Audeze LCD-4
Mar 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #5,656 of 12,031
and my 2c with the caveat that i have heard both cans but not compared them directly. i liked them both sound wise. however, i recall the abyss lacking the clarity and refinement of the lcd-4. i don't want to take anything away from its strengths tho, which are speed, soundstage and hard hitting bass. it's a fun listen.

For me it was the mids and more so the treble on the Abyss that took away from the transparency that held them back for me.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #5,657 of 12,031
@ All , thank you for your impressions about this two flag ships. I am realy like my Abyss and I also totaly fine with the way this HP will sit on my head. But on some music, I think the mid's and Treble's could be clearer and better. I had for one month the UTOPIA and yes, the mids and trebel on this HP was absolut first class. BUT ! all the music did only played infront of my head, no room and air, no deep and stage. It was like a two dimennsion music. When I then switch over to the ABYSS, WOW what a stage and every thing was in three dimmensions. There is no question for me, The Abyss is like a pair of Loudspeakers and this is the reason for me, why the Abyss will allways stay in my Home. The UTOPIA did find a new owner. 
But now I searching for a HP which will bring me on Voice Music and small Jazz trios the mids and treble which I don't have so good on my Abyss.
The Egoista 845 will have enough power, but I am a little scary that I will drive the LCD4 to death with my heavy Pipe Organ Music. I heard that Audeze had in the past a lot of trouble with there drivers. Perhaps every thing is now fine ?
Thank again to all for your help !
Ralf      

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #5,659 of 12,031
@ All , thank you for your impressions about this two flag ships. I am realy like my Abyss and I also totaly fine with the way this HP will sit on my head. But on some music, I think the mid's and Treble's could be clearer and better. I had for one month the UTOPIA and yes, the mids and trebel on this HP was absolut first class. BUT ! all the music did only played infront of my head, no room and air, no deep and stage. It was like a two dimennsion music. When I then switch over to the ABYSS, WOW what a stage and every thing was in three dimmensions. There is no question for me, The Abyss is like a pair of Loudspeakers and this is the reason for me, why the Abyss will allways stay in my Home. The UTOPIA did find a new owner. 
But now I searching for a HP which will bring me on Voice Music and small Jazz trios the mids and treble which I don't have so good on my Abyss.
The Egoista 845 will have enough power, but I am a little scary that I will drive the LCD4 to death with my heavy Pipe Organ Music. I heard that Audeze had in the past a lot of trouble with there drivers. Perhaps every thing is now fine ?
Thank again to all for your help !
Ralf      

Try the HEK v2?

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #5,661 of 12,031
Sorry, but I don't trust Hifiman Product's, so I would not buy a Product from this company, doesn't matter how good they are.  

That's a shame because given the description of what yours looking for and given what you like and don't like about the Utopia I think the HEK could be exactly the solution.

Bear in mind they offer perhaps the best warranty of any of the 'big 4' personally I see no reason not to buy them.

I had the Utopia but ground similar issued with their presentation. The HEK absolutely nailed it for me...

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #5,663 of 12,031
  the LCD-4 needs ample power in order to really allow you to hear it properly....underpowering it is like buying a lamborghini and driving it in the city....

I definetely dont underpower my LCD4's hehe.

But just changing the digital chain a bit, first going AES to my dac, second having a 0.1ppm oscillator to time the digital samples to my DAC avoiding USB into my dac, is a clear audible thing to do, and then experience the headphone went from a bit dark to a bit lighter than dark = more in the middle is interesting. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #5,664 of 12,031
   I had for one month the UTOPIA and yes, the mids and trebel on this HP was absolut first class. BUT ! all the music did only played infront of my head, no room and air, no deep and stage. It was like a two dimennsion music. When I then switch over to the ABYSS, WOW what a stage and every thing was in three dimmensions. There is no question for me, The Abyss is like a pair of Loudspeakers and this is the reason for me, why the Abyss will allways stay in my Home. The UTOPIA did find a new owner.

Sounds like the Utopia you listened to was not broken in enough.  you bought it new, listened for a month, then sold/returned it?  congrats, you broke it in for someone else to enjoy!  now, it does have a smaller soundstage than the other flagships, but the sound is absolutely high definition and three dimensional. 

the Utopia would be the perfect compliment to your Abyss, but if not, then yes the HE1000v2 is a close second.  why don't you "trust" HiFiMAN?!?  this is the first i've heard along those lines.  

don't get me wrong, i love the LCD-4 to the moon and back, but i do think it'd be a bit redundant if you insist on keeping the Abyss.  

