Audeze LCD-4
Jul 1, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #4,156 of 12,053
Thoroughly enjoying this combo.

The WA8 lacks power a bit for the LCD-4 once you get into higher volume ranges. It loses control of the low end and starts to distort a bit. At lower volumes (loud enough though) it is LOVELY. Warm, spacious, and full. If the WA8 had more power, it would be perfect for me. I'm not sure why Woo Audio didn't give it at least a watt of power, considering the tiny Geek Out V2 can do 1000mw in high gain mode. Perhaps it would have had a negative impact on the already short battery life, I don't know. All in all, if you get a chance to give the WA8 a demo, do it. I reckon you will be impressed with it.

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #4,157 of 12,053
Thoroughly enjoying this combo.

The WA8 lacks power a bit for the LCD-4 once you get into higher volume ranges. It loses control of the low end and starts to distort a bit. At lower volumes (loud enough though) it is LOVELY. Warm, spacious, and full. If the WA8 had more power, it would be perfect for me. I'm not sure why Woo Audio didn't give it at least a watt of power, considering the tiny Geek Out V2 can do 1000mw in high gain mode. Perhaps it would have had a negative impact on the already short battery life, I don't know. All in all, if you get a chance to give the WA8 a demo, do it. I reckon you will be impressed with it.

Nice, seems like a great setup. I'm going back and forth on ALO CDM and the WA8 and will use a portable rig until I figure out what desktop amp to get.

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #4,159 of 12,053
Nice, seems like a great setup. I'm going back and forth on ALO CDM and the WA8 and will use a portable rig until I figure out what desktop amp to get.

Interesting - I thought both would be underpowered with the 4.

If the WA8 had more power, it would be perfect for me. I'm not sure why Woo Audio didn't give it at least a watt of power, considering the tiny Geek Out V2 can do 1000mw in high gain mode. Perhaps it would have had a negative impact on the already short battery life, I don't know.

I think the low power level is dictated by the tubes isn't it?

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #4,160 of 12,053

Interesting - I thought both would be underpowered with the 4.

I think the low power level is dictated by the tubes isn't it?

Could be. I know nothing about tubes, this is my first experience with them. 

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #4,164 of 12,053
If anyone is looking to purchase an LCD-4 I am selling mine here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/813314/like-new-audeze-lcd-4-w-balanced-4-pin-xlr-blue-cable

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #4,166 of 12,053
Jul 5, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #4,169 of 12,053
new toy syndrome perhaps? it does happen.

I've never really had to do massive comparisons to know what I like.

I could give it months and my LCD-4 would simply drop in value and I'd continue to listen to the Abyss.

I also figure it's very unlikely my LCD will sell for awhile so I'll have it on hand to compare for awhile.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #4,170 of 12,053

Quick comparisons? Never heard the Abyss

Abyss: Great bass...great sound stage...somewhat average mids and I would say sub par treble response. Fit is pretty poor.

LCD-4: Equally great bass...quite good sound staging (though not as expansive sounding)...fantastic mids and slightly pushed back treble (with the Audeze sound and I like this presentation) but with outstanding clarity (but coherent to my ears; unlike you know 
wink.gif
). Fit is ok with my noggin and much easier to get them to sit properly.

Just my two cents....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back