Audeze LCD-4
May 1, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #3,721 of 11,994
After going back and forth extensively between my Violectric V281 and Auralic Taurus mkii with the LCD 4, and after a variety of dac swapping to eliminate additional variables - in my opinion the Taurus is the far superior amp with this headphone.

While the v281 is the more powerful amp, and presents explosive bass and a very muscular presentation, I still feel the treble is too rolled off with this headphone, and I am losing details. The trade off with the Taurus is more extended, yet still silky smooth treble, a bigger soundstage, and more pinpoint imaging - but I initially missed some of the bass I was getting with the v281 when on the Taurus.

I have a 50 ft cable run between my NAD m51 and the Taurus, and was using bargain XLR cable for the run. Switched out the bargain cable for 50 ft Mogami XLR interconnects, and instantly everything fell into place. Background is dead silent, bass is significantly more muscular and emphatic, whereas the treble is just as sweet and extended. IMHO, this is now the best headphone I ever heard both musically and technically. With my LCD 3F I enjoyed it with certain genres better than my Stax 009, but there was never any doubt that the Stax was the technically superior headphone. In this current set up, I both enjoy the LCD 4 more and think it's technically superior to my Stax 009. Big caveat: this only compares the 009 amped through my 717 (a modest but synergistic combo because of the amps warmth). I have heard the 009 through a WES as well, but it was a while ago and don't remember it well enough to compare to my LCD 4 rig.

Bottom line - I think I've finally reachd end game, and I'm loving this LCD 4 setup. I was thinking of potentially upgrading the dac, but with the Regen, the RefLink using AES,. and the Mogami balanced cables - I am really now only hearing the full potential of the NAD. While it may be a littler older, and it would be cool to have native dsd, this is really a fantastic DAC.

This is the sound I have been going for since I've gotten into this hobby. It's just so balanced yet lively, explosive bass yet controlled, and extended highs and excellent resolution, but not a hint of shrillness or digital glare.

I've found the exact tone, texture, balance, and soundstage I've always wanted - and, for the first time - don't feel like even the tiniest thing is lacking from a sonic perspective.

Personally i dont found the V281 lacking details at all. The treble of V281 is a bit darker than the Taurus. So it might give u a feeling that you are missing something. The treble is still there, but not roll off. :)

The taurus is a very nice amp. I found the taurus pairs well with many dark sounding headphones. The V281 on the other hand, pairs well with almost every headphone. And with the LCD4, i found it sounds best with +12db gain and silver LCD4 cable. It light up the treble and give you better presentation as the taurus on treble.

Reference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/705318/violectric-hpa-v281-vorsprung-durch-balanced/1650#post_12285571 (Taurus vs V281. )

May 1, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #3,722 of 11,994
So I figured out one of my settings was messing with my sound. Sounds even more incredible with the settings fixed.

May 2, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #3,723 of 11,994
Did a 4 hour listening session last night going between the Abyss and the LCD-4. LCD-4's are an easier headphone to listen to. I think this might have something to do with their midrange. The Abyss take a bit more work to get your head around their sound signature and what is going on. Both are lovely in their own way. I think the LCD-4 is going to become my daily listening headphone, and the Abyss will be more every other day for a dedicated listening session. Comfort wise the LCD-4 is the winner. I posted a long comparison of the two on reddit if you are interested. Here is the link. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4gweiv/abyss_vs_lcd4_reviewtestcomparison_thing/

May 2, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,724 of 11,994
Finally made the call that the LCD-4 is going to be my main headphone over the Abyss, Stax, or HEK.

May 2, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #3,725 of 11,994
  Finally made the call that the LCD-4 is going to be my main headphone over the Abyss, Stax, or HEK.

Glad to hear you were able to make a call mate. Its tough when you are in limbo between headphones and don't know which way to go. I've been there. 

May 3, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #3,727 of 11,994
Hello,

Some stuff around the LCD-4. High level comfort. True that mediums are great.

I agree that the LCD-4 takes profit from a symetrical cabling, here in Litz wire.

May 4, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #3,730 of 11,994
I guess a lot of it is that I have never been 100% satisfied by a headphone before, but I keep crawling back to the LCD-4.

No matter what I try I almost imagine what I would be hearing with the LCD-4.

It's an experience.

May 4, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #3,731 of 11,994
May 4, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #3,732 of 11,994

Tried to post the rest, but my images are over 10MB.

A killer setup and beautiful 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #3,733 of 11,994
I guess it was a false alarm when I said my LCD4s had broken down.
All I know is I was not getting any sound from one of the drivers. I had tried two different cables, checked the connections etc and tried for several minutes and that's how it was.
I dropped them of at my dealer and explained to him what was wrong.
He didn't bother to double check and just shipped them to Audeze.

Audeze said they tested them thoroughly and could not find anything wrong.
I have no reason to doubt them so I have no idea what was wrong.

I just got them back today.

May 7, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #3,735 of 11,994
Can anyone share some impression regarding LCD4 and GSX MK2 combo? Thx :)

Im trying to make a decission in between GSX MK2 and Moon 430HA for the LCD4...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back