Audeze LCD-4
May 22, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #8,296 of 12,053
Another example of the revealing nature of the 4s: Sebastian Leger's menabelle (along with a lot of his tracks) have that record scratching sound as if you were playing a record for that dj effect, and it is there softly with the Clears and XCs, but very audible with the 4s.
Every sound with the 4s is so distinct and present it's incredible, including those types of noises.

May 22, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #8,297 of 12,053
I for sure prefer the LCD-4 to the Susvara.

Regarding the TC- perhaps it is better- but close call; very very close.

The LCD is the fullest sounding of them all by far and looses NO detail to my ears.

IMHO, of them all, the LCD needs the best equipment to shine and will sound the worst with lesser equipment.

I used to own all three and LCD4 is the only one I kept (that and the HD800S, which is another stellar can). Overall, to my ears, it (the LCD4) has a vastly more pleasurable sound across genres than either of the others, with little to no "material" loss in detail. As does the HD800S (which is funny, given how different the LCD4 and HD800S are from each other).

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #8,298 of 12,053
I used to own all three and LCD4 is the only one I kept (that and the HD800S, which is another stellar can). Overall, to my ears, it (the LCD4) has a vastly more pleasurable sound across genres than either of the others, with little to no "material" loss in detail. As does the HD800S (which is funny, given how different the LCD4 and HD800S are from each other).
I just sold my S and kept the 4 so I know what you mean. The S just don't involve me in the music like the 4 does.

May 22, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #8,299 of 12,053
I just sold my S and kept the 4 so I know what you mean. The S just don't involve me in the music like the 4 does.

Funny: I find the 4 involves me a little less (but I think that's because my amp offers a great deal of acoustic mass and makes up for the S's usually less forward presentation). That combines with the S's "air", soundstage, and transparency to create a little more involvement to my ears because I'm straining a little bit less to hear all the dimensions of my music. The bass is vastly improved as well.

May 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #8,304 of 12,053
power wise the liquid platinum is more than fine...soundwise it is all subjective...the only problem with moving up the food chain is bad recordings sound wretched while good ones are glorious...it makes no sense to avoid albums you like because of the way they sound but sadly I do find myself gravitating to the better sounding stuff

May 23, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #8,305 of 12,053
I for sure prefer the LCD-4 to the Susvara.

Regarding the TC- perhaps it is better- but close call; very very close.

The LCD is the fullest sounding of them all by far and looses NO detail to my ears.

IMHO, of them all, the LCD needs the best equipment to shine and will sound the worst with lesser equipment.

Preach! Think of the lcd4 like a nicely shot film. Something like Royal Tenenbaums. Some tv may saturate it and soft pinks turn into red and the subdued skin color turns a stronger flesh tone. Then on some TV's with weak blacks, the subdued shades of colors gets too 'grey'.

After geeking with other lcd4 peeps, I feel like the lcd4 is very endgame. We can't judge the sound output coming out of the lcd4 and base that solely due to the performance of the lcd4. Rather, the lcd4 is like a mirror where it merely reflects how good is the rest of the chain in the system is. Back in e-earphones 2017, I was laughing why people would buy such a HP when I was demoing it with the Hugo 1 + laptop. I wouldn't pay 1.5k USD for it. But I was such a noob back then when I was thinking, okay what CAN be better than a Hugo 1?!?!? Nuthin! Well kindaaa true back then when I tried all the DACs. So it's even possible that for a good 2 years when the lcd4 came out that there was veryyy little options on what components can make it shine.

May 23, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #8,306 of 12,053
Preach! Think of the lcd4 like a nicely shot film. Something like Royal Tenenbaums. Some tv may saturate it and soft pinks turn into red and the subdued skin color turns a stronger flesh tone. Then on some TV's with weak blacks, the subdued shades of colors gets too 'grey'.

After geeking with other lcd4 peeps, I feel like the lcd4 is very endgame. We can't judge the sound output coming out of the lcd4 and base that solely due to the performance of the lcd4. Rather, the lcd4 is like a mirror where it merely reflects how good is the rest of the chain in the system is. Back in e-earphones 2017, I was laughing why people would buy such a HP when I was demoing it with the Hugo 1 + laptop. I wouldn't pay 1.5k USD for it. But I was such a noob back then when I was thinking, okay what CAN be better than a Hugo 1?!?!? Nuthin! Well kindaaa true back then when I tried all the DACs. So it's even possible that for a good 2 years when the lcd4 came out that there was veryyy little options on what components can make it shine.

he would probably agree if u said h2 had no discerning improvement over h1

May 23, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #8,307 of 12,053
power wise the liquid platinum is more than fine...soundwise it is all subjective...the only problem with moving up the food chain is bad recordings sound wretched while good ones are glorious...it makes no sense to avoid albums you like because of the way they sound but sadly I do find myself gravitating to the better sounding stuff
Yes it is unfortunate. I'm going to avoid the new Tool album, especially Tempest, due to the digital hash the LCD 4s expose.

May 23, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #8,308 of 12,053
The tracks that have the digital noise are all on Tidal through all of my rigs (dac3, dac2, and sanskrit), and one of my favorite tracks by DM, freelove, As I mentioned earlier, has terrible noise at the end. Ugggh

May 23, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #8,309 of 12,053
The tracks that have the digital noise are all on Tidal through all of my rigs (dac3, dac2, and sanskrit), and one of my favorite tracks by DM, freelove, As I mentioned earlier, has terrible noise at the end. Ugggh

With TOTL gear, you really have to learn to ignore the slight noise and other minor imperfections that may be in the some tracks. Just try to enjoy your music despite that and try to accept that next to nothing will always be perfect. Don't let it take away from your enjoyment. If it does that, then you might as well downgrade to LCD-3 and have more fun knowing that it isn't as revealing of imperfections.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #8,310 of 12,053
With TOTL gear, you really have to learn to ignore the slight noise and other minor imperfections that may be in the some tracks. Just try to enjoy your music despite that and try to accept that next to nothing will always be perfect. Don't let it take away from your enjoyment. If it does that, then you might as well downgrade to LCD-3 and have more fun knowing that it isn't as revealing of imperfections.
Very well said and I will heed your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back