Audeze LCD-4
Nov 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,472 of 11,995
Also another observation, the LCD-4 are more efficient than the Ether C. On the WA7 the Ether C require about 1/8th a turn on the volumne knob to match sound.

To be expected given their relative efficiency specs.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,473 of 11,995

The LCD-4 is, to my ear, more forgiving than the 3F of "digital glare and upper-midrange peakiness (like in vocals)." My LCD-3F had a slight glare in that area that was a little much for certain music; I think that's what you're talking about. I don't find that my LCD-4 has that characteristic.

Thank you. Good news that it seems that the LCD4 is more reserved and refined than the 3F (I think that's what you are describing). I see you hear what I hear in the fazored LCD3.
And to P4UL... I think you write with super eloquence. Great clear insightful concise impressions there.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,474 of 11,995
Also another observation, the LCD-4 are more efficient than the Ether C. On the WA7 the Ether C require about 1/8th a turn on the volumne knob to match sound.

Thanks for the helpful impressions! If you describe LCD-4 as laid-back does that mean vocals and mids are not forward and intimate (singing right next to your ear almost)? Would you say LCD-4 is a do-it-all headphone or does it get tiring for presenting everything so detailed and full and having something like the Ether C will be a saving grace when your ears are tired from the sound and your head is tired from the weight? 

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,475 of 11,995
Thanks for the helpful impressions! If you describe LCD-4 as laid-back does that mean vocals and mids are not forward and intimate (singing right next to your ear almost)? Would you say LCD-4 is a do-it-all headphone or does it get tiring for presenting everything so detailed and full and having something like the Ether C will be a saving grace when your ears are tired from the sound and your head is tired from the weight? 

I believe the LCD-4 is on the warm side of thing, again the Audeze house sound. However, the experience in the mids is very intimate. I really can only explaining it by saying it has an "enveloping-open" sound. When I stated it was "laid back" I actually meant in its forgiving nature.

I have also never been one to buy into the whole burn in period for headphones and amps (tubes being the exception). However, these headphones seem to get better with time. When I first put them on I wasn't impressed at all, and that's coming from a LCD-2f. After about 4-5 hours they really started to open up, and only seem to be getting better.

The weight of the cans was definitely an issue when I first put them on after wearing nothing but the Ether C and JH ROX for a few weeks. It actually felt like it was straining to my neck when I first put them on! After a few mins though that discomfort disappeared and I could barely tell they weight as much as they do. In fact, once I acclimated to them I could barely tell the difference between the Ether C and LCD-4 when swapping back and forth.

Now do I feel like they are the one headphone to rule them all? Not at all, but I also feel that every headphone brings something unique to the table. Like I said the Ether C is an excellent headphone in its own right. I also admit I haven't heard a Stax or HEK before. For me they are definitely going to be "End-Game" for a long time to come!

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,476 of 11,995
  guguplex I haven't even tried the Audeze cables yet. I used my Q-Audio cable to start with. I will have to include a comparison of cables as well. 

Looking forward to that review! Btw, Steve is no longer making the Q cables anymore. It's been passed down to me. :p 

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,477 of 11,995
I believe the LCD-4 is on the warm side of thing, again the Audeze house sound. However, the experience in the mids is very intimate. I really can only explaining it by saying it has an "enveloping-open" sound. When I stated it was "laid back" I actually meant in its forgiving nature.

I have also never been one to buy into the whole burn in period for headphones and amps (tubes being the exception). However, these headphones seem to get better with time. When I first put them on I wasn't impressed at all, and that's coming from a LCD-2f. After about 4-5 hours they really started to open up, and only seem to be getting better.

The weight of the cans was definitely an issue when I first put them on after wearing nothing but the Ether C and JH ROX for a few weeks. It actually felt like it was straining to my neck when I first put them on! After a few mins though that discomfort disappeared and I could barely tell they weight as much as they do. In fact, once I acclimated to them I could barely tell the difference between the Ether C and LCD-4 when swapping back and forth.

