Audeze LCD-4
May 25, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #3,901 of 12,048
"Like a tin can" is a bit of a stretch wouldn't you say? Yea, the bass goes deeper on the X than the fazored 3, but it's not that big of a difference. Certainly not a deal breaker for me. The 3s certainly make up for it with beautifully colored midbass and vocals.
Hifi when did you get your 3f's out of interest? I've heard about silent revisions before 2016 but apparently Audeze are now confirming that there are newer versions of the X and 3F??

May 25, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,902 of 12,048
I've owned the thx00 and the th900.
The x00 were inferior to my ear. Sure, lots of bass but it's all one note bass. Tubby and non textured. The rest of the spectrum had zero personality. Blah. i sold them within a few months.
The th900 is a much better headphone that has a certain charm to its sound. Bass is plenty and textured. It's mostly midbass. It goes reasonably deep but not as much as the LCD line on headphones.

the fr measurements indicate that the th900's bass goes just as deep as the audeze lcd line and extends further than the lcd3f. i don't hear a mid-bass emphasis tbh.

May 25, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #3,903 of 12,048
I love my LCD-X and with the Wywires Platinum cable, the mids/bass are opening up tremendously.  The mids sound of the X are now nearly as wide and detailed as my HD800, and the platinum cable still is breaking in.  When combined with the Audez'e house sound - that performance of the X is just superb.

Can you LCD-4 owners describe what kind of improvement I would realize in SQ by going to the LCD-4?  I would be keeping my current upstream rig of the GMB and BHA-1.  Just trying to decide if it's worth the money.

Thanks for your help -
RCB

May 25, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,904 of 12,048
Hifi when did you get your 3f's out of interest? I've heard about silent revisions before 2016 but apparently Audeze are now confirming that there are newer versions of the X and 3F??

My 3s are from May 2015 so I'm sure they don't have a silent revision. I did just sell a pair of LCD-2f with drivers from September 2015 and they had the revised drivers as seen on their frequency response graph. Bass did go deeper but vocals suffered too. High end was a bit more extended too it seemed.

May 25, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3,905 of 12,048

I have to agree with you. I have heard the LCD-4 numerous times, and own a LCD-3. I find the 3 and 4 to have reference quality bass, and since I also listen to my SE846, I find my 3 and the 4 I demoed to be slightly lacking in bass quantity. I would still regard them as the best bass headphones as they do not add bloat and have unparalleled extension, but what you said is correct.
The TH-900 has much more impact, no doubt about it.

Is that using the LCD-4 on your Violectric V281? And anymore impact than the LCD-4s is north of what is natural/neutral as the LCD-4s are flat down to 20Hz...yes I agree the TH900s have more bass, but the bass quality, control and detail extraction is better on the LCD-3/4. The TH900s are great closed headphones, but the treble is what eventually did them in for me.

May 26, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #3,906 of 12,048

"Like a tin can" is a bit of a stretch wouldn't you say? Yea, the bass goes deeper on the X than the fazored 3, but it's not that big of a difference. Certainly not a deal breaker for me. The 3s certainly make up for it with beautifully colored midbass and vocals.

It's my honest impression.  On two separate occasions at two different locations I had the X and 3 next to each other to demo off a few amps including the liquid gold.  I would liken it to going from listening to something like a full range floor standing speaker with the X to a pair of bookshelves with a 4 inch driver with the 3.  Could not believe my ears when all I ever read about was the amazing bass on the 3.  I handed the headphones over to someone else and said listen to this and tell me I'm crazy for thinking the X bass stomps the 3's.  They said that the X had more quantity but the 3 had more quality... I didn't get it.  I believe they were fazored but not sure.

May 26, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3,907 of 12,048
I had the LCD-X and 3f in the house at the same time and went with the 3, it does have better quality bass, nuanced sound and one of the best midrange presentations available. This made even stronger now that I have the 2016 vintage 3f, it now has equal clarity and treble purity.

I haven't yet hear the 4, but with my transition to a new site where I will be reviewing higher end gear, I hope to reactify that situation.

May 26, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #3,908 of 12,048
I've owned the thx00 and the th900.
The x00 were inferior to my ear. Sure, lots of bass but it's all one note bass. Tubby and non textured. The rest of the spectrum had zero personality. Blah. i sold them within a few months.
The th900 is a much better headphone that has a certain charm to its sound. Bass is plenty and textured. It's mostly midbass. It goes reasonably deep but not as much as the LCD line on headphones.

Wrong... TH900 bass focuses on sub-bass and there's no other headphone that can do sub-bass as good as TH900. Its midbass isn't emphasized. You should check measurements. For the record I also had TH900, sold it due to its tizzy treble but I still miss that sub-bass.

May 26, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #3,909 of 12,048
^ He's perfectly entitled to say what he heard regardless of the fr graph you saw.  Sometimes I think people look at measurements and make up their mind about what they're going to hear before they hear it.  Not many people are willing to just go in fresh and say what they heard.

May 26, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #3,910 of 12,048
  ^ He's perfectly entitled to say what he heard regardless of the fr graph you saw.  Sometimes I think people look at measurements and make up their mind about what they're going to hear before they hear it.  Not many people are willing to just go in fresh and say what they heard.

I said I also had it for a while so I heard it for many hours. Lots of sub-bass with an adequate level of mid-bass. Definitely not "mostly" midbass.  Have you heard TH900 yourself?

May 26, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #3,911 of 12,048
  I said I also had it for a while so I heard it for many hours. Lots of sub-bass with an adequate level of mid-bass. Definitely not "mostly" midbass.  Have you heard TH900 yourself?

I heard it ages ago but only a demo.  

I'm not picking sides - you just said he was flat out wrong because of what you heard and the measurements.  I'm just saying everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I heard a serious lack of bass on the 3's, but I don't go around telling everyone who likes the 3's bass that they're wrong.  I think a lot of the time people around here who hear anything that deviates from the general opinion or measurements are reluctant to say so because they'll get shut down, but I think the forum is a more helpful place if everyone speaks their mind.  Just a general comment.  Admittedly not really about the LCD-4 though... FWIW I'll throw in my 2c and give the very audiophile review of the LCD-4's bass and say that it was 'winning' :wink:

May 26, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #3,913 of 12,048
LCD X has normally faster bass and LCD 3 more bloomy bass at the same volume. The faster bass make the X more suited for faster and more complex music. The new (2016) LCD 3 is less bloomy, while have more deep sub bass than before. In line with the pre fazored LCD3, if we only compare quantity. The biggest different IMO is that the bass on the new LCD 3 is clearer, firmer and also a bit faster. I have not heard the new LCD X, I guess it has changed as well, but in which way I don’t know. 

May 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,914 of 12,048
The TH900 was one of the headphones I sold to get the LCD4. I often liked the TH900, but too many times the bass became too pumped up and pushy to my ears, losing control.
The LCD4 bass is like a firm foundation as I hear it, very disciplined and non-fatiguing, but powerful. It's a nice combination of bass quality factors.
It is a breakthrough bass to my ears. (I even used to have the Abyss.)

May 26, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #3,915 of 12,048
the fr measurements indicate that the th900's bass goes just as deep as the audeze lcd line and extends further than the lcd3f. i don't hear a mid-bass emphasis tbh.

I didn't see those measurement but a side by side comparison with LCD X and 4 , the th 900 doesn't "feel" deep like the lcds. It more like low-mid bass emphasized more than with LCD line. The high end was a bright too I felt until they broke in. Bass also tightened up after break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back