Audeze LCD-4
Mar 6, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #2,612 of 11,994
  Can someone with the 200 Ohm version please post the freq response graph (ask Audeze for it via email and provide them your serial number). It would be interesting to see it and to also compare to the 100 Ohm version. Thanks.

I'm really interested in this too.

Impluse response would be nice to know too ... but that's only going to come from someone that might have been in a position to have measured the original and the new driver (e.g. @Tyll Hertsens).

My concerns over the dramatic shift in spec (and 2.3x hike in power needed to drive them to the same levels) were a big part in my deciding to cancel my LCD-4 order and see how this all plays out.  In the mean time I wound up buying the Abyss, so I'm probably going to wait the year out and see where the LCD-4 are then - but I'm still incredibly curious to see how things have changed.

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #2,613 of 11,994

I'm really interested in this too.

Impluse response would be nice to know too ... but that's only going to come from someone that might have been in a position to have measured the original and the new driver (e.g. @Tyll Hertsens).

My concerns over the dramatic shift in spec (and 2.3x hike in power needed to drive them to the same levels) were a big part in my deciding to cancel my LCD-4 order and see how this all plays out.  In the mean time I wound up buying the Abyss, so I'm probably going to wait the year out and see where the LCD-4 are then - but I'm still incredibly curious to see how things have changed.

Abyss needs a good amount of power as well, maybe even more.

Congratulation anyway! How do you like the Abyss so far? 

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,614 of 11,994

Abyss needs a good amount of power as well, maybe even more.

Congratulation anyway! How do you like the Abyss so far? 

It does ... but it needs the same amount today that it did when it was released.

While my primary system would have no trouble driving any headphone currently available, my other systems are not all driven with monster amps.

And so far, I'm loving the Abyss ... not without it's foibles, but it's the most enjoyable headphone I've ever heard.  Had them on a one-week audition (along side the HE-1000, HD800S, Edition X etc.) and bought them at the end of that (bought the HD800S as well).  I'll write up a proper impressions post or review at some point in the near future.

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,615 of 11,994
where does one order a 100ohm version of the LCD4?  I went to the Audeze site and the only one available is 200ohms.
Thanks.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #2,620 of 11,994
Having just upgraded my LCD-3 to LCD-4, I thought I'd offer a few impressions which may assist others contemplating this unique opportunity. Starting from the "top down", the carbon fiber-leather headband is very well conceived for weight distribution and comfort. I know, just like sound signature, comfort is very individual specific. But I am surprised, as someone who is sensitive to this issue, that I can wear this headphone for an extensive period with no discomfort.
But how does it sound? A few word descriptors: smooth and cohesive. All the detail is there in a totally engaging experience. I'm not sure the following is helpful but...it takes digital and makes it analog. I don't know how it manages to take harsh masterings and smooth out the "unpleasantness", but the LCD-4 transducers perform magic without losing a tad of detail. All the intricacies of the music are still revealed. In essence, (and pardon the hyperbole) the Audeze LCD-4s remaster every recording to sound as it should. You'll be totally immersed in the music and not evaluating equipment. And btw, Tyll over at Inerfidelity in yesterdays review of the Sennheiser HD 800S mentioned that the HD800 (which I owned) "is an overall cool response, lacking the bass extension that, say, an Audez LCD planar magnetic can has." Very accurate description.
Want arguably the finest sounding headphone on the planet? Give the really nice, helpful customer support at Audeze a call. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #2,621 of 11,994
Mar 7, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,623 of 11,994
You must a youngun! I bought this when I was in the military back in 1978! That's what audiophiles used to look like.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It traveled with me throughout my military travels right thru the 90's! Most people love it and want to get one but they simply cannot be found. There was a female version at the time that I should've bought too to really freak you out!

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #2,624 of 11,994
You must a youngun! I bought this when I was in the military back in 1978! That's what audiophiles used to look like.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It traveled with me throughout my military travels right thru the 90's! Most people love it and want to get one but they simply cannot be found. There was a female version at the time that I should've bought too to really freak you out!

That's too bad, because I think it's the coolest HP stand I've ever seen.  I am starting my search.  Hope you don't mind, I saved one of the pictures and put it in my avatar rotation.  Oh, and enjoy the sound of the LCD-4!!

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #2,625 of 11,994
I'm just teasing, although I'm not quite sure I would want that head peering at me in the dark in my listening room, especially if there were any substances involved, haha

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back