Audeze LCD-4
Nov 14, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #1,651 of 11,994
Thanks for the great write up Roy, as discussed today it will be interesting to see the changes that occur after a couple of weeks. The cables and the adapters look good. Can't wait to see these in person.

Do hope you post an update once they have some time on them.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,653 of 11,994
I just got some good time in with the 4's, and the combination of bass extension, lush mids, and treble sparkle is amazing. Signature-wise they seem closer to the LCD-X than the LCD-3. I can post with more detail after more time.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,654 of 11,994
So both are laid-back? Hmmm, perhaps my upcoming big purchase will be the Abyss after all.

Excellent comparison by @romaz !  +rep, I'd like to see it on the front page since I wager a lot of Head-Fi users are curious about how the two compare.

@NZtechfreak The HE1000 is somewhat laid back but without treble roll-off, which is an uncommon characteristic.  If you want something energetic and exciting and not laid back at all than the Abyss probably is what you want, or a well driven and perhaps modded HE-6.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,655 of 11,994
Excellent comparison by @romaz
 !  +rep, I'd like to see it on the front page since I wager a lot of Head-Fi users are curious about how the two compare.

@NZtechfreak
 The HE1000 is somewhat laid back but without treble roll-off, which is an uncommon characteristic.  If you want something energetic and exciting and not laid back at all than the Abyss probably is what you want, or a well driven and perhaps modded HE-6.

As you can see in my sig, I already have the HE6 (the monoblocks drive it well) :)

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,656 of 11,994
  Great write up, glad to hear they complement each other well. Just wondering what you used to drive them?

Headphones directly connected to signal output of TotalDac d1-monobloc DAC via XLR adapters.  Otherwise, no outboard headphone amp used but "direct to DAC" has higher bandwidth than any amp with much greater dynamic range and more realistic presentation.  More authoritative than even my EC Balancing Act with PX-4 tubes.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,657 of 11,994

romaz, in a few weeks (or more likely one or two months ?) the Kennerton Odin headphones, which brings together some of the qualities of the HE-1000 and LCD4 (according from your description of these two headphones) will be tested by someone very experienced and recognized on the french forum for listening to headphones (dub), with the HE-6, the HE Edition X, the HE-1000 and the LCD4 headphones (lent by a french seller) for prolonged listening at home. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new-kennerton-odin-planar-magnetic-magister-vali-headphones-cables-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/225#post_12065587
(Nb: look my edit for the link)
This  "mega" comparative of high-end headphones looks exciting! 
smily_headphones1.gif

To be continued ...

Eric

Thanks, Eric.  I've always wanted to hear the Odins.  They were at RMAF this year but I was unable to go.  Very much looking forward to this mega review.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,658 of 11,994
  The HE1000 is somewhat laid back but without treble roll-off, which is an uncommon characteristic.  If you want something energetic and exciting and not laid back at all than the Abyss probably is what you want, or a well driven and perhaps modded HE-6.

I agree.  Well said.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,659 of 11,994
Was able to get some headtime with the 4s at the NYC Headfi meet. Too loud and too short of a time to really give an impression but all I can say is when that headband is available i'm buying it for my 3s. That was way more comfortable than the current ones.

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,660 of 11,994
I ordered The King amp and was wondering if anyone has had anytime to compare The King with other headphones or amps? I know someone posted that they didn't have time to try to LCD-4 with other amps, so I'm assuming the option was available. Just trying to get an idea of the tonality, if leans towards neutral or musical.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,661 of 11,994
I ordered The King amp and was wondering if anyone has had anytime to compare The King with other headphones or amps? I know someone posted that they didn't have time to try to LCD-4 with other amps, so I'm assuming the option was available. Just trying to get an idea of the tonality, if leans towards neutral or musical.

I wouldn't mind hearing about how the 4 scales up from the X in a comparison.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,662 of 11,994

I wouldn't mind hearing about how the 4 scales up from the X in a comparison.

The King hasn't shipped yet, but I have one on order and will post about it when it arrives. I will do 4 vs. X comparison, too, unless someone buys my X before then. :wink:

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #1,664 of 11,994
From romaz's comparison review, I suppose the LCD-4 - HE-1000 pair will be the natural upgrade path for someone who is using the LCD-X - HD800 pair for pop/rock/EDM - classical/jazz, as long as the source and amplification are at the required levels... 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,665 of 11,994
Excite!

Confirmed I will pick up the LCD-4 Friday morning to have over the weekend. Have cleared the decks to allow plenty of time with it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back