Audeze LCD-4
Mar 21, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #6,541 of 12,053
Thanks for that. I went back and forth between other cables both balanced and unbalanced on my LCD4, but, for some reason, the unbalanced handled digital glare better (something I have always had an issue with all Audezes).
So I went with the single ended 1/4 inch plug at the high impedance setting of my amp for the Lazuli cable and it's fine.
Balanced has a little more clarity, but the SE is more musical and easygoing to me, and not anywhere near opaque or wooly with the Lazuli.
Thanks again for the impression.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #6,542 of 12,053
Thanks for that. I went back and forth between other cables both balanced and unbalanced on my LCD4, but, for some reason, the unbalanced handled digital glare better (something I have always had an issue with all Audezes).
So I went with the single ended 1/4 inch plug at the high impedance setting of my amp for the Lazuli cable and it's fine.
Balanced has a little more clarity, but the SE is more musical and easygoing to me, and not anywhere near opaque or wooly with the Lazuli.
Thanks again for the impression.

This has always been my experience also. My guess would be that it’s because the balanced signal is going thru more components and that’s rarely a good thing. The extra power provided with balanced output is nice though if needed.

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #6,543 of 12,053
This is a duplicate of my post from the LCD-MX4 thread, as I think that LCD-4 owners would also be curious to know it :)

Very intriguing experience with LCD-MX4 today :)

I am back in Bucharest after a rather long business trip for my company in my hometown and I had the chance to meet with one of my old friends, one of the best drummers in Romania .

I was wearing LCD-MX4 as I was taking a stroll through the evening streets of Bucharest and I was enjoying some music when I noticed his energetic figure approaching me.

From one thing to another, he asked me what those headphones are and how much they cost. After telling him a few things about LCD-MX4, he told me that he really wantds to try them. They were connected to Xiaomi Mi Max 2 and FiiO Q5+AMP5 as sources.

We tried the song Metallica - St. Anger, one of the best test songs for percution and headphone accuracy when it comes to drums.

My friend listened to the whole song with an amazed expression on his face, unable to even breathe properly and moving around while listening to LCD-MX4.

After finishing the song, he told me that those are the best sounding and most accurate headphones he ever tried in his entire life, and even his studio equipment at his home can't render that song as good as LCD-MX4 powered by a portable source can. Since I'm not exactly a drummer, I asked him to detail a bit, and he told me that their attack is extremely spot on and that the timing of the drums is so clear and crispy that he could feel the original drum kit used for recording that song, (seems that this is one of the very few times something is able to render a that song well), and my friend told me that he is now considering purchasing an Audeze Headphone for his studio and his work, as he fell in love with those.

(Photo taken by me, Audeze LCD-MX4 and Cayin N6 DAP :) )

DZK6aT7X4AAZphO.jpg:large

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #6,544 of 12,053
This is a duplicate of my post from the LCD-MX4 thread, as I think that LCD-4 owners would also be curious to know it :)

Very intriguing experience with LCD-MX4 today :)

I am back in Bucharest after a rather long business trip for my company in my hometown and I had the chance to meet with one of my old friends, one of the best drummers in Romania .

I was wearing LCD-MX4 as I was taking a stroll through the evening streets of Bucharest and I was enjoying some music when I noticed his energetic figure approaching me.

From one thing to another, he asked me what those headphones are and how much they cost. After telling him a few things about LCD-MX4, he told me that he really wantds to try them. They were connected to Xiaomi Mi Max 2 and FiiO Q5+AMP5 as sources.

We tried the song Metallica - St. Anger, one of the best test songs for percution and headphone accuracy when it comes to drums.

My friend listened to the whole song with an amazed expression on his face, unable to even breathe properly and moving around while listening to LCD-MX4.

After finishing the song, he told me that those are the best sounding and most accurate headphones he ever tried in his entire life, and even his studio equipment at his home can't render that song as good as LCD-MX4 powered by a portable source can. Since I'm not exactly a drummer, I asked him to detail a bit, and he told me that their attack is extremely spot on and that the timing of the drums is so clear and crispy that he could feel the original drum kit used for recording that song, (seems that this is one of the very few times something is able to render a that song well), and my friend told me that he is now considering purchasing an Audeze Headphone for his studio and his work, as he fell in love with those.

