Audeze LCD-4
Jan 8, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #7,966 of 11,995
Has anyone had any experience on the LCD4 with the Neve RNHP amp?
I know it's not the kind of absolute powerhouse the LCD4 prefers, but I think I read somewhere that they still go together pretty well. I'm running my LCD-3 with the RNHP beautifully, but now I might get a good deal on the 4.

So the question is: in order to improve on the LCD3 does the 4 warrant a pricier amp? Because unfortunately there's no room for that in my budget.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #7,968 of 11,995
Hugo 2 and smsl sp200 is sufficient. I tried beefier amps like the SPL xe and ifi pro and it didn't scale much. Investing in better cables and power quality is the better route
At what percentage do you run the Hugo 2 with the LCD 4 to get a loud enough sound? If I'll get the LCD 4, the Hugo 2 would be a nice portable set-up.

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #7,972 of 11,995
Hello all,

I would like to give some fresh impressions to my new LCD-4s as I listen to them as I write this. Right now, I am really quite confused. The reason I parted with these in the first place was because of the weight of them, but now, when I picked them up, they felt so much lighter than before, something similar to the MDR-Z1R now.

On my first listen to a song with quite a bit of electronic music and quite a bit of bass, it left me quite lacking in what I had come to expect, would be a deep ocean planet-shaking tsunami of planar bass which is still very controlled and detailed still, which was something that I had come to love when it came to Audeze headphones. Now, the tonality has shifted to become much more neutral, with liquid mids and "recessed" bass (when I say recessed I mean more in the sense that it was not as pronounced as it once was.) and still neutral-ish highs. The highs and mids seem to have a bit more emphasis to my ears.

Another thing, the soundstage has become significantly larger, something reminiscent of the HD800S to my ears. Again, quite confusing, as before it had an intimate soundstage similar to the Sony MDR-Z1R, which I quite enjoyed. However, it has a much less in your face detail, and much more "laid back" nature, as if everything has taken a step or two back, which was the secondary reason for selling them, too much in your face detail.

Almost everything on this headphone has changed quite a lot, and I am not certain if it is for the better or worse, or if my memory serves me very poorly. They seem to have become significantly more HD800S like it seems, and I am very unsure as to why.

A quick A-B with the HD800S, and they really seem to have drawn closer together. The most noticable difference was the bass, not the quantity, but instead the quality. The 4s did have more control, but only in some parts of the song. In other parts, they were almost identical. The HD800S soundstage really was within spitting distance for most instruments, with a few far out, which made it sound a bit thin, but still not bad. Meanwhile, the 4s had a bit more of an intimate soundstage, but much fuller sounding in the parts the HD800S sounded thin.

Also (again) the weight difference. The HD800S feels like a feather on my head, while the LCD-4 feels like how headphones should feel on one's head, with good quality and craftsmanship, letting you know that it is well built. I guess it feels more substantial, more heft, like I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

These are first minute impressions, and will probably change. Maybe I just need to break them in as they are B-stock, instead of used. These are off the cuff, like, 10 minutes in impressions...

Time to listen some more, thank you all for reading.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #7,973 of 11,995
Hello all,

I would like to give some fresh impressions to my new LCD-4s as I listen to them as I write this. Right now, I am really quite confused. The reason I parted with these in the first place was because of the weight of them, but now, when I picked them up, they felt so much lighter than before, something similar to the MDR-Z1R now.

On my first listen to a song with quite a bit of electronic music and quite a bit of bass, it left me quite lacking in what I had come to expect, would be a deep ocean planet-shaking tsunami of planar bass which is still very controlled and detailed still, which was something that I had come to love when it came to Audeze headphones. Now, the tonality has shifted to become much more neutral, with liquid mids and "recessed" bass (when I say recessed I mean more in the sense that it was not as pronounced as it once was.) and still neutral-ish highs. The highs and mids seem to have a bit more emphasis to my ears.

Another thing, the soundstage has become significantly larger, something reminiscent of the HD800S to my ears. Again, quite confusing, as before it had an intimate soundstage similar to the Sony MDR-Z1R, which I quite enjoyed. However, it has a much less in your face detail, and much more "laid back" nature, as if everything has taken a step or two back, which was the secondary reason for selling them, too much in your face detail.

Almost everything on this headphone has changed quite a lot, and I am not certain if it is for the better or worse, or if my memory serves me very poorly. They seem to have become significantly more HD800S like it seems, and I am very unsure as to why.

A quick A-B with the HD800S, and they really seem to have drawn closer together. The most noticable difference was the bass, not the quantity, but instead the quality. The 4s did have more control, but only in some parts of the song. In other parts, they were almost identical. The HD800S soundstage really was within spitting distance for most instruments, with a few far out, which made it sound a bit thin, but still not bad. Meanwhile, the 4s had a bit more of an intimate soundstage, but much fuller sounding in the parts the HD800S sounded thin.

Also (again) the weight difference. The HD800S feels like a feather on my head, while the LCD-4 feels like how headphones should feel on one's head, with good quality and craftsmanship, letting you know that it is well built. I guess it feels more substantial, more heft, like I'm getting my money's worth out of it
These are first minute impressions, and will probably change. Maybe I just need to break them in as they are B-stock, instead of used. These are off the cuff, like, 10 minutes in impressions...

