Audeze LCD-4
Jun 28, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #4,126 of 12,022

I'd suggest you study-up on the Violectric V281.  ( Maybe leave some money in your budget for some good interconnect cables and power supply, etc. )

The Violetric V281 is amazing with LCD4, but you also need a really good DAC with it.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #4,128 of 12,022

I'd suggest you study-up on the Violectric V281.  ( Maybe leave some money in your budget for some good interconnect cables and power supply, etc. )

The Violetric V281 is amazing with LCD4, but you also need a really good DAC with it.

Yes indeed . . . probably more difficult to find a good DAC than a good Amp. 
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #4,130 of 12,022
As a potential LCD-4 buyer.. are you guys satisfied with this headphone as your "end game TOTL headphone"? Is there anything you wish it did more of? Are there any tips or things I should know before buying? I briefly listened to it and thought it sounded accurate and pleasant. How does it respond to EQ? Do these have more bass potential than the TH900? My number one is male vocals and the mid range in general.. then it's bass quality and quantity.. I love a hard hitting and warm/lush headphone. (as a side note I also think the combination of bright and analytical headphones get annoying - hence me selling my HD800) I like a thick and liquid sound sig.

I should've really auditioned these more.. I didn't get the WOW factor as I have with others in the past, but the recordings I listened to were not my style of music and it was a noisy room. I did like them though and am just looking for my end game headphone. I did audition the HE-1000 too and enjoyed them about the same amount, but didn't get to directly compare them. I did most of my critical quiet listening with other headphones unfortunately. Someone help out a guy on the fence! Warm, lush, bass quantity/quality - Is the LCD-4 the best headphone you can buy for that signature?

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #4,131 of 12,022
  As a potential LCD-4 buyer.. are you guys satisfied with this headphone as your "end game TOTL headphone"? Is there anything you wish it did more of? Are there any tips or things I should know before buying? I briefly listened to it and thought it sounded accurate and pleasant. How does it respond to EQ? Do these have more bass potential than the TH900? My number one is male vocals and the mid range in general.. then it's bass quality and quantity.. I love a hard hitting and warm/lush headphone. (as a side note I also think the combination of bright and analytical headphones get annoying - hence me selling my HD800) I like a thick and liquid sound sig.

I should've really auditioned these more.. I didn't get the WOW factor as I have with others in the past, but the recordings I listened to were not my style of music and it was a noisy room. I did like them though and am just looking for my end game headphone. I did audition the HE-1000 too and enjoyed them about the same amount, but didn't get to directly compare them. I did most of my critical quiet listening with other headphones unfortunately. Someone help out a guy on the fence! Warm, lush, bass quantity/quality - Is the LCD-4 the best headphone you can buy for that signature?

From what you describe, I think the LCD-4 will work for you.  It is my "go to" headphone for music.  I use EQ extensively and it works well with the 4's.  I could never get that kind of bass out of my HD800's  even with EQ.  Can't comment about TH900, never heard them.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #4,132 of 12,022

I own the 900's and the LCD-4's.

I can't really speak for the effects of EQ, but the bass is far more neutral and extended on the 4's, and the midbass hump(?) with the 900's become really apparent listening to them side by side. If you are looking for a warm/lush signature I think you will be disappointed with the 4's because I personally perceive them to be accurate and flat across the entire frequency range (which doesn't mean they are bright, just that you might perceive them to be "dry", especially in the midrange)

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #4,133 of 12,022
I own the 900's and the LCD-4's.

I can't really speak for the effects of EQ, but the bass is far more neutral and extended on the 4's, and the midbass hump(?) with the 900's become really apparent listening to them side by side. If you are looking for a warm/lush signature I think you will be disappointed with the 4's because I personally perceive them to be accurate and flat across the entire frequency range (which doesn't mean they are bright, just that you might perceive them to be "dry", especially in the midrange)

See that was kind of my concern. I love the cello and double bass (Gary Karr) and male vocals and love a lush and deep sound with big impact. The other Audeze headphones, especially the old LCD-3 did/does this. I was kinda thinking before just to get either a LCD-X or HE-X for the neutrality and satisfy my low end hunger with the TH900 and use the two headphones to compliment each other.. then maybe add in a Grado for the sparkle when I want that. But at the end of the day I just want a top of the line headphone that does all of this haha Maybe I am asking too much. I can't have everything I want right? I actually really liked the SR009, but don't want to have to get an electrostatic amp. Decisions decisions..