(Photo taken by me, Audeze LCD-MX4 and Cayin N6 DAP :) )

DZK6aT7X4AAZphO.jpg:large
And they’ll sound even better once you change out the stock cable.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #6,545 of 12,053
And they’ll sound even better once you change out the stock cable.

I am actually running a custom cable with them at this moment, but the custom cable mostly likely made the bass a bit thicker and added some smoothness to the overall sound to my ears.

The cable I am running is Van Damme cable with Neutrik Connectors made by those guys:

http://highertasteproject.com/shop/...ontroller=product#/length-1_2m/colour-06_blue

I got it because I end up using MX4 mostly portably while out and about, so I needed a shorter cable which is terminated in 3.5mm rather than 6.3mm.

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #6,546 of 12,053
I am actually running a custom cable with them at this moment, but the custom cable mostly likely made the bass a bit thicker and added some smoothness to the overall sound to my ears.

The cable I am running is Van Damme cable with Neutrik Connectors made by those guys:

http://highertasteproject.com/shop/...ontroller=product#/length-1_2m/colour-06_blue

I got it because I end up using MX4 mostly portably while out and about, so I needed a shorter cable which is terminated in 3.5mm rather than 6.3mm.
Link no worky. I noticed that every aftermarket cable that I own from 75.00 to 800.00 produced quite obvious better bass and mids than the stock cable, but that’s just me.

Never mind, I got to the link. Cheap prices! Nice.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #6,548 of 12,053
Burson conductor v2+ can drive this headphone?

Yes, it even drove my HE-6 to a level and quality that I was happy with. I then switched to a much more powerful Wells audio amp,
and while the HE-6 played louder, sound quality out of them was no better (other than amp sound signature differences).
The LCD-4 is of course less demanding than the HE-6 . The CV2+ ran mine to levels louder than I care to ever listen to.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #6,549 of 12,053
Yes, it even drove my HE-6 to a level and quality that I was happy with. I then switched to a much more powerful Wells audio amp,
and while the HE-6 played louder, sound quality out of them was no better (other than amp sound signature differences).
The LCD-4 is of course less demanding than the HE-6 . The CV2+ ran mine to levels louder than I care to ever listen to.
Do you have the lcd 4 of 100 ohm?

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #6,553 of 12,053
I was worried too before I bought my CV2+ and LCD-4. I emailed Burson about it and they assured me that it would drive the
LCD-4 easily. They were right.
i asked to Audeze for the power requeriment
the Audeze said the ideal is 1 - 4 at 200ohm, the CV2+ give 656~mw to 200 ohm, but audeze said is still suficient with 0.5w+ but not ideal, but is enough
i don't know if i buy the cv2 or mjolnir 2, i can only test the CV2+ with my actual headphone ( Ether flow ) and i like it!, but in the future i could buy the lcd4

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #6,554 of 12,053
i asked to Audeze for the power requeriment
the Audeze said the ideal is 1 - 4 at 200ohm, the CV2+ give 656~mw to 200 ohm, but audeze said is still suficient with 0.5w+ but not ideal, but is enough
i don't know if i buy the cv2 or mjolnir 2, i can only test the CV2+ with my actual headphone ( Ether flow ) and i like it!, but in the future i could buy the lcd4

I can only say that the CV2+ drove my LCD-4 without issue and let the lcd-4 be all they can be. The amp was not holding them back.
I also owned the Mjolnir 2 with some of the best tubes ( reflektor ‘74 and ‘75 amongst others) out there. Coming off my Burson, the Mjolnir2 came off as more cerebral wheareas the Burson was more visceral.
While I thought the MJ2 was somewhat refined and smooth, it was boring sounding compared to the Burson. The MJ2 just didn’t get my toes tapping the way the Burson did. I reconnected the Burson and it was an ahhhh moment. The excitement was back. I sold the MJ2 after just maybe a month. These are just my experiences but having said that, I’ve been in the hobby since the 70’s.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #6,555 of 12,053
LCD-4Z is imminent!

Looks like a lower impedance LCD-4 and also comes with wood rings OR the MX4 style magnesium chassis. Jude previewed it in the new SoCal Canjam video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back