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #5,665 of 12,031

Sounds like the Utopia you listened to was not broken in enough.  you bought it new, listened for a month, then sold/returned it?  congrats, you broke it in for someone else to enjoy!  now, it does have a smaller soundstage than the other flagships, but the sound is absolutely high definition and three dimensional. 

the Utopia would be the perfect compliment to your Abyss, but if not, then yes the HE1000v2 is a close second.  why don't you "trust" HiFiMAN?!?  this is the first i've heard along those lines.  

don't get me wrong, i love the LCD-4 to the moon and back, but i do think it'd be a bit redundant if you insist on keeping the Abyss.  

Hi,
I am not a Newbe and so the UTOPIA had before I started a 300 hour NonStop burn in Time. On many different forums people will tell you, that the Utopia specialy on big /Great Orchestral Music has a problem with the stage. Every is flat without any deep. Its very fine with vocal and small ensembles but very bad on large Music. The Utopia is a dream in the midds and the treble.
My reason not to buy HIFIMAN products is very complex and started with bad building Quality, to much and to quick release of new products and the lack of a proper Research and Testing department.
So for me the products from Joe Skubinski are a totally different Liga. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #5,666 of 12,031
Hi,
I am not a Newbe and so the UTOPIA had before I started a 300 hour NonStop burn in Time. On many different forums people will tell you, that the Utopia specialy on big /Great Orchestral Music has a problem with the stage. Every is flat without any deep. Its very fine with vocal and small ensembles but very bad on large Music. The Utopia is a dream in the midds and the treble.
My reason not to buy HIFIMAN products is very complex and started with bad building Quality, to much and to quick release of new products and the lack of a proper Research and Testing department.
So for me the products from Joe Skubinski are a totally different Liga. 

Personally I think you're cutting off your nose (ears?) to spite your face hear.

I'm reasonably confident the HEK is *exactly* what you're looking for.

Heck even Focal had quality issues with the first run of both the Utopia and Elear. The v2's are put together very well. Ok, not focal well but they're still very good.

As for rapid release of products are you suggesting that if a manufacturer can make a better product as technology advances (as is the case with planar magnet of phones on particular) they should hold off and just keep selling the inferior ones?

Your prerogative of course however but I would suggest at least an audition.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,667 of 12,031
Anyone here have any experience with the ALO Studio Six? I've been doing some reading and it sounds as if it's a truly amazing amp. Even apparently does a great job with the Abyss. I'm looking to get a proper amp in front of these soon, so I'm hoping to make a decision. Thanks in advance.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #5,668 of 12,031
Anyone here have any experience with the ALO Studio Six? I've been doing some reading and it sounds as if it's a truly amazing amp. Even apparently does a great job with the Abyss. I'm looking to get a proper amp in front of these soon, so I'm hoping to make a decision. Thanks in advance.
I've owned the Studio Six for 3 years now. Have loved it with every Audeze headphone I've tried it with (X, 2 & 3). I've just purchased an LCD-4 that should be here next week so I will know more about that particular pairing soon

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #5,669 of 12,031
I've owned the Studio Six for 3 years now. Have loved it with every Audeze headphone I've tried it with (X, 2 & 3). I've just purchased an LCD-4 that should be here next week so I will know more about that particular pairing soon

Awesome, very much looking forward to it. Eager to hear what you think.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #5,670 of 12,031
After much testing and swapping, I am finally satisfied with my current rig:

Sonos connect streaming Deezer elite -> chord 2qute Dac -> Sennheiser HDVA amp -> LCD-4

Some comments:
- Deere Elite through Sonos provides the same quality as Tidal, with two advantages: my iPhone is freed, and there are a lot of additional services.
- The Chord 2qute Dac is very good. Really. Good.
- The Sennheiser HDVA amp provides a good match to the 200ohm LCD-4. The relative hi output impedance of the amp tames the hi frequencies and enfasises the bass and mid range. This type of non aggressive sound agrees very well with my taste in sound, specially since it goes easy on my tinnitus.

In summary, not cheap but close to sound nirvana. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back