Audeze LCD-4
Dec 28, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #5,251 of 11,994
Certainly everyone has a right to their own opinion and I can easily understand a person suggesting an external amp for the LCD-4 or HE-6 but the Utopia is incredibly efficient and an amp is overkill IMHO....in any event

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #5,252 of 11,994
A good match between headphones/speakers and an amp is not only about power it’s also about good synergy. A good synergy is always essential, but usually most important between an amp and the transducer because of the continuously “physical” interaction between them. They work together so to speak. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #5,253 of 11,994

Short version ... two reasons ... first, I didn't particularly enjoy listening to it - beyond being powerful I didn't think it was anything special even when compared to much less expensive units.  Second, the chap that owned it took the top off to "show off" the insides - an experience that only served to increase my desire not to own one.

That's just me though.

When I was looking for a sensible, powerful, amp for a third rig, I found the iFi Audio Pro iCAN to be something of a surprise (I was highly skeptical going into it).  No, it's not on the same level as my WA5-LE, and for it to be good value you have to want to use both it's solid-state and tube modes, but it's very capable, powerful, nuanced, detailed and incredibly enjoyable ... it's also very compact for what it is.  Certainly drives the LCD-4 beautifully, along with any of the other TOTL cans I have:

Well worth an audition if you're looking for something around this price-level and need something with some grunt to go with it.

Thats a shame :frowning2: I really liked the Milo while I had it, so I'm hoping I will like the HeadTrip. I tried the iFi and really liked it as well, though I thought it was maybe a tiny bit cold and clinical, but that was in SS mode, I didn't try tube or tube +. Are your LCD-4's the cocobolo wood? They look so pretty!

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,254 of 11,994
  Certainly everyone has a right to their own opinion and I can easily understand a person suggesting an external amp for the LCD-4 or HE-6 but the Utopia is incredibly efficient and an amp is overkill IMHO....in any event

Overkill from a power perspective, sure.  I'm not suggesting anyone else should get an external amp to drive Utopia from a DAVE either.  But for whatever reason, be it coloration, synergy, or something else, I've consistently preferred DAVE with most TOTL cans with an external amp in the chain (true for various amps, not just one specific one).

But, this was supposed to be about the LCD-4 ... and I opted not to buy a DAVE anyway.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #5,255 of 11,994
  Thats a shame :frowning2: I really liked the Milo while I had it, so I'm hoping I will like the HeadTrip. I tried the iFi and really liked it as well, though I thought it was maybe a tiny bit cold and clinical, but that was in SS mode, I didn't try tube or tube +. Are your LCD-4's the cocobolo wood? They look so pretty!

Why is it a shame?

Everyone has different preferences.  You may absolutely love the Head Trip.  I know people who do.  It just wasn't for me.  I'm not at all disappointed to prefer my WA5-LE, or, the Pro iCAN for that matter.  

In SS mode I found the Pro iCAN to have a slightly dark tonal tilt and lacked a bit of air/sense of space.  In Tube+ mode it opened up nicely and that's how I've used it for most of my listening.  But, it was not something I was looking at as my primary amp anyway ... just a "do it all, suitably well" unit for a 3rd system in a 2nd home.

I'm not actually sure what wood is on my LCD-4.  I'll see if they can tell me if they ever follow-up on my support request (retainer on the headband no longer holds the yoke in place).  I will say it's a lot darker in daylight than it is via artificial light ... looks better in that picture than in person (still pretty).

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #5,256 of 11,994
I'm not sure exactly why, but I find my Ray Samuels amp has always been a very fine match with Audeze, back from my LCD2, LCD3C and 3F, and now the LCD4 (my only remaining Audeze).
It seems to produce a wonderful solid bass foundation and keep any glare in check and just have a balanced sound from top to bottom. It brings the Audeze to life without digital glare.
(Especially the LCD 3F and the 4.)
I've tried other amps with Audeze, some more expensive, but nothing beats my RSA with it.
Also, the DACT stepped volume control allows me to get the right level of volume with the Audeze, whereas it can be more difficult with a more sensitive headphone.

So the RSA  is the best amp for the Audeze, and the Audeze is the best headphone for the RSA in my experiments.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #5,257 of 11,994
LCD-4 with an overkill setup that provides unforgettable experiences.  Yet, such high quality rig's still cheaper than one DAC from Europe. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #5,260 of 11,994
  Love the headphone cable, is that Toxic Cable, if so, which one? Curious how the Hydra would sound with the LCD-4. Thanks!

Yes it is - Silver Widow 22AWG. I picked it up mostly for its look and build quality. I feel it opens the sound a tad more that the blue cable, don't know, that could exist only in my imagination.  Frank was out of Hydra when I placed the order 3 months ago. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #5,261 of 11,994
  Yes it is - Silver Widow 22AWG. I picked it up mostly for its look and build quality. I feel it opens the sound a tad more that the blue cable, don't know, could be exist only in my imagination.  Frank was out of Hydra when I placed the order 3 months ago. 

Very sweet looking cable, I like it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back