Now do I feel like they are the one headphone to rule them all? Not at all, but I also feel that every headphone brings something unique to the table. Like I said the Ether C is an excellent headphone in its own right. I also admit I haven't heard a Stax or HEK before. For me they are definitely going to be "End-Game" for a long time to come!

Have you had a chance to listen against the 3Fs? I love my 3s a lot atm they are my favorite headphone hard to believe how much better the 4s are. Hope to have a listen at some point, but I'm sure my wallet doesn't agree with that idea.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #1,478 of 11,995
@Vanquisher
I am sorry for your wallet in this regard. The 3Fs are my favorite headphones too and I am still under shock as I cannot go back to the 3Fs after listening to LCD4s. Two things that strike me the most (and matter to me a lot) are the presentation and detail retrieval.
Going from the 3Fs to 4s, the soundstage gets wider and deeper, but I want to say it gets  wider than it gets deeper, This may be because it is easier to perceive width than depth, so my opinion on depth is  likely change once my brain gets used to the 4s. But this is only half the story. What makes the 4s a winner for me is the layering. The vocals are clearly separated from the instruments even if they are directly behind. Going from the 4s to the 3Fs makes this space squished! The midrange is lush and realistic, I can feel the flesh behind the snap of the fingers, it is easier to notice subtle change in voice or when the artist pauses a little for breath, little details. Compared to 3Fs the trebble is accentuated, yet realistic and delicate making it sound more airy, like the shimmer of the cymbals after the attack.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #1,479 of 11,995
Kind of sound like the HE1000 you guys are describing, wonder if the LCD-4 & HE1000 would be complementary phones or if they are a bit too similar.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #1,480 of 11,995
  Kind of sound like the HE1000 you guys are describing, wonder if the LCD-4 & HE1000 would be complementary phones or if they are a bit too similar.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read what RandomForest said.  I am thinking the LCD-4 from the descriptions so far does what the HE1000 does (not sure which does what better) but maintains the Audeze house sound.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #1,481 of 11,995

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read what RandomForest said.  I am thinking the LCD-4 from the descriptions so far does what the HE1000 does (not sure which does what better) but maintains the Audeze house sound.

The hyperbole I can think of is  'An Audeze on stats', hey I said it is a hyperbole

@goldendarko
I notice from your signature, your chain is similar to  mine PC -> HA-1 -> LCD3F, now trying to decide between LCD-4 and HE1K. Never heard HE1K,  I am borrowing a HE1K so I can compare before I make a decision.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #1,483 of 11,995
To the LCD-4 owners out there:

Any problem with the leather pads being squished because of clamping on wooden stands then the user's ears touch the Fazor elements? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Am also interested to know  (preferably from official sources) whether the defective films used in the 3F (of which might have led to the reported high driver failure of the 3F previously) are no longer being used in the LCD-4. For this amount of money it will be nightmarish to experience driver failures and having to repeatedly send the HPs back for driver replacements, reliability and longevity are key concerns here. Of course it's still too early for any owner to be able to answer this at all, just throwing it out there, the trepidation is real and palpable.... 

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,484 of 11,995
prismstorm I was concerned about this as well with the Omega stand. The LCD-4's carbon fiber headband doesn't seem to clamp as firmly as the previous version. It's a lot more flexible and works very well. The Omega is smaller then a human head (at lest my head) so there is not to much pressure on it. So far no issues. The Fazors have never touched my ears. If you have big ears then I guess that is possible. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #1,485 of 11,995
  The LCD-4's carbon fiber headband doesn't seem to clamp as firmly as the previous version. It's a lot more flexible and works very well. 

But this does not mean it is not secure on the head, right? More flexible, less clamping force, still secure and stable when worn ... sounds good so far.

Will you consider using the Woo-style stand where the headphones simply balance on it and doesn't clamp on side surfaces like Omegas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back