Audeze LCD-4
May 25, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #3,886 of 12,022

Never understood how people can hear this.  I would say the bass of the X makes the 3 sound like a tin can.

No!

May 25, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #3,887 of 12,022
If your Audeze LCD lack bass quantity, I believe you have some serious problem upstream. 

May 25, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,888 of 12,022
OMG. I just hit the buy button for my LCD-4. Ordered from audio46 in Manhattan, will arrive in one week. Great service btw.

I currently own HD800S which I like a lot. Crossing my fingers about Audeze´s reported reliability issues,I live outside USA and it is a big problem if something goes wrong with the headphones.

I wonder if my Sennheiser HDVA600 amp will be apropriate for the lcd-4.

Regards. 

May 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,889 of 12,022
The bass is very deep for sure, but Tremendous bass impact? Lol, come on man. LCD X, AB-1266, TH900, are cans that have tremendous bass impact. The LCD 4 not so much. About 80% of my music is drum and bass. Listen to 'the nine' by Bad Company or 'come to daddy' by Aphex Twin and the LCD 4 sounds more like a friendly afternoon stroll in the shire than a backstreet BDSM night club when compared with the other cans.
You had me at BDSM club..

May 25, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #3,890 of 12,022
  OMG. I just hit the buy button for my LCD-4. Ordered from audio46 in Manhattan, will arrive in one week. Great service btw.

I currently own HD800S which I like a lot. Crossing my fingers about Audeze´s reported reliability issues,I live outside USA and it is a big problem if something goes wrong with the headphones.

I wonder if my Sennheiser HDVA600 amp will be apropriate for the lcd-4.

Regards. 

If I were you I'd double check that it is the 200 ohm version.  That version is much more reliable than the original.  If it isn't maybe the seller can ship it to Audeze first?

May 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,891 of 12,022
I have to agree with you. I have heard the LCD-4 numerous times, and own a LCD-3. I find the 3 and 4 to have reference quality bass, and since I also listen to my SE846, I find my 3 and the 4 I demoed to be slightly lacking in bass quantity. I would still regard them as the best bass headphones as they do not add bloat and have unparalleled extension, but what you said is correct.
The TH-900 has much more impact, no doubt about it.

so i am more than a little confused here......first you say the 3 and 4 have reference quality bass....then you say they are lacking in bass quantity which to be honest doesnt make much sense.....i agree with the previous poster who said if you find audeze cans to lack bass in any way then you best check your source

May 25, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #3,893 of 12,022

Never understood how people can hear this.  I would say the bass of the X makes the 3 sound like a tin can.

I think this is easy to explain.  You are comparing the LCD-X to a fazor LCD-3.  It's widely known that the LCD-3F lacks in bass in comparison to the non-Fazor LCD-3.  I was speaking about my personal LCD-3 that does NOT have a fazor.  Another explanation is the variance in LCD drivers.  I've heard several LCD-X's before and none of them sound exactly the same.  

To call the LCD-3 a "tin can" compared to the LCD-X makes me wonder if you heard a "bad" LCD-3, an LCD-3F, or heard an LCD-3 at a show or anywhere conditions were not ideal.

The difference between my LCD-3 to my LCD-X in bass impact is also very small.  To an untrained ear, I would imagine, they sound almost equal.

Source for the LCD-3F having bass roll off compared to LCD-3c: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3-page-2#sZBQaBxM54PWphsH.97

May 25, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #3,894 of 12,022
Originally Posted by fallofdave /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's widely known that the LCD-3F lacks in bass. 

rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #3,896 of 12,022

rolleyes.gif

Yeah.  I misspoke.  Let me correct that.  What I meant was when Audeze added Fazors to the LCD-2 and LCD-3 it reduced the bass in comparison to the Non-Fazor'd LCD-2 and LCD-3.  But yeah, its not like the LCD-3F has no bass, it just has less than it did before it got Fazors.  Although, I hear the newest revision of the LCDs brings back that bass but I haven't had the chance to hear one yet.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3-page-2#sZBQaBxM54PWphsH.97  

May 25, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #3,897 of 12,022

rolleyes.gif

Yeah.  I misspoke.  Let me correct that.  What I meant was when Audeze added Fazors to the LCD-2 and LCD-3 it reduced the bass in comparison to the Non-Fazor'd LCD-2 and LCD-3.  But yeah, its not like the LCD-3F has no bass, it just has less than it did before it got Fazors.  Although, I hear the newest revision of the LCDs brings back that bass but I haven't had the chance to hear one yet.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3-page-2#sZBQaBxM54PWphsH.97  

wink_face.gif

May 25, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #3,899 of 12,022
Have not heard the LCD-4 yet, but I own the LCD-3 (non fazor), LCD-X, and HE1000.

LCD-3- More bass than the LCD-X to my ears (just goes to show the variance in LCD models) also much more detailed than the LCD-X and generally a better headphone (does a better job at doing the Audeze house sound)

LCD-X- Cleaner and more extended treble than the LCD-3 while coming close to matching the 3 in Bass impact.

HE-1000- not as much bass impact as the LCDs but the extension is there.  MUCH more detailed than either of the LCDs and MUCH more soundstage.  Comfort also has to be mentioned here because the HE-1000 is my 2nd most comfortable HP.  Generally the much better all arounder of the 3.  Much cleaner, smother treble than the LCD-X.  If the HE-1000 had the bass impact of the LCDs (and how you guys describe the LCD-4) then it would be my ultimate headphone.

Just want to mention the TH-X00: it has more bass impact than all the above headphones.  I'd imagine the TH-900 blows the above headphones out of the water in regard to bass slam.

I've owned the thx00 and the th900.
The x00 were inferior to my ear. Sure, lots of bass but it's all one note bass. Tubby and non textured. The rest of the spectrum had zero personality. Blah. i sold them within a few months.
The th900 is a much better headphone that has a certain charm to its sound. Bass is plenty and textured. It's mostly midbass. It goes reasonably deep but not as much as the LCD line on headphones.

May 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #3,900 of 12,022

"Like a tin can" is a bit of a stretch wouldn't you say? Yea, the bass goes deeper on the X than the fazored 3, but it's not that big of a difference. Certainly not a deal breaker for me. The 3s certainly make up for it with beautifully colored midbass and vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back