Audeze LCD-4
Apr 5, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #6,556 of 12,053
LCD-4Z is imminent!

Looks like a lower impedance LCD-4 and also comes with wood rings OR the MX4 style magnesium chassis. Jude previewed it in the new SoCal Canjam video.

I have been running a pair since before Christmas, cannot say too much, however it is my go to headphone. Big difference over the LCD-4 200 ohm and 100ohm (which I think sounds better)

Certainly in my current top three. Abyss Phi, Susvara and Audeze LCD-**

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #6,557 of 12,053
So what're the main differences between the LCD-4Z and MX4? They're both basically an admission that LCD-4 was overpriced, no?

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #6,558 of 12,053
Big question here is can I upgrade my 4’s drivers to 4Z?

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #6,560 of 12,053
So what're the main differences between the LCD-4Z and MX4? They're both basically an admission that LCD-4 was overpriced, no?[/QUOTE

Since Jude verbally did not indicate a price point nor did the included graphics on the 4Z the above is a conclusion without support. I expect(with nothing to go on) the price to be the same as the 4.
Big question here is can I upgrade my 4’s drivers to 4Z?

Do you have information that the drivers are different? This is the first mention of the new product. I searched and found nothing else available including technical specification which this preview did not provide

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #6,562 of 12,053
I mean I would assume lower impedence=different driver, and since you can get the 4Z with the wood cups design hopefully that means the drivers can be swapped out with our 100 or 200ohm wood versions. Audeze has allowed this in the past with updated 2016 LCD-X, and LCD-3 drivers so I would imagine this could be a thing. I’ll find out at CanJam this Saturday and report back unless Audeze chimes in here before that.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #6,563 of 12,053
So what're the main differences between the LCD-4Z and MX4? They're both basically an admission that LCD-4 was overpriced, no?

LCD-4 itself is the master of sound, one headphone to truly impress, but it came with hard to drive and heavy design. This doesn't make it any less amazing sounding, but there have been request for something lighter or easier to drive, Audeze delivering on that is just pure love as well :)

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #6,565 of 12,053
And that the MX4 was a total failure and sounds HORRIFIC compared to the rest of the lineup.

Is this from your experience with the MX4? I’ve only heard good things about it’s sound. This is the first negative. I’ve been thinking of getting a set but not if it’s as you describe.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #6,566 of 12,053
The low end is way too extended and dull/less impactful. The Mids are more narrow and my god are they are MUFFLED compared to any other LCD. They high end is ok. They traded a lot of sound quality to make them ultra sensitive....oh yea...also easily over driven and become unlistenable if they weren't already.

If you still want to get the MX4 I will give you a good deal on my pair...

You can also tell that a lot of the "reviews" in the MX4 thread are BS "paid for by somebody" crap. Sift through it and you will find negatives.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #6,567 of 12,053
And that the MX4 was a total failure and sounds HORRIFIC compared to the rest of the lineup.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Powering them from something respectable, like a FiiO X7mkii + AM05 , or a iBasso DX200 + AMP5 gives one of the most interesting sounds I ever heard about.

Have you heard them personally, or why do you believe they sound like that? What even makes you say that, the technical side of the sound is similar to LCD-4, but they also have a bit more musicality.

Is this from your experience with the MX4? I’ve only heard good things about it’s sound. This is the first negative. I’ve been thinking of getting a set but not if it’s as you describe.

I don't think you have to worry, it is an amazing headphone.

The low end is way too extended and dull/less impactful. The Mids are more narrow and my god are they are MUFFLED compared to any other LCD. They high end is ok. They traded a lot of sound quality to make them ultra sensitive....oh yea...also easily over driven and become unlistenable if they weren't already.

If you still want to get the MX4 I will give you a good deal on my pair...

I don't think you can have the bass too extended :)

For dull / less impactful, they render what you're feeding them, with death metal they sound quick and impactful, although not overbearing, mostly within the neutral part of things with a side of impact

For the midrange, I'd say that they overdo LCD-2, maybe not reach quite LCD-4, but really, LCD-4 is 1K$ more

Didn't have a chance to compare with LCD-3 yet, so can't say hjow the midrange compares, but compared to LCD-2, it has more detail and more breathing space, at least driven from DX200 or X7mkii

How did you manage to overdrive them? I am a bit curious as I listen very very loud, and never managed to overdrive them powering them from FiiO Q5, X7mkii, DX200 all on extremely loud levels. Maybe if the source has tons of power but not the same refinement as X7mkii or DX200 offers, like an Opus #1s, which is extremely strong, you could be not satisfied with the power / clean-n-ness ratio, but with X7mkii or DX200 I really think I am a happy camper.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #6,568 of 12,053
I wholeheartedly disagree. Powering them from something respectable, like a FiiO X7mkii + AM05 , or a iBasso DX200 + AMP5 gives one of the most interesting sounds I ever heard about.

Have you heard them personally, or why do you believe they sound like that? What even makes you say that, the technical side of the sound is similar to LCD-4, but they also have a bit more musicality.

I don't think you have to worry, it is an amazing headphone.

I don't think you can have the bass too extended :)

For dull / less impactful, they render what you're feeding them, with death metal they sound quick and impactful, although not overbearing, mostly within the neutral part of things with a side of impact

For the midrange, I'd say that they overdo LCD-2, maybe not reach quite LCD-4, but really, LCD-4 is 1K$ more

Didn't have a chance to compare with LCD-3 yet, so can't say hjow the midrange compares, but compared to LCD-2, it has more detail and more breathing space, at least driven from DX200 or X7mkii

How did you manage to overdrive them? I am a bit curious as I listen very very loud, and never managed to overdrive them powering them from FiiO Q5, X7mkii, DX200 all on extremely loud levels. Maybe if the source has tons of power but not the same refinement as X7mkii or DX200 offers, like an Opus #1s, which is extremely strong, you could be not satisfied with the power / clean-n-ness ratio, but with X7mkii or DX200 I really think I am a happy camper.

^^^^^^^ SEE^^^^^^^

This is exactly what I'm talking about. A reviewer that can not be critical. Everything is great and all comparisons end up being a tie in some way or another.

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/

check them out.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #6,569 of 12,053

YMMV.

I love almost the entire Audeze line-up and was quite taken by the MX4's. It's an outlier compared to the rest, but that doesn't mean it's not a good sounding headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back