Audeze LCD-4
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #6,901 of 11,994
Really been enjoying the LCD-4s my friend convinced me to get. First entry into hifi and really not regretting it. Next step will likely to be upgrading my DAC/Amp as I have a very basic setup on that front right now.....

That is a strong first entry into this hobby! I pray for your wallet as you continue. :)

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #6,902 of 11,994
Really been enjoying the LCD-4s my friend convinced me to get. First entry into hifi and really not regretting it. Next step will likely to be upgrading my DAC/Amp as I have a very basic setup on that front right now.....
Well then dive right on in! Should set the bar very high right off the bat and yes your wallet will likely take a beating... But what the heck, they say there never was a U-Haul latched onto a hearse right? At least [most] headphone audio is considerably less expensive than salt water fly fishing, airplanes, photography, for a few pastimes I could think of... =^)

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #6,903 of 11,994

Oh man, you definitely aren't getting nearly the most out of the LCD-4 I'm guessing (if we have similar definitions of "very basic setup"). Congrats and welcome. I've never heard of someone enter Hi-Fi with such an expensive product (granted I don't think the LCD-4 is good for the price, I don't like it being more than $2,000).

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #6,904 of 11,994
That is a strong first entry into this hobby! I pray for your wallet as you continue. :)

Well then dive right on in! Should set the bar very high right off the bat and yes your wallet will likely take a beating... But what the heck, they say there never was a U-Haul latched onto a hearse right? At least [most] headphone audio is considerably less expensive than salt water fly fishing, airplanes, photography, for a few pastimes I could think of... =^)

Oh man, you definitely aren't getting nearly the most out of the LCD-4 I'm guessing (if we have similar definitions of "very basic setup"). Congrats and welcome. I've never heard of someone enter Hi-Fi with such an expensive product (granted I don't think the LCD-4 is good for the price, I don't like it being more than $2,000).

Yeah I am definitely considering upgrading my DAC/AMP from my beginner setup(Cheap D30/Jot) to something proper. I am eyeing the Hugo TT 2 once that gets released. I am also heavily leaning in go to try some more headphone setups. Mostly interested in the Utopia, SR-009s, and Empyrean. I mostly enjoy vocal and classic tracks personally and I really enjoy the smoothness of the LCD-4.

This seems like a really fun hobby mostly because everything is very dependent on individual tastes, which gets me an excuse to try everything LOL

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #6,905 of 11,994
Yeah I am definitely considering upgrading my DAC/AMP from my beginner setup(Cheap D30/Jot) to something proper. I am eyeing the Hugo TT 2 once that gets released. I am also heavily leaning in go to try some more headphone setups. Mostly interested in the Utopia, SR-009s, and Empyrean. I mostly enjoy vocal and classic tracks personally and I really enjoy the smoothness of the LCD-4.

This seems like a really fun hobby mostly because everything is very dependent on individual tastes, which gets me an excuse to try everything LOL

I'd say you have the right idea. I also agree about the Chord Hugo TT 2, which ought to be one of the best DACs period especially for the price, and a stellar class A headphone amp too. One device that will do everything you need, with tons of power for headphones like the LCD-4. And you can always connect it to an electrostatic headphone amp for a Stax SR-009 or SR-009S, and boy will they show you how awesome the DAC is.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #6,906 of 11,994
I'd say you have the right idea. I also agree about the Chord Hugo TT 2, which ought to be one of the best DACs period especially for the price, and a stellar class A headphone amp too. One device that will do everything you need, with tons of power for headphones like the LCD-4. And you can always connect it to an electrostatic headphone amp for a Stax SR-009 or SR-009S, and boy will they show you how awesome the DAC is.

Yep and if I want to upgrade, I can toss a M Scaler on it. I mean, its not as good as a DAVE but thats for later when I know I like Chord DACs and want to get endgame. I heard a lot of good things about the Stax FYI, it seems they are great for details. But it seems they are fairly specialized....

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #6,907 of 11,994
I have both the LCD4 and the Utopia. The LCD4 is very smooth and probably my favorite. But the Utopia is incredibly fast and detailed. I prefer both on tube amps. I use a Woo WA5le. Very spacious and detailed. Lots of power too.

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #6,908 of 11,994
I have both the LCD4 and the Utopia. The LCD4 is very smooth and probably my favorite. But the Utopia is incredibly fast and detailed. I prefer both on tube amps. I use a Woo WA5le. Very spacious and detailed. Lots of power too.

Yeah LCD4 is smooth as butter. At first I preferred the Utopia but the LCD4 eventually got more and more head time. I quite easily sold my Utopia in favor of the Stax 009, it's even faster and more detailed. But I'm having a harder time letting my LCD4 go. Although the 009 is hands down "better", the velvety LCD4 sound is super addictive and easy to enjoy for hours. It's the only headphone I've heard that manages to keep a reasonably benchmark resolution coupled with a thick lush sound.

