Audeze LCD-4
Mar 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,626 of 11,995
Guys recently receiving their LCD-4, when did you order yours?  I decided not to cancel after all and just picked up the SR-009 as well (my wallet and wife despises me).  Wondering when I should start pestering my dealer about seeing the unit since I ordered back in December.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #2,627 of 11,995
Guys recently receiving their LCD-4, when did you order yours?  I decided not to cancel after all and just picked up the SR-009 as well (my wallet and wife despises me).  Wondering when I should start pestering my dealer about seeing the unit since I ordered back in December.

I ordered mine on Feb 6th. I would've had earlier, but the wood vendor was behind schedule by about 3-4 days from what I gathered.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #2,628 of 11,995
Mar 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #2,629 of 11,995
You must a youngun! I bought this when I was in the military back in 1978! That's what audiophiles used to look like.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It traveled with me throughout my military travels right thru the 90's! Most people love it and want to get one but they simply cannot be found. There was a female version at the time that I should've bought too to really freak you out!

it looks like you

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,630 of 11,995
AN INITIAL 4 HOUR ASSESSMENT OF THE LCD -4 ONLY AND TO BE TAKEN AS SUCH!

I've been comparing my newly arrived lcd4s to my well broken in LCD-3f via Burson Soloist and Sony Dap ZX-2 as source component. (Rock,Grunge, Chill and EZ listening via Tidal)
Without going deep into details, I still find the LCD-3 to be more engaging. More musical. More toe tapping. I am quite confident in this ,speaking for myself of course.

No attacks please! Just saying what I hear at this point. Let's keep in mind that we're talking 4 hours of listening to the 4s vs 10 months on the 3s.

1. Comfort. Less comfy than the 3s on my head. Heavy. CF headband no more comfy than the old one. The 3s feel light now when I grab them to compare sounds.
2. Build quality. Fantastic. The addition of that pressure relief spacer between earpads and wood ups is well executed. Not ugly as someone once suggested.
3. Beautiful presentation upon opening , white gloves and all.
4. Much harder to drive than the the 3s. I need 6 additional volume steps (these are course steps too) on my Burson Soloist for same output.
5. From the looks of it, the included cable is awesome! Thick yet pliable!

Back to the sound. It's all Audeze no doubt. They have pulled back the midrange from the 3s a bit . Still great and they still commit (unlike the LCD-X) but I think it's that extra dab of cream that the 3s possess that I crave for total immersion into the music. Perhaps that will change in time as diaphragms break in. I am also hearing slightly more grain in everything. The 3s are just butter in a good way in comparison. Not huge and again, this may settle over time.

Bass is a bit more deep, authoritive and impactful on the 4s. Overall, a bigger
sound with a bit more depth to it. High end more extended.

Massed instruments sound nicely separated on both headphones equally to me.
At this point I would call them neutral(ish) done right. Not boring! Faster sounding than the 3s.

As revelations arise, and I'm sure some will, I will surely post those here.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,631 of 11,995
I've been comparing my newly arrived lcd4s to my well broken in LCD-3f via Burson Soloist and Sony Dap ZX-2 as source component. (Rock,Grunge, Chill and EZ listening via Tidal)
Without going deep into details, I still find the LCD-3 to be more engaging. More musical. More toe tapping. I am quite confident in this ,speaking for myself of course.

No attacks please! Just saying what I hear at this point. Let's keep in mind that we're talking 4 hours of listening to the 4s vs 10 months on the 3s.

1. Comfort. Less comfy than the 3s on my head. Heavy. CF headband no more comfy than the old one. The 3s feel light now when I grab them to compare sounds.
2. Build quality. Fantastic. The addition of that pressure relief spacer between earpads and wood ups is well executed. Not ugly as someone once suggested.
3. Beautiful presentation upon opening , white gloves and all.
4. Much harder to drive than the the 3s. I need 6 additional volume steps (these are course steps too) on my Burson Soloist for same output.

Back to the sound. It's all Audeze no doubt. They have pulled back the midrange from the 3s a bit . Still great, but I think it's that extra dab of cream that the 3s possess that I crave for total immersion into the music. Perhaps that will change in time as diaphragms break in. I am also hearing slightly more grain in everything. The 3s are just butter in a good way in comparison. Not huge and again, this may settle over time.

Bass is a bit more deep, authoritive and impactful on the 4s. Overall, a bigger
sound with a bit more depth to it. High end more extended.

Massed instruments sound nicely separated on both headphones equally to me.
At this point I would call them neutral(ish) done right. Not boring! Faster sounding than the 3s.

As revelations arise, and I'm sure some will, I will surely post those here.

This is exactly how I felt. After putting about 160 hours on my LCD-4's I have found that the sound changed. I compared to the LCD-3f's I had that I just sold and even had my wife (which I have turned into an audiophile) do a blind test and the first time was with just a couple of hours on the LCD-4's vs 300 hours on the LCD-3's. She did not like them at all compared to the 3's. But after naturally burning in the 4's. I did the blind test again and my wife said she liked the 4's a lot better and chose them over the 3's. They became more open and detailed. I was the person that was skeptical about breaking in cans or burn in. But really could hear the difference after the time I put in the 4's.

I was using a BHA-1 as well which, to me, has the tendency to be a tad brighter, IMO

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #2,632 of 11,995
This is exactly how I felt. After putting about 160 hours on my LCD-4's I have found that the sound changed. I compared to the LCD-3f's I had that I just sold and even had my wife (which I have turned into an audiophile) do a blind test and the first time was with just a couple of hours on the LCD-4's vs 300 hours on the LCD-3's. She did not like them at all compared to the 3's. But after naturally burning in the 4's. I did the blind test again and my wife said she liked the 4's a lot better and chose them over the 3's. They became more open and detailed. I was the person that was skeptical about breaking in cans or burn in. But really could hear the difference after the time I put in the 4's.

I was using a BHA-1 as well which, to me, has the tendency to be a tad brighter, IMO

I hear ya and I'm confident things will improve with break in. For now though, my 3s are staying put. I can see them co- existing no matter what. I don't think the 4s will ever possess that extra dab of cream that the 3s have and I crave. The 4s may excel in other areas though and they may live happily ever after together.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #2,633 of 11,995
  where does one order a 100ohm version of the LCD4?  I went to the Audeze site and the only one available is 200ohms.
Thanks.

I have one.. I believe they're collector's item status now.  I'm willing to part with mine for $4,500 and it's already broken in..

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,635 of 11,995
Thats a cool price, Too bad you couldn't sell it on here for that price

lol.. I was kidding, though they may very well become a unicorn down the road.  I'm looking forward to the update, but I was told us Rev 1 owners still have a few more weeks to wait.

What's an extra $500 for an unobtainable headphone? 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,638 of 11,995
  How do I know if mine is 100 ohm? (It's from Jan 1st).

Serial number of 4142270 or below is 100 Ohms, you can also measure it with a multimeter.

I would definitely be keeping the 100 Ohm version if I had one, I am not liking the 200 Ohm reviews so far. There is no way the 100 Ohm version could be considered close to the LCD3, as much as I love the LCD3, the 100 Ohm version was just streets ahead. Only problem is it has a higher risk of driver failure.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #2,639 of 11,995
i believe that i was listening to the 100 ohm version. it's the first audeze can that i've really liked. weight is still an issue for me tho despite the plush earpads and comfy headband.

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #2,640 of 11,995

Just want to throw my hat here....I have a LCD-3 (non-fazor), LCD-4, and HE-1K sitting in front of me.

You need to let the 4 break in. Then make some assessments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back