Audeze LCD-4
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #9,017 of 11,994
Been enjoying the 4z with audeze reveal +... It's hard going back to hrtf-free music afterwards.
So much less fatiguing
The Reveal+ EQ is not something that you’d be able to use with Tidal is it? I’ve been looking for a way to EQ while using Tidal and am pretty confused about how to make it work. Seems like adding something to my chain like the Schiit Loki Mini+ equalizer might be the only option.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #9,018 of 11,994
The Reveal+ EQ is not something that you’d be able to use with Tidal is it? I’ve been looking for a way to EQ while using Tidal and am pretty confused about how to make it work. Seems like adding something to my chain like the Schiit Loki Mini+ equalizer might be the only option.
Audirvana allows vst3 plug ins (which reveal and reveal+ is) and so many other vst3 plug ins out there, so many options, far beyond EQ that are transparent, its amazing

I moved on from roon, to Audirvana for this reason.

You have have any vst3 (many at the same time if you wish) while streaming Tidal or qobuz.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #9,019 of 11,994
I also use Reveal in Audirvana and it works nicely.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #9,020 of 11,994
Audirvana allows vst3 plug ins (which reveal and reveal+ is) and so many other vst3 plug ins out there, so many options, far beyond EQ that are transparent, its amazing

I moved on from roon, to Audirvana for this reason.

You have have any vst3 (many at the same time if you wish) while streaming Tidal or qobuz.
Wow awesome, thanks so much! Definitely will be looking into Audirvana as I think it’s exactly what I’m looking for. As far as the standard “reveal plugin” any idea where I can download that? Whenever I search for it I just continuously end up at the Audeze page for “reveal+”. Thanks again!

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #9,021 of 11,994
Wow awesome, thanks so much! Definitely will be looking into Audirvana as I think it’s exactly what I’m looking for. As far as the standard “reveal plugin” any idea where I can download that? Whenever I search for it I just continuously end up at the Audeze page for “reveal+”. Thanks again!
I forgot where I got it. But just Google it and it will be somewhere, I think 4 links down

Definitely do yourself the favor of reveal + too (which also includes the regular reveal, which you can turn off or on.)
And you get 14 days of full featured 3d sound. It actually works so nicely... I can't go back to regular listening lol.

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #9,022 of 11,994
I forgot where I got it. But just Google it and it will be somewhere, I think 4 links down

Definitely do yourself the favor of reveal + too (which also includes the regular reveal, which you can turn off or on.)
And you get 14 days of full featured 3d sound. It actually works so nicely... I can't go back to regular listening lol.
Thanks again! Found it. For anyone else who is looking the regular free reveal plug-in is actually also in the main reveal+ page but there a link in small font that says “download legacy reveal”.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #9,023 of 11,994
I’ve been meaning to share this here as I recently was pulling my hair out trying to decide between the LCD-4 and LCD-4z. There’s really not many review at all of the 4z and I always take review and anecdotal statements by owners with a grain of salt because obviously if you own it and spent thousands of dollars you want it to be great and there’s probably some bias there. A lot earlier on in this thread it’s mentioned that the very knowledgeable reviewer Metal571 really doesn’t like the 4z at all compared to the 4. In fact I did some googling around and found this more detailed statement he posted over on the Headphones.com forums. Take it for what you will and don’t shoot the messenger, but between the thoughts from Metal571 on the 4z and the many many positives reviews for the 4 I chose the LCD-4.

Apples and oranges. You can plug the 4z into anything and it will sound better out of a DAP than the LCD4. Doesn’t it depend entirely how you intend to use the headphone. I find the LCD4 so power hungry it’s borderline annoying.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #9,024 of 11,994
If you have a Mac you can use AU Labs and Sound Flower to re-route audio enabling you to use any audio plugin and EQ. It’s how I EQ and listen to Tidal and have Reveal plug-in enabled also.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #9,025 of 11,994
With Roon you can use tidal and EQ to your hearts content. I think it also has the reveal plugin ready to go.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #9,026 of 11,994
I agree the LCD4 and DAPs probably don't mix well. Maybe something like the Asell & Kern Kann would work. I have only used my 4 with desktop amps. But even the Schiit Magnius has enough power to drive them well. Now the sound signature of that amp may not be to your liking, but it has plenty of power. I had a Woo WA6se (1.5 watts) and it worked nicely for the LCD4. Tubes may be the way to go with the 200 Ohm rating of the 4. I'm partial to tubes so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #9,027 of 11,994
One more random post but I feel obligated to give a couple of shout outs here. Recently picked up a B-stock LCD-4 from Worldsbestheadphones (being shipped direct from Audeze) for a great deal. When I made the purchase I asked if these would come with the new perforated headband. It was going to be the old headband but they/Audeze upgraded it to the new one for me. Then I asked if they could ask Audeze to swap out the standard 6.3mm terminated LCD-4 cable with the balanced 4 pin version. Yup, they did with no problem. Now just got an email from Worldsbestheadphones today that my LCD-4 is shipping late because Audeze is backed up but as a consolation Audeze is installing the newest 2021 drivers in my set. Couldn’t be happier with both Worldsbestheadphones and Audeze. Killer service!

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #9,029 of 11,994
With Roon you can use tidal and EQ to your hearts content. I think it also has the reveal plugin ready to go.
For some reason I was under the impression that with Tidal in Hifi and Master (MQA) mode Tidal basically overwrote or disregarded any EQ. Obviously I’m an EQ newbie and don’t understand how it all works together with Roon/Audirvana/Tidal all that well so any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #9,030 of 11,994
Do new drivers mean new sound or FR in Audeze cans?
Not sure. From my understanding Audeze is always making incremental tweaks/improvements in there process as they go through batches of LCD-4s and so theoretically that should mean the newest drivers are what Audeze considers “best” but that doesn’t necessarily mean you or I would agree with them. I also won’t expect FR to be drastically different. LCD-4s are tuned to the Audeze house sound and to sound like they think LCD-4s should. But from my buying experience it seems that b-stock units are typically models that are a couple years old and Audeze stockpiles these up and releases them at certain times of year through certain vendors and then around Black Friday on their site. So I’m happy to have an older slightly blemished unit with new headband, drivers, and the 4 pin xlr cable. That basically means for a very “reasonable” price I got a basically new unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back