Audeze LCD-4
Sep 8, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #8,626 of 11,994
Somewhat just informed me about that as well. How big or small are those differences?
I checked the specs of your amp and you should be good. The difference is that only the regular LCD-4 is worth $4000 (well...kind of). Apparently the 4z is a significant downgrade in detail. I haven't compared the two but I would go with the LCD-4 myself.

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #8,627 of 11,994
I checked the specs of your amp and you should be good. The difference is that only the regular LCD-4 is worth $4000 (well...kind of). Apparently the 4z is a significant downgrade in detail. I haven't compared the two but I would go with the LCD-4 myself.
So you think that my Dragon Inspire IHA-1 is capable to drive LCD-4? Interesting as LCD-4 would be kind of a last cans I would love to own one day. Unless Audeze comes out with something better in terms of comfort/weight yet tube amp friendly.

Sep 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #8,628 of 11,994
I have the LCD-4, but never tried the 4z. Through my readings, it seems like most don't perceive a huge difference, and the general advice is to go with the 4 vs the 4z if you have a powerful enough amp.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #8,630 of 11,994
I have the LCD-4, but never tried the 4z. Through my readings, it seems like most don't perceive a huge difference, and the general advice is to go with the 4 vs the 4z if you have a powerful enough amp.
I guess the only way to know for sure would be to have those side by side for comparison. And try it specifically with amp I use atm.
Anyway, for time being, I’ll try to find something in 2K range to keep me excited for a while. And hopefully within few years Audeze or others will come up with more appropriately priced flagship headphones that are easier on a neck (and wallet).

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #8,631 of 11,994
I guess the only way to know for sure would be to have those side by side for comparison. And try it specifically with amp I use atm.
Anyway, for time being, I’ll try to find something in 2K range to keep me excited for a while. And hopefully within few years Audeze or others will come up with more appropriately priced flagship headphones that are easier on a neck (and wallet).
Idk man, I recently sold my 4 and got the 4z, I dont notice much difference in detail. Bass is still awesome for me, and the weight difference is noticeable. I also shortened the leather band and the suspension strap is now a suspension strap. Super comfortable and can wear them forever.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #8,632 of 11,994

"Hopefully... Audeze or others will come up with more appropriately priced flagship headphones that are easier on a neck (and wallet)."

You seem to be describing the LCDi4, which exists already, although some might only see it as an IEM... It does sound in performance like a full-blooded open back Audeze flagship, which is easier on the wallet, and much, much, much easier on the neck too" :relaxed:

Okay, there is a joke somewhere in there, but it is only partially a joke.

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #8,633 of 11,994
Since price is exactly the same, it wouldn’t make much difference on that front. “Z” are lighter and that is the sales pitch that Audeze is going with. Something they are desperately trying to overcome without sacrifices made to sound quality. At least that’s their official stand and claim. Conflicting reports between these two headphones is certainly mudding the water. Which doesn’t help in purchasing decision.

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #8,634 of 11,994
"Hopefully... Audeze or others will come up with more appropriately priced flagship headphones that are easier on a neck (and wallet)."

You seem to be describing the LCDi4, which exists already, although some might only see it as an IEM... It does sound in performance like a full-blooded open back Audeze flagship, which is easier on the wallet, and much, much, much easier on the neck too" :relaxed:

Okay, there is a joke somewhere in there, but it is only partially a joke.
Thought about it. Love my iSine10. Take them to work every day. And I am not an IEM kinda guy but these are great as far as sound and fit is concerned. Like heaving my LCDX on the go. Lol

Sep 8, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #8,635 of 11,994
Apparently the 4z is a significant downgrade in detail. I haven't compared the two but I would go with the LCD-4 myself.

Not true in my experience. Both have similar detail level. Even 4Z actually perform better black background, especially in midrange section compare to 4. 4Z also tighter in midbass.

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #8,636 of 11,994
I have the 4, and spent about two hours comparing it with another members 4z. I thought they were very similar. I emailed Audeze and they recommended the 4 if I had an amp to drive them. I felt the 4 was smoother through the mid range. Both had a very black background. I suppose that would depend on your amp. I found the 4 was better with tubes because of the higher impedance. Helped to quite any noise from the tubes. The 4z had slight hiss in the background. Again, that was with tubes. (A very nice tube amp btw)

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #8,637 of 11,994
I found the 4 was better with tubes because of the higher impedance. Helped to quite any noise from the tubes. The 4z had slight hiss in the background. Again, that was with tubes. (A very nice tube amp btw)
With feedback from you and others, it will still feel like choosing the lesser evil. It’s all about compromises at this point. Tube friendly/with possible edge when it comes to detail vs easy to drive but significantly lighter clone like brother. 735g is about 100g heavier then my LCDX. And that 635g is probably as heavy as I would like my headphones to be. Actually, I am on the market for new headphones and I set my goal (one of them) on headphones 500g or below. There’s no reason to charge people 4K and expect them to put up with 735g and have a blast. Yeah, I get that there are limitations to double sided magnet structure as far as weight is concerned. But god dame, give me something that I can wear in comfort without activity like approach. I LOVE Audeze but it’s a tough love to say the least.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #8,639 of 11,994
I own both the LCD-4 and 4z. I find the 4z brighter in the mids and highs where as the the LCD4 is smoother. As a result centre image is stronger on the 4z so vocals sound a bit better and clearer in my opinion. The LCD-4 has more powerful bass but only in that you can use a more powerful amp with higher dampening factor giving the impression that you can feel the bass however the same can easily be achieved with the 4z using EQ and given how easy they are to drive and how much headroom you have on any given amp this is really a mute point as both have stellar bass. If you're not using EQ with either the 4z or LCD-4 you are missing out as they have very little distortion. In stock form I dislike how they sound. The highs are a bit piercing for me, more so on the 4z and to a lesser extent on the LCD-4. I listen to a lot of drum and bass so I push them really hard to the point my eye balls vibrate. If I had to pick one I would go for the 4z not because it's easier to drive but because I can keep it on my head all day where as I can only do max 2 hours with the LCD-4 before I get physical strain.

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #8,640 of 11,994
I find using the Audeze reveal plugin solves the treble issue on the 4. I do think that they are so close in sound that if weight or amp requirements are important, go with the 4z.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back