Audeze LCD-4
Jun 23, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #4,097 of 12,053

Yea, I agree the HD800 are not warm, but they are certainly "musical."  Depends on the music :).

It also depends if you have enough power on your AMP to drive the LCD4's.!

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #4,099 of 12,053
For anyone living in Australia; I am selling my LCD-4s. I know it has been a very short time, but due to some personal reasons I need cash. Will miss it, the best headphone I've heard, though I must say my LCD-3s don't absolutely suck after listening to the 4s.

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #4,100 of 12,053
  For anyone living in Australia; I am selling my LCD-4s. I know it has been a very short time, but due to some personal reasons I need cash. Will miss it, the best headphone I've heard, though I must say my LCD-3s don't absolutely suck after listening to the 4s.

Can you share some impressions on the sonic difference (speed, tonality, treble energy, forgiveness etc.) between the LCD3 (2016) and the LCD4?

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #4,101 of 12,053

Can you share some impressions on the sonic difference (speed, tonality, treble energy, forgiveness etc.) between the LCD3 (2016) and the LCD4?

Sure. The LCD-4s are definitely technically better. There is much more air and the treble is much more prominent than the LCD-3F. The bass is punchier, faster and better extended. The LCD-3F has more accentuated bass, but is less defined and not as punchy. The punchiness of the LCD-4 bass comes from its transient response (nano-thickness diaphragm). I felt that the LCD-4 was Audeze's take at a neutral, and more analytical flagship headphone, more akin to the LCD-X. The previous Audezes were very mid-centric and the mids were much more prominent. The LCD-4 has amazing mids, but it is not as prominent as the LCD-3s, providing a more accurate representation. The LCD-3F was more coloured and more like the Audeze house sound, while the LCD-4 still sounded like an Audeze, but was clearly more neutral and accurate, revealing much more detail. The soundstage was also noticeably wider and imaging more accurate. This accuracy does make the LCD-3F more forgiving and laid back, but the LCD-4 is far from fatiguing. It is still a rich sounding headphone compared to something like the HD800s and the Hifimans. There is by no means a night and day difference, and the only area the LCD-3F may be better than the LCD-4 in is the mids. Even then, many will still prefer the LCD-4. I came to the conclusion that the LCD-3F is about 90% of the LCD-4, but there are definitely some minor improvements to be had.

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #4,102 of 12,053
I must add that I feel the 2016 version of the LCD-3F is much better than the previous models. It is another step away from the traditional Audeze sound, but it does make the headphone sound wider and there is more energy in the treble. It also sounds cleaner, and more resolving, while not sacrificing too much. I suggest you all try the 2016 LCD-3F and see what you think.

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #4,103 of 12,053
  I must add that I feel the 2016 version of the LCD-3F is much better than the previous models. It is another step away from the traditional Audeze sound, but it does make the headphone sound wider and there is more energy in the treble. It also sounds cleaner, and more resolving, while not sacrificing too much. I suggest you all try the 2016 LCD-3F and see what you think.

I have the 2016 LCD 3F and have owed the LCD 3F from 2014 and the LCD 3C from 2013. I agree with you that the differences with the latest revision is substantial. More air, less grain, blacker background, firmer bass and clearer sound.

Thanks for your impressions!

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #4,104 of 12,053
When you say LCD-3 2016 version are you referring to the Fazored version? Or has there been another undisclosed update to the LCD-3?

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #4,105 of 12,053
  When you say LCD-3 2016 version are you referring to the Fazored version? Or has there been another undisclosed update to the LCD-3?

Yes I was referring to the new LCD-3, 2016 version, not the fazored version that was introduced 2014. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #4,106 of 12,053

Yes I was referring to the new LCD-3, 2016 version, not the fazored version that was introduced 2014. 

Well that's the first I've heard of it since Audeze never announces anything anymore. Do you know what changes they made just out of curiousity?

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #4,107 of 12,053
  Well that's the first I've heard of it since Audeze never announces anything anymore. Do you know what changes they made just out of curiousity?

Not really. I think they have put in new drivers and the pads are a bit further away from the driver. The FR is quite different, especially in the higher treble, as you can see. 

Audeze have updated almost all their headphones. You can read about it in here:  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard/225#post_12673742

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #4,108 of 12,053

Not really. I think they have put in new drivers and the pads are a bit further away from the driver. The FR is quite different, especially in the higher treble, as you can see. 

Audeze have updated almost all their headphones. You can read about it in here:  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard/225#post_12673742

Ah I see, thanks for the info!

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #4,109 of 12,053
The fact is that the metal inside the LCD3 is build out a millimeter out of the wood to allow for more space inside to earpads. Audeze also had alot of failed drivers due to people probably pushing the headphone towards head to hear the cracking sound or/and attach/removal of headphone to head makes the air seal move the diaphragm a bit. I can only assume, but the development of LCD4 they had to figure out a way to avoid cracking the diaphragm being a consumer product so some of these modifications has most likely hit the LCD3 2016 version starting with inspection dates nov 2015. The LCD4 has air moving between earpads and the wood to avoid the cracking sound of the diaphragm to an extent it might crack at some point.

The new diaphragm with alumnium increases resistance from 110 ohm to 200 ohm, so that one is not being used in LCD3 2016 version as the 2016 version is still 110 ohm. Audeze has commented on the thread mention that there is a slight sound improvement, and I believe its not the diaphragm being changed, rather different built in the way the modules are put together to make the headphone more reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back