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #6,909 of 11,994
Yeah LCD4 is smooth as butter. At first I preferred the Utopia but the LCD4 eventually got more and more head time. I quite easily sold my Utopia in favor of the Stax 009, it's even faster and more detailed. But I'm having a harder time letting my LCD4 go. Although the 009 is hands down "better", the velvety LCD4 sound is super addictive and easy to enjoy for hours. It's the only headphone I've heard that manages to keep a reasonably benchmark resolution coupled with a thick lush sound.
Agree. Have you tried Roon and DSP. It is very good, has an Audeze curve for all the current LCD series. You can also tweak the EQ on top to suit your taste.

I had my 009 and Carbon combo on -2dB 5khz-12khz, and the LCD4 on +2.5dB 6khz-12khz. Bass I leave alone, and it is almost impossible to boost anyway as most modern recordings are so close to 0dB max, clipping would be horrible. Fatigue on the 009 was quite high, and I struggled to listen much to metal for example, and some female vocals didn't work so well. The LCD4 is less successful on orchestral possibly. However, I don't have a huge raft of music I avoid anymore. The LCD4s are very close to my big horn speakers and sub combo, the 009 more like a very detailed headphone.

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #6,910 of 11,994
Agree. Have you tried Roon and DSP. It is very good, has an Audeze curve for all the current LCD series. You can also tweak the EQ on top to suit your taste.

I had my 009 and Carbon combo on -2dB 5khz-12khz, and the LCD4 on +2.5dB 6khz-12khz. Bass I leave alone, and it is almost impossible to boost anyway as most modern recordings are so close to 0dB max, clipping would be horrible. Fatigue on the 009 was quite high, and I struggled to listen much to metal for example, and some female vocals didn't work so well. The LCD4 is less successful on orchestral possibly. However, I don't have a huge raft of music I avoid anymore. The LCD4s are very close to my big horn speakers and sub combo, the 009 more like a very detailed headphone.

Haven't tried the Roon DSP yet... I'll have to give that a go. Yes I can see how someone would find the 009 fatiguing.. personally I thirst for transparency/resolution above all else and 009 quenches that for me. LCD4 is definitely a good complementary sound, almost complete opposite in presentation!

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #6,911 of 11,994
Haven't tried the Roon DSP yet... I'll have to give that a go. Yes I can see how someone would find the 009 fatiguing.. personally I thirst for transparency/resolution above all else and 009 quenches that for me. LCD4 is definitely a good complementary sound, almost complete opposite in presentation!
The Roon Audeze profile made a fairly big difference to me. Its better with it.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #6,912 of 11,994
Agree. Have you tried Roon and DSP... Bass I leave alone, and it is almost impossible to boost anyway as most modern recordings are so close to 0dB max, clipping would be horrible

Go into the Headroom Management tab and set it to -3 to -6 db. That will give you room to adjust the bass. The price is that you will need to turn up the volume.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #6,913 of 11,994
Thanks for the info.

4.jpg
You can do it another way. If you go into the EQ curve, there is a gain adjustment at the bottom of that window. Set it to maybe -2dB in the case if clipping is apparent. I don't see any yet, probably as I haven't altered the bass regions where the signal tends to get closer so 0dB.

There is a clipping red warning that can be turned on in Headroom Management. It have set headroom in here
3.jpg
2.jpg
to 0dB just to see the red indicator, check if I am getting clipping.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #6,914 of 11,994
Thanks for the info.

You can do it another way. If you go into the EQ curve, there is a gain adjustment at the bottom of that window. Set it to maybe -2dB in the case if clipping is apparent. I don't see any yet, probably as I haven't altered the bass regions where the signal tends to get closer so 0dB.

There is a clipping red warning that can be turned on in Headroom Management. It have set headroom in here to 0dB just to see the red indicator, check if I am getting clipping.
Thank you so much. I installed Roon and it works so well with Tidal and my LCD-4s.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #6,915 of 11,994
Yes indeed. I used to use Audirvana+ and it was the best for some years, finally ended with 3.1 early this year. Roon build 2018 has improved a LOT. Not surprising I guess, many of the player software are on mean band, though excellent at what they have achieved. However, Roon to my ears sounds totally smooth in the treble, must more analogue. Treble quality in the other players (A+, PurePlayer, Amarra) sound edgy and a bit too sharp to me, less natural. It sound t first they have more details, more decay defy etc. But is a false friend, it is the coarse edges to the notes, a subtle but audible edge, highlighting the leading edges and so on. When I first tried Roon 2018, I thought, hell, there the detail gone! But inside 10 minutes I realised it is all still there with no extenuation, more it is smoother, pure, more real.

I haven't tried HQ Player inside Roon, and don't need DSD conversion or up sampling. Tidal works great inside Roon, and sounds better than the Tidal app or Tidal via the browser (on hifi setting).

Not saying Roon is perfect, why is, but it is the best player both for sound quality and user experience IMO.

Anyone got confused by the shuffle thing? That is a negative, I have trouble switching that off in all the views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back