have no opinion, but would love to compare them head to head.
Interesting read whether you agree or disagree with the results.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #5,676 of 12,053
I agree,the LCD-4 doesnt get it's due for some reason....fantastic HP

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #5,678 of 12,053
Arg I am very tempted to get a pair of these beautiful headphones. All of the reviews and impressions describe a fantastic sounding can. The bass and mids on the Audeze LCD really have me interested. However I need to think about it for a bit. I already have the Utopia, and I am upgrading my ETHER to the ETHER FLOW. And I am also upgrading my HE1K. So Arg. I need to think a bit more, but all the keen impressions on this thread have awakened the audiophile monkey, perched upon my back lol. I need to go jam out and put my audacious monkey back to sleep for now.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #5,680 of 12,053
I believe "some" reason being weight and QC issues.

the QC issues seem to have been solved with the LCD-4 and lets be honest all HP's have had QC issues.....the weight isnt a problem for me because it is very balanced IMHO...is it as comfortable as the HEK v2?...no,but nothing is.....it is a great HP

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5,681 of 12,053
Arg I am very tempted to get a pair of these beautiful headphones. All of the reviews and impressions describe a fantastic sounding can. The bass and mids on the Audeze LCD really have me interested. However I need to think about it for a bit. I already have the Utopia, and I am upgrading my ETHER to the ETHER FLOW. And I am also upgrading my HE1K. So Arg. I need to think a bit more, but all the keen impressions on this thread have awakened the audiophile monkey, perched upon my back lol. I need to go jam out and put my audacious monkey back to sleep for now.

you will not be disappointed but the truth is we audiophiles are always chasing that last 2% improvement in sound and always want something new and better...i know,believe me

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #5,682 of 12,053

Interesting Bob is saying he has a EQ settings for the LCD-4 that takes it to an A performer to A+. 

Anyone know what is the best way/equipment to EQ headphones without loosing the crystal clear imaging and high detailed soundstage I already managed to get ? I always wanted to try to EQ the soundstage a bit, mabye get that missing 7-9khz dip more apparent and reduce slightly the bass ?

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #5,684 of 12,053
  EQ the soundstage?  Pretty sure you can only EQ FR...

haha, your right, my norwegian/english shined through here.. good spotted ! but still, Yes, I want to EQ FR. but just in a way I dont loose soundstage ! got it ? just wondering how to do that.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #5,685 of 12,053

No doubt the LCD-4 are beautiful and amazing. Personally though I would first upgrade your HE1000, get used to them, and THEN audition the LCD-4. The HE1000 upgrade was more significant than I expected and I've been listening to them a lot more, even over the LCD-4, than before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back