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #4,134 of 12,022

See that was kind of my concern. I love the cello and double bass (Gary Karr) and male vocals and love a lush and deep sound with big impact. The other Audeze headphones, especially the old LCD-3 did/does this. I was kinda thinking before just to get either a LCD-X or HE-X for the neutrality and satisfy my low end hunger with the TH900 and use the two headphones to compliment each other.. then maybe add in a Grado for the sparkle when I want that. But at the end of the day I just want a top of the line headphone that does all of this haha Maybe I am asking too much. I can't have everything I want right? I actually really liked the SR009, but don't want to have to get an electrostatic amp. Decisions decisions..

You need a powerfull amp to drive the lcd4 properly, only then you will open up what you are asking for. I love the same type of style of music. I also looked at TH900 for bass and weekend rock, but that completed fully satisfied with lcd4. Cello and violins ? No problem, lcd4 drives that too to a very natural extent.

In fact, its so good soundstage that you can turn up the volume and get neutral soundstage for all instruments with great instrument separation without the screaming upper mid tone like hd800 has.

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #4,135 of 12,022
Warm, lush, bass quantity/quality - Is the LCD-4 the best headphone you can buy for that signature?

For warm and lush sound, I think the Eddie Current Balancing Act with EML 300B output tubes would be unbeatable.  I'm not sure it would be up to driving the LCD-4, but with LCD-3's it was an awesome combination.

EDIT:
There is an Eddie Current 2A3 MkIV listed on buy sell trade.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/812533/eddie-current-2a3mkiv-cinemag-version  A little overpriced, but with some EML 2A3 Mesh plate tubes it would be fantastic with LCD-4's

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #4,136 of 12,022
It took me forever to settle on a headphone. Probably gonna take me even LONGER to pick my headphone amp HA! Already ordered the headphones and cable, I'm actually thinking something solid state like the BMC ultra dac.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #4,137 of 12,022
It took me forever to settle on a headphone. Probably gonna take me even LONGER to pick my headphone amp HA! Already ordered the headphones and cable, I'm actually thinking something solid state like the BMC ultra dac.

Once you get the headphones, review DAC's and AMP's. Personally I went with a 4 stage (total 8 amp stages for 2 channels) Violetric V281 as it had great reviews and it matched high resolution DAC's. When I reviewed DAC's I found the AMP to support extremely high resolution dac like Hegel HD30 and reproduced the crisp attacky part of the DAC to a level where it wasnt musical anymore. Then I reviwed Schiit Yggdrasil, and it supported that too very nicely. I landed on Yggdrasil as it was more musical and not so extreme attack on instruments still high resolution that makes LCD4 shine, and what a instrument separation Yggdrasil has. In fact the V281 is so good that when I connect my Tascam UH7000 unit as a dac, I can hear a soundstage a little messy and blurry bass reproduction, and when I connect the Oppo HA-1 DAC part I can hear the Sabre chip being bright in upper medium frequency range with less bass.

I read on GS-X website that their amps says only power consumption 15w, but not how much it can provide per channel per level of resistance. The LCD4 is 200 ohms, and requires power. Where LCD3 needs 11-12o clock on volume, the LCD4 needs 3-4o clock, and on some amp's like the V281 the signal is getting warmer and less edgy when volume knob is rised too high. So some amps like V281 has a gain function to increase the signal gain with steps +6 and +12 desibel before signal goes to the amp's, and this takes the volume knob back down to 10-11o clock for most of my listening.

Just bring your headphones to different stores and review combo's, and ask for loaner units home. Its fair to say ordering V281 blind from Lake-people being a pure analogue amp, is a safe bet, doubt you will be negatively surprised, but the DAC is very important to review before purchase, it has more to say than anything. Even on my Sennheiser Momentum 2 with cable I can clearly hear difference between high end dac's.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #4,138 of 12,022
Yggy and be done with it. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #4,139 of 12,022
I have to say GSX MK2 with LCD4 is an excerllent combo! Even better than V281 i have heard previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back