Audeze LCD-4
Aug 14, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #8,566 of 11,994
I wonder with such a poor design why would anyone buy lcd4 over abyss tc?
Honestly, I'd take the LCD4 over the Abyss TC any day of the week. In terms of comfort and wearability the LCD4 is miles ahead; When I demoed the 1266 TC last week the first thing that annoyed me was that every time I started to bop my head to the music it would swing around like a loose sail. I'm not into paying $4K for a 700g frankenstein hat that might swing off my head if I enjoy it too much.
The 1266 TC is perfect if you are 100% committed to the best on-head sonic experience money can buy, however for musicality and enjoyability you can get most of that for less.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #8,567 of 11,994
Honestly, I'd take the LCD4 over the Abyss TC any day of the week. In terms of comfort and wearability the LCD4 is miles ahead; When I demoed the 1266 TC last week the first thing that annoyed me was that every time I started to bop my head to the music it would swing around like a loose sail. I'm not into paying $4K for a 700g frankenstein hat that might swing off my head if I enjoy it too much.
The 1266 TC is perfect if you are 100% committed to the best on-head sonic experience money can buy, however for musicality and enjoyability you can get most of that for less.
I agree with almost all of your comments except for the TC being the “best on-head experience money can buy”. I listened to the TC in my system and my audition didn’t excite me all that much. It had tremendous bass but beyond that, I much prefer my Susvara. I can understand you liking your LCD 4 better than the TC because I felt I liked my 4z better as well. I went into the TC audition wanting to buy it but after the audition, I decided to move on.

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #8,568 of 11,994
Greetings from Spain!!
Thank´s to @MIR05LAV my LCD-4 Iron Wood look better than ever, sound and enjoy MUSIC as always but the carbon fiber side grilles give it a different touch.
Carbon-Grilles-6.jpg

Carbon-Grilles-3.jpg

Carbon-Grilles-2.jpg

Be safe!!!
C.K.

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #8,569 of 11,994
I agree with almost all of your comments except for the TC being the “best on-head experience money can buy”. I listened to the TC in my system and my audition didn’t excite me all that much. It had tremendous bass but beyond that, I much prefer my Susvara. I can understand you liking your LCD 4 better than the TC because I felt I liked my 4z better as well. I went into the TC audition wanting to buy it but after the audition, I decided to move on.
I have the TC, Susvara and LCD4 right now. They do music a little differently from each other and would not say that one is better than the other sonically. Comfort wise, susvara wins. The TC takes more a few days to adjust and get used to, and is now just as comfortable as the LCD-4 for me. I am having a tough time trying to decide, which one(s) to keep...and the raal sr1a is also in the foray.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #8,570 of 11,994
I have the TC, Susvara and LCD4 right now. They do music a little differently from each other and would not say that one is better than the other sonically. Comfort wise, susvara wins. The TC takes more a few days to adjust and get used to, and is now just as comfortable as the LCD-4 for me. I am having a tough time trying to decide, which one(s) to keep...and the raal sr1a is also in the foray.

What a wonderful problem to have!

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #8,571 of 11,994
Might I suggest you say goodbye to the Susvara? I am looking for one. :beyersmile: :beyersmile:

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #8,572 of 11,994
Sorry I meant pad replacement.
Ah. Yeah, I cannot say that attaching earpads to earcups via adhesive is a great form factor, especially when drivers were at one point prone to rupture (hence necessitating that spacer foam ring).

However, if I am going to gripe to headphone manufacturers, it will about why the cable that comes with a TOTL headphone "is no good" and "holds the headphone back" and requires a $1000+ replacement. Why bother including a damn cable then? But that's another conversation for another time....

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #8,573 of 11,994
Greetings from Spain!!
Thank´s to @MIR05LAV my LCD-4 Iron Wood look better than ever, sound and enjoy MUSIC as always but the carbon fiber side grilles give it a different touch.
Carbon-Grilles-6.jpg

Carbon-Grilles-3.jpg

Carbon-Grilles-2.jpg

Be safe!!!
C.K.

Looks so damn handsome with carbon grill!

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #8,574 of 11,994
I have owned the lcd-4 3 times...I currently own the TC the susvara and the RAAL...all 3 are truly phenomenal and different....the RAAL is special but not necessarily better...all 3 are better than the lcd-4 which is wonderful in its own right....

Aug 14, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #8,575 of 11,994
I currently have the RAAL, TC, and LCD-4. They all do something a little bit better than the rest. Thus I've decided to keep all three. Still haven't had a chance to demo a Susvara. Probably best I don't, for the sake of my wallet. It has been taking a beating lately.

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #8,576 of 11,994
I currently have the RAAL, TC, and LCD-4. They all do something a little bit better than the rest. Thus I've decided to keep all three. Still haven't had a chance to demo a Susvara. Probably best I don't, for the sake of my wallet. It has been taking a beating lately.
I have the Raal, TCs, LCD-4z, and Susvaras. The worst of the group is the LCD-4z, and it's not a bad pair of headphones at all (I actually quite like them, and they're the best headphones I can use on a portable amp). Raal, TC, Susvara are all top level headphones. The 4z is a level below that. My Verite Closed and Th900mk2s are a further level below that.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #8,577 of 11,994
I have the Raal, TCs, LCD-4z, and Susvaras. The worst of the group is the LCD-4z, and it's not a bad pair of headphones at all (I actually quite like them, and they're the best headphones I can use on a portable amp). Raal, TC, Susvara are all top level headphones. The 4z is a level below that. My Verite Closed and Th900mk2s are a further level below that.
I have 3 of the 4 headphones you have but I’ve listened to the SR1a’s. I feel the same as you. The 4z’s aren’t bad, it’s just that they are not as resolving as the other 3. The 4z’s do give you an alternative, warmer sound that the other 3 can’t do, which is why I‘m happy to have them.

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #8,578 of 11,994
I have 3 of the 4 headphones you have but I’ve listened to the SR1a’s. I feel the same as you. The 4z’s aren’t bad, it’s just that they are not as resolving as the other 3. The 4z’s do give you an alternative, warmer sound that the other 3 can’t do, which is why I‘m happy to have them.

Your comment about the warmness of the LCD sound and the fact that I owned an LCD-3 and loved it is what lead me to LCD-4 .
It is voiced very nicely...detailed but always musical and never too bright.

I love the Audeze house sound as well as the house sound and tuning of ZMF headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #8,579 of 11,994
Your comment about the warmness of the LCD sound and the fact that I owned an LCD-3 and loved it is what lead me to LCD-4 .
It is voiced very nicely...detailed but always musical and never too bright.

I love the Audeze house sound as well as the house sound and tuning of ZMF headphones.
Does the lcd4 work with otl amps being high impedance or does it need more power that otl amps may not provide?

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #8,580 of 11,994

Awesome you are doing a headphone shootout right now. How is the raal performing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back