Audeze LCD-4
Aug 15, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #8,581 of 11,994
Awesome you are doing a headphone shootout right now. How is the raal performing ?
Listening to the RAAL right now. It really is a different approach to headphone listening. It is like an AKG K1000 on steroids. The most common knock that most people will have on it is that is is bass light. I think it is bass accurate, but compared to the LCD-4 and others, it is perceived as bass light. If you listen to a lot of hip hop or bass heavy music, it ain’t for you as it sound off when it digs below 30 hz. But great soundstage, details, comfort and of course, with no pads on your ear, never hot.....damn this hobby and my hoarder disposition, can’t figure out which ones to get rid off. I am pretty decided that I will let go of the Empyrean first.

Aug 15, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #8,582 of 11,994
Does the lcd4 work with otl amps being high impedance or does it need more power that otl amps may not provide?

I can only speak of my OTL which powers the LCD-4 pretty well, although not my favorite amp for them.

Aug 15, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #8,583 of 11,994
I can only speak of my OTL which powers the LCD-4 pretty well, although not my favorite amp for them.
I'm enjoying my LCD 4 on the Euphoria AE with Bendix 6080WB power and PSvane stock gold driver tubes. The Felix Euphoria is the only OTL that I know about that handles low impedance planar headphones. If the glenn does it good luck getting one as the owner isn't making them right now.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #8,584 of 11,994
Does the lcd4 work with otl amps being high impedance or does it need more power that otl amps may not provide?
Euphoria is the way to go it's plenty strong enough and is easy to get. I spent extra and went the AE model which has better parts but same power. My tube recommendation is Bendix 6080WB with the stock psvane gold driver tubes. The amp handles planar from 8-600 ohms. Tested the 1266 on it but because low sensitivity not strong enough. But all my headphones sound amazing on this amp and this is in comparison to my WA33.

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #8,585 of 11,994
I'm enjoying my LCD 4 on the Euphoria AE with Bendix 6080WB power and PSvane stock gold driver tubes. The Felix Euphoria is the only OTL that I know about that handles low impedance planar headphones. If the glenn does it good luck getting one as the owner isn't making them right now.

FYI, LCD-4 is 200 ohm. The 4z is 15 ohms. I listen to my LCD-4 using the high impedance output on my Woo WA-6 SE.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #8,586 of 11,994
FYI, LCD-4 is 200 ohm. The 4z is 15 ohms. I listen to my LCD-4 using the high impedance output on my Woo WA-6 SE.
I use hi impedance on WA33 for some of my low impedance cans cause it sounds best and this was recommended by Mike of Woo saying the Hi or low can improve on a personal level.
Example the 1266 TC sounds to me better on hi.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #8,587 of 11,994
The Euphoria powers the LCD 4 perfectly. I listen to edm bass is no problem. Euphoria powers my HEkse just as good and that is lower on both sensitivity and impedance. No weird sounds

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #8,589 of 11,994
I got my LCD4s today after many years of eyeing them from afar, I understand why they are so loved. Is there a burn in time for these? I can't imagine them getting better!

A shout out to @TaronL and headphones.com for such a great help with making my dream come true! During a pandemic even!

Happy to hear they arrived safe & sound! And thank you for being so patient with the order throughout the COVID-19 issues!

Happy Listening! :)

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 22, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #8,590 of 11,994
Hi all

(i have posted this in the lcd4 and lcd4z thread as i am looking for comparisons between the two)

I demoed, again, the lcd 4 and lcd 4z the other day with my violectric v280. I used a norne silver draug balanced cable
I have read some comparisons here between those two but what i heard agrees with some of the things I have read but contradicts others.

Because there is that though there is variation between the lcd hps (ie across different units of the same model) and because i believe i demoed an earlier version of the lcd 4 and and a 4z that were released later i just wanted to check in what others that have heard both find.....ideally with more recent productions of these.

My comparisons were:
4 - had bass I could "feel", or at least my ears could literally feel, I did not get that with the 4z
4 - had a better balanced presentation
4 - treble was present and no really big spikes/annoyances at all. The upper mids and treble were more presented with the 4, with the 4z sounding withdrawn relatively speaking
4z - had more emphasis on bottom end

Based on my expectations the 4's were not as dark in sound as I expected. And were not what i would call veiled.
I would describe them as very well detailed, smooth with a nice bit of rumble on the bottom that was not over emphasised but definitely part of the over all presentation.
There may be a little dip somewhere around the mids but they might be simply me adjusting, or at least needing to adjust to these hps that can happen with time. That's the only part of what I heard that I wonder about.

Quite often I have read that the 4z have the bass you can feel and that the 4 have the upper end withdrawn - i found exactly the opposite. That;s why I was thinking I wold prefer the 4z but in fact I found these particularly comparisons the other way around.

I will demo these again as these are still on my radar but if you can shed some light on comparing these two and if you can add info on how the 4's have changed over these years (eg 100 ohm v 200ohm) that would be great.

I know/believe the lcd 2 and 3 have gone through a few changes in the last 3-5 years towards a more neutral sound (my experience around 2016/2017) so maybe that has something to do with the lcd 4 that i demoed and maybe I won;t get that with current productions.

let me know if you can add any info for me with what i would get in a modern lcd4 (v lcd4z)

thanks in advance

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #8,591 of 11,994
Done.

Done, done and done.

Thanks, everyone. I finally got there. Rory at Benchmark. You guys and Audio Sensibility. Don't know how I got locked onto Audeze, but glad I did.

Done.

Audeze (Medium).jpg

How would you describe the sound compared to Stock cable? The Silver/copper one.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #8,592 of 11,994
How would you describe the sound compared to Stock cable? The Silver/copper one.

I no longer ascribe to the expensive cable group. But, I must say the build quality is there. I worried i would not like the stiffness, but now that I've had it - I'm good with it. I should say there's a slight clarity and airiness I immediately heard that has makes me not regret the purchase.

I listen to a very few songs over and over again and there are things I've never heard before.

The biggest change was from Sennheiser HD800s to LCD-4. More music is listenable. Some songs I would just have to skip with the 800s.

Love, love that white headphone stand Roybenz!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #8,593 of 11,994
I use hi impedance on WA33 for some of my low impedance cans cause it sounds best and this was recommended by Mike of Woo saying the Hi or low can improve on a personal level.
Example the 1266 TC sounds to me better on hi.
I did the same thing with my MHA-100 for The HE-6 when I used to own them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 24, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #8,594 of 11,994
On the subject of OTL and if it can power the LCD-4 or not.

My OTL made it back to me after some surgery done to it by another head-fi member.
I have been listening to my LCD-4 with it even since it has returned.
About 11 o'clock on the attenuator powers it to a very high volume.

DSC04238.JPG

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #8,595 of 11,994
On the subject of OTL and if it can power the LCD-4 or not.

My OTL made it back to me after some surgery done to it by another head-fi member.
I have been listening to my LCD-4 with it even since it has returned.
About 11 o'clock on the attenuator powers it to a very high volume.

DSC04238.JPG
So do you own two different Glenn amps? I was trying to get into the Glenn world but unable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back