Audeze LCD-4
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #7,756 of 11,995
Due to my situation, work late, wife and daughter sleeping, I rarely listen to speakers. So really just looking at headphone amps. Appreciate the suggestion though.
No worries, it was just an in case you have a speaker amp on hand thing.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #7,758 of 11,995
Due to my situation, work late, wife and daughter sleeping, I rarely listen to speakers. So really just looking at headphone amps. Appreciate the suggestion though.
This same thing happened to me about 15 years ago. I clung onto my big rig but couldn't listen to it EVER with kids, wife, etc. Headphones got me back on board with listening sessions again and time to listen.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #7,759 of 11,995
Looks like the v280 will go on my list.

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #7,760 of 11,995
If you are still undecided come October join us at ZMFestivus in Chicago. There will be dozens of amps to audition. I too am 5 hours away from Chicago but the drive last year was totally worth it.

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #7,761 of 11,995
If you are still undecided come October join us at ZMFestivus in Chicago. There will be dozens of amps to audition. I too am 5 hours away from Chicago but the drive last year was totally worth it.
Festivus.gif

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #7,762 of 11,995
I really like the looks of the mini. The polished red is just calling to me! But waiting for a few more reviews. Heard the mkii was a little bright. Supposedly the mini is not. That would be great if true.
I’d have a look at the Wells Audio amps too. Listening to the Headtrip as I type this. I’ve owned the Simaudio 430ha from your list and found it a bit boring.

Jul 23, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #7,763 of 11,995
I must be out of the loop. I see these on Forum for sale going for around $2K. Reason I'm interested is I'm looking to upgrade from original LCD-2's. Meze seems to be the flavor of the day at this point but I have no clue.

I have seen these in the B/S/T forum also for around 2K.
At this price point and especially if there is warranty left on the headphones, this headphone will come into play for me and many others looking for another set of cans.
The competition is very competitive at the 2K price point.

At 4K I would never consider them, but at 2K they would be hard not to consider.

Question...were there any PF LCD-4 headphones ?

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #7,764 of 11,995
Thanks for clarifying the Audez'e warranty period, folks. Valuable info.

I, too, had this issue with the larger over-the-ear headphones. It's important to get large HPs positioned correctly ... you can hear the difference.

Here's the advice I've received: for vertical position, centered on the ear. For horizontal, just touching the back of the ear then tilt the headband slightly forward.
I use this method for both my LCD-4 and HD800, and it seems to work well. YMMV.

FYI, friends.
RCB

For the 4, I just discovered an improved presentation if upon wearing i don't bother swinging out the bottom part of the ear cups as to get a better grip when it clamps. Nice dimensional sound of the bottom part is swung in as much as possible then rest on the ear. Solves my imaging problems.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #7,765 of 11,995
I have seen these in the B/S/T forum also for around 2K.
At this price point and especially if there is warranty left on the headphones, this headphone will come into play for me and many others looking for another set of cans.
The competition is very competitive at the 2K price point.

At 4K I would never consider them, but at 2K they would be hard not to consider.

Question...were there any PF LCD-4 headphones ?
There is a pair of LCD-4 listed for sale at $2,000 right now ...

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #7,766 of 11,995
I paid $2k for mine over a year ago from a dealer I know. Just been used for demo purposes in Vegas for a week. Well worth it at that price - best headphones I've ever owned. LCD3 are already very, very good, but I consider the LCD4 to be a slightly better LCD3 (about 10% better at everything).

Just beware - these headphones are quite hard to drive. I've listened on a Woo Audio WA22, which is no slouch, but for them to really shine you'll need a better/more powerful amp.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #7,767 of 11,995
The tech at Audeze says its simple. If you have a powerful amp get the 4......you will get the most out of that amp and of course the HP's. If you do not have a powerful amp get the 4z. That way you can still get good sound and dynamics out of a low power, quality amp.
Agreed.

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #7,768 of 11,995
When trying to buy expensive headphones like the lcd 4s secondhand, I am always worried that there might exist driver issues already and that this is the reason why the headphone is being sold.
When such a headphone has been sold, these kind of issues can always be blamed on "rough" handling during shipping and the buyer would have to live with a $1000 bill per driver.
Every audiophile has decide for himself of course, what risks he is ready to take, but sometimes it is more prudent (especially if a certain hp has been known to develop driver issues) to buy a brand new pair with full warranty. And if you ask nice, most dealers will offer you a substantial discount.

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #7,769 of 11,995
When trying to buy expensive headphones like the lcd 4s secondhand, I am always worried that there might exist driver issues already and that this is the reason why the headphone is being sold.
When such a headphone has been sold, these kind of issues can always be blamed on "rough" handling during shipping and the buyer would have to live with a $1000 bill per driver.
Every audiophile has decide for himself of course, what risks he is ready to take, but sometimes it is more prudent (especially if a certain hp has been known to develop driver issues) to buy a brand new pair with full warranty. And if you ask nice, most dealers will offer you a substantial discount.
Well that’s what you find out in the pm to the seller.......when they were bought, whether there is any warranty left, does he have the sales receipt and are there any other issues with it. If these were 4z I would consider it. By the way, it’s exactly $1,280 to replace both drivers and pads. I already did my research on used 4/4z’s and asked.

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #7,770 of 11,995

Yes, there have been quite a few posted on the B/S/T forums the last couple of months.

Dick, do you know if there has even been any pre-fazors ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back