Audeze LCD-4
May 24, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #3,871 of 12,022
Agreed, didn't like the 3, in fact I prefer my 2r2. The left driver of my X died so I thought I'd use the 3 while it's getting replaced and eventually I've been using the 2r2 since. Just can't get to like the 3, and the 4 to me sounded close. Not that they are bad, I just prefer flat FR and the X just sounded very close to my calibrated Genelec mons. :wink:

someday if i ever hear the 4 I will form my own judgement about what league it is in compared to the X but until then i will find it hard to believe there is such a big difference to make such a bold claim as to it being entirely out classed. Lot of people have heard says sounds no better then the 3 to which I have heard and to me the X is much better.  In a different league? That is just hyperbole.

May 24, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #3,872 of 12,022
The 4 has the detail and openness of the X, the liquidity of the 3, and the timbre of the 2. What's not to love?

May 24, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #3,873 of 12,022
I think people need to start mentioning genres when it comes to making these comments.

My personal opinion:

HEK:
Excellent with vocals, soft rock, classical. Pretty tragic with hard hitting edm and harder rock, and don't carry enough weight for hip hop.

LCD X:
Personally one of the few cans I consider a very good all rounder minus a few vocal based performances I heard (my pair were quite recessed).

LCD 4:
Good with all, especially vocals, but lack 'thump' for hard hitting music (in general) and also lacked the fun factor for quite a few genres. From a technical standpoint though, the best Audeze have released so far and surprisingly very, very good with classical.

LCD 3: Great for all vocals, rock, hip hop and most edm, but don't particularly shine with classical.

SR009: Sound godlike if you're listening to classical music and vocals. Sound god-awful if you're listening to rock and hip hop.

yeah see i really enjoy a good edm and the sub-bass of dub. the only thing i would change about the X is slightly more high end sparkle but really not much like maybe 1-2db to give more breath in vocals (but not as much as the T1)

May 24, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #3,876 of 12,022
LCD 4:
Good with all, especially vocals, but lack 'thump' for hard hitting music (in general) and also lacked the fun factor for quite a few genres. From a technical standpoint though, the best Audeze have released so far and surprisingly very, very good with classical.

Good appreciation and bought them for the Classical tendency caused by their transparency which explains the fun factor.
But listening to Classical the fun factor has no place.

May 24, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #3,877 of 12,022
  But listening to Classical the fun factor has no place.

blink.gif
Mon Dieu !

May 24, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #3,878 of 12,022
CD 4:

one can say much about the LCD-4 but IMHO lacking thump for hard hitting music sure isnt one of them....tremendous bass impact,deep bass that few cans can match

May 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #3,879 of 12,022
CD 4:

one can say much about the LCD-4 but IMHO lacking thump for hard hitting music sure isnt one of them....tremendous bass impact,deep bass that few cans can match
The bass is very deep for sure, but Tremendous bass impact? Lol, come on man. LCD X, AB-1266, TH900, are cans that have tremendous bass impact. The LCD 4 not so much. About 80% of my music is drum and bass. Listen to 'the nine' by Bad Company or 'come to daddy' by Aphex Twin and the LCD 4 sounds more like a friendly afternoon stroll in the shire than a backstreet BDSM night club when compared with the other cans.

May 24, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #3,880 of 12,022
somehow i think a lot of the people here who pontificate have never heard the cans they speak of...so be it

May 24, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #3,881 of 12,022
Have not heard the LCD-4 yet, but I own the LCD-3 (non fazor), LCD-X, and HE1000.

LCD-3- More bass than the LCD-X to my ears (just goes to show the variance in LCD models) also much more detailed than the LCD-X and generally a better headphone (does a better job at doing the Audeze house sound)

LCD-X- Cleaner and more extended treble than the LCD-3 while coming close to matching the 3 in Bass impact.

HE-1000- not as much bass impact as the LCDs but the extension is there.  MUCH more detailed than either of the LCDs and MUCH more soundstage.  Comfort also has to be mentioned here because the HE-1000 is my 2nd most comfortable HP.  Generally the much better all arounder of the 3.  Much cleaner, smother treble than the LCD-X.  If the HE-1000 had the bass impact of the LCDs (and how you guys describe the LCD-4) then it would be my ultimate headphone.

Just want to mention the TH-X00: it has more bass impact than all the above headphones.  I'd imagine the TH-900 blows the above headphones out of the water in regard to bass slam.

May 25, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #3,882 of 12,022
  Have not heard the LCD-4 yet, but I own the LCD-3 (non fazor), LCD-X, and HE1000.

LCD-3- More bass than the LCD-X to my ears (just goes to show the variance in LCD models) also much more detailed than the LCD-X and generally a better headphone (does a better job at doing the Audeze house sound)

LCD-X- Cleaner and more extended treble than the LCD-3 while coming close to matching the 3 in Bass impact.

HE-1000- not as much bass impact as the LCDs but the extension is there.  MUCH more detailed than either of the LCDs and MUCH more soundstage.  Comfort also has to be mentioned here because the HE-1000 is my 2nd most comfortable HP.  Generally the much better all arounder of the 3.  Much cleaner, smother treble than the LCD-X.  If the HE-1000 had the bass impact of the LCDs (and how you guys describe the LCD-4) then it would be my ultimate headphone.

Just want to mention the TH-X00: it has more bass impact than all the above headphones.  I'd imagine the TH-900 blows the above headphones out of the water in regard to bass slam.

Sounds like the LCD-4 may indeed be your ultimate headphone.  I do hope you get to spend some time with it given your thoughts toward all of those orthos.

May 25, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #3,885 of 12,022
The bass is very deep for sure, but Tremendous bass impact? Lol, come on man. LCD X, AB-1266, TH900, are cans that have tremendous bass impact. The LCD 4 not so much. About 80% of my music is drum and bass. Listen to 'the nine' by Bad Company or 'come to daddy' by Aphex Twin and the LCD 4 sounds more like a friendly afternoon stroll in the shire than a backstreet BDSM night club when compared with the other cans.

I have to agree with you. I have heard the LCD-4 numerous times, and own a LCD-3. I find the 3 and 4 to have reference quality bass, and since I also listen to my SE846, I find my 3 and the 4 I demoed to be slightly lacking in bass quantity. I would still regard them as the best bass headphones as they do not add bloat and have unparalleled extension, but what you said is correct.
The TH-900 has much more impact, no doubt about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back