Time to listen some more, thank you all for reading.
Question regarding the bass performance : What amp is driving them now, and what amp was driving them previously, when you had them before? Earlier versions of the LCD-4 were rated 100ohms whereas the more recent versions are rated 200ohms, and therefore harder to drive. The higher impedance could mean that you need a more powerful amp to bring out the bass oomph that you seem to think is missing. I notice the same relatively anemic bass when using the LCD-4 with my DAP, the Astell & Kern Kann Cube. The DAP has enough power to power to drive the 4 to decent levels of loudness, even though I can tell it struggles with the bass and mids, which come off sounding just okay, but slightly thin, instead of thick, rich, creamy and deep as they do when I am using the 4 with my desktop rigs, and it is being driven by either the Violectric V281 or the Cavalli Liquid Platinum. I wonder whether this might be relevant to your experience.

I have no comment regarding the weight issue, since this one feels fine on my head and is the only LCD-4 I've ever had.

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #7,974 of 11,995
Hi everyone!

I am interested in upgrading my LCD-X to either the LCD-4 or the Abyss Phi CC and finally get my TOTL headphone.

My main tastes are power metal and electronica but obviously I want a jack of all trades headphone.

Today I had a chance to compare the LCD-4 to my LCD-X using my own equipment.

The guy who is offering to sell them said that they were barely used and didn't even break in yet.

I sent to serial number to Audeze to check the date of manufacture.

It was Macbook pro 16 inch - Tidal Hifi / Qobuz - Objective dac - SMSL SP200.

Songs I tested were:

Hammer of the gods - Freedom call.
Gunman - Orden Ogan.
Hardwired - Metallica.
Feed the wolf - Breaking Benjamin
Limit to your love - James Blake

I have to say that I am really underwhelmed by what I heard, I hope it is because of my equipment and the lack of break in.

There weren't any noticeable differences between the LCD-X and the LCD-4 in terms of detail retreival, separation, They sounded very similar.

I did notice 2 things:

The LCD-4 had more bass - like 30%-35% more if I need to rate it.

The LCD-4 had a smaller soundstage and sounded more closed.

Other than that they were very similar - Voices, Insturments, separation sounded very close between the two.

When I switched from the LCD-4 to the LCD-X the LCD-X did sound a bit muddy but again the difference wasn't substantial.

To my ears the LCD-4 did not even come close to costing more than twice the LCD-X.

I am now afraid that the Abyss Phi CC isn't going to impress me either.

Again I really hope that it's because of my equipment, And mainly my DAC but I am skeptical of how much can they improve since I read that smsl sp 200 should be sufficient for them.

I was thinking of getting a Chord hugo TT2 in the future to just end my chase after dacs and amplifiers.

In your opinion will it make a substantial difference to really put the LCD-4 in it's own league.

If I can demonstrate what I want and didn't get with the LCD-X and with the LCD-4: In the song gunman by orden ogan in 0:45 there are fast drums, With both the X and the 4 the drums sounded muddy and not very detailed.
I want my next pair of headphones to expose more details.

Can you guys please test this with your system and see how it sounds?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #7,975 of 11,995
The LCD 4 definitely can be EQ-ed to sound more natural. It's just tricky to do on your own. My LCD 2 sounds crazy good with EQ and there is no detail loss to speak of. I can't even imagine what can be done with the LCD 4.

It might be your choice of songs though. A lot of acoustic and rock recordings of a certain era are somewhat grainy and not that detailed or natural sounding. You might need to demo more songs to get a better idea of their performance. Or it is in fact an older model of the LCD 4 which is inferior to the 2016-2018 revision of the same model.

The extra bass you hear is actually not measurable directly. It's just that the LCD 4 has more dynamic impact than most planars. It has virtually identical bass in terms of FR to its cheaper siblings.

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #7,976 of 11,995
the lcd-4 is dramatically more detailed than the X and has a larger soundstage and better bass so I suspect something is amiss...

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #7,977 of 11,995
I have both the X and the 4, and on my rigs, the results of the head to head between those two yield entirely different results from yours (the X is definitely not a bad-sounding headphone, but in soundstage width/depth, detail-retrieval, and bass response, not to mention the sumptuousness of the mids, the LCD-4 comfortably comes out ahead) Could it be that your amp has sufficient juice to drive the X, but is coming up a bit short for the 4? That could be what is happening here, in which case you would simply be blaming the 4 for the "sins" of the amp. The LCD-X has an impedance of 20 Ohms, as opposed to the 200 Ohms of the LCD-4. That could produce a world of difference in sonic results if the 4 isn't getting enough juice as compared to the X which can be driven quite comfortably even by an ipad or computer without an amp.

If you want to really get a fair assessment of what the 4 can do, then you need to feed it with an amp that does it justice. Just saying.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #7,978 of 11,995
Not only will the 4 benefit from the extra juice a powerful amp has but speed makes a difference. I have the LCD4 and Abyss TC. My amps are the Woo WA5 tube amp and the HeadAmp GSX mk2. The Woo has a bigger soundstage and the GSX is noticeably faster. The LCD4 makes this evident. My LCD2 didn’t really bring this out.

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #7,979 of 11,995
My preference is the LCD4 for rock and acoustic. The Abyss for pop and EDM. Neither are bad at the other genres. Just my personal preference. Both are incredible. By far my favorite headphones so far. See my signature for headphones I have owned to get an idea of comparisons I have been able to make.

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #7,980 of 11,995
I also have the new HEDDphone coming next week. Will be posting thoughts on it compared to other totl headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back