Audeze LCD-4
Mar 4, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #9,031 of 11,994
Not sure. From my understanding Audeze is always making incremental tweaks/improvements in there process as they go through batches of LCD-4s and so theoretically that should mean the newest drivers are what Audeze considers “best” but that doesn’t necessarily mean you or I would agree with them. I also won’t expect FR to be drastically different. LCD-4s are tuned to the Audeze house sound and to sound like they think LCD-4s should. But from my buying experience it seems that b-stock units are typically models that are a couple years old and Audeze stockpiles these up and releases them at certain times of year through certain vendors and then around Black Friday on their site. So I’m happy to have an older slightly blemished unit with new headband, drivers, and the 4 pin xlr cable. That basically means for a very “reasonable” price I got a basically new unit.
Absolutely! New drivers is the bees knees

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #9,033 of 11,994
What I don't get is why doesn't Audeze implement the frequency correction onto the drivers themselves. Granted it would no longer sound like a LCD4 but plenty of manufacturers make updates and revision to their existing lineup of headphones. The Reveal plugin isn't dynamic EQ so I don't see why they couldn't do this if the Reveal is supposed to be what Audeze think the LCD4 should sound like.

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #9,034 of 11,994
Call me funny but I just plug in my LCD4 headphones balanced into my Moon 430 ha and the sound is glorious. I’ve never tried the plug ins and to be honest I don’t even know how it works. I have a Perfectwave transport to a Directstream dac and an Auralic Aries to the Directstream. The Aries music app is really nice being much nicer than the Mconnect app I used when I was using a Bridge II with my Directstream. Would the Audeze plug ins go with the Auralic Lightning app or do I require Roon. That asked my LCD4 sound awesome without eq.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #9,035 of 11,994
What I don't get is why doesn't Audeze implement the frequency correction onto the drivers themselves. Granted it would no longer sound like a LCD4 but plenty of manufacturers make updates and revision to their existing lineup of headphones. The Reveal plugin isn't dynamic EQ so I don't see why they couldn't do this if the Reveal is supposed to be what Audeze think the LCD4 should sound like.

I have aske myself the same question. For the record I don't use EQ because the loss of resolution.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #9,036 of 11,994

Yes, it is Interesting to have a house sound but then to also have EQ to adjust/fix? it. I don't find the reveal EQ enough change for my current FR preferences (I use the oratory EQ settings). So perhaps the EQ is best viewed as a refinement of the FR, something obviously more easily done in EQ than in hardware and available to all owners and not just to those who purchase a new upgraded version. It's nice to have a choice.., use it or not as you see fit.

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #9,037 of 11,994
Yes, it is Interesting to have a house sound but then to also have EQ to adjust/fix? it. I don't find the reveal EQ enough change for my current FR preferences (I use the oratory EQ settings). So perhaps the EQ is best viewed as a refinement of the FR, something obviously more easily done in EQ than in hardware and available to all owners and not just to those who purchase a new upgraded version. It's nice to have a choice.., use it or not as you see fit.
@KMann ?

I also think that resolution is a bit less with the reveal on. Feels like the sound gets more wet with more bass.

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #9,038 of 11,994
I wonder if the reveal+ will have any more speakers and room set ups in the future....
You can use reveal+ without the preset reveal, so you can still get the out of head feeling if you want.
I like it on for certain tracks and off for most.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #9,039 of 11,994
Call me funny but I just plug in my LCD4 headphones balanced into my Moon 430 ha and the sound is glorious. I’ve never tried the plug ins and to be honest I don’t even know how it works. I have a Perfectwave transport to a Directstream dac and an Auralic Aries to the Directstream. The Aries music app is really nice being much nicer than the Mconnect app I used when I was using a Bridge II with my Directstream. Would the Audeze plug ins go with the Auralic Lightning app or do I require Roon. That asked my LCD4 sound awesome without eq.

I just plug mine into my amps also...no plug ins...no eq

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #9,040 of 11,994
The amount of people saying that you need to EQ the LCD4 has put me off buying them, it is good to know there are people who like and use them as they come. Makes me reconsider selling my Rad-0 for them , think it's a worthy upgrade?

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #9,042 of 11,994
The amount of people saying that you need to EQ the LCD4 has put me off buying them, it is good to know there are people who like and use them as they come. Makes me reconsider selling my Rad-0 for them , think it's a worthy upgrade?
To me, lcd4 or. 4z are significantly better in every regard in comparison to rad0
They require a lot of current, the 4z too likes power, regarless of the *easy to power marketing*

Reveal is just an add on, you can leave it or take it. It isn't required. It's just nice that audeze made it an option

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #9,044 of 11,994
It is very good almost amazing without eq. With EQ, it becomes an amazing all around experience. I use Roon’s Audeze presets and highly recommend them.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #9,045 of 11,994
That sounds promising! I'll keep an eye out on any good deals for an LCD4. I don't find the weight of the Rad-0 to be a problem and never typically wear headphones for hours on end anyway.

I listen to Tidal - not sure what Roon is, are these able to link up? for free?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back