Audeze LCD-4
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #6,361 of 11,994
How it went for me on both the 3s and 4s was that it wasn't immediate. On the 4s, I'd recall picking them up after being on pause (but the amp not off) and finding that the left channel was not there. For a period of time, increasing the volume (beyond normal listening levels) would bring the driver back, until one day even max volume would not.

I remember something similar with the 3s, insofar as it being sporadic and not failing all at once, but cannot remember enough to characterize it as or not being the same with the 4s, which are fresh in my memory.

My LCD-4 had a driver failure a few weeks ago and i just got them back repaired and all is well....I have owned the LCD-3 and 3 copies of the LCD-4 and this is my first driver failure...in truth I have heard the failure rate of the 4's has been very low....there are problems with all of the high end HP's....utopia's have had all kinds of issues and Focal doesnt take care of its product like Audeze does...I too resent having to pay to ship my HP's back insured which costs a pretty penny but in the end i love the sound of the 4's

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #6,362 of 11,994
My LCD-4 had a driver failure a few weeks ago and i just got them back repaired and all is well....I have owned the LCD-3 and 3 copies of the LCD-4 and this is my first driver failure...in truth I have heard the failure rate of the 4's has been very low....there are problems with all of the high end HP's....utopia's have had all kinds of issues and Focal doesnt take care of its product like Audeze does...I too resent having to pay to ship my HP's back insured which costs a pretty penny but in the end i love the sound of the 4's

Probably the fact that we keep pushing the technology more and more has some minor drawbacks.

I heard that Audeze is quite excellent in their service, so sending the pair back for repairs should be a pretty hassle-free process and provide excellent results though, and let's be honest, with the sound of LCD-4, it is very hard to stay without them for a long period of time, but for the repair times, it is worthy :darthsmile:

The failure rate might be from the same batch, as it has happened with a few high-end headphones and DAPs before, this usually changes after a quick fix :smile_phones:

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #6,363 of 11,994
I dunno, I may be in the new toy/honeymoon phase, but I'm really struck by the sound of my new Stax SR-009s. Sure, with energizer, they are (and can be ) way more than LCD-4s, however, I have big expectations for build quality and longevity.

Probably the fact that we keep pushing the technology more and more has some minor drawbacks.

I heard that Audeze is quite excellent in their service, so sending the pair back for repairs should be a pretty hassle-free process and provide excellent results though, and let's be honest, with the sound of LCD-4, it is very hard to stay without them for a long period of time, but for the repair times, it is worthy :darthsmile:

The failure rate might be from the same batch, as it has happened with a few high-end headphones and DAPs before, this usually changes after a quick fix :smile_phones:

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #6,364 of 11,994
I dunno, I may be in the new toy/honeymoon phase, but I'm really struck by the sound of my new Stax SR-009s. Sure, with energizer, they are (and can be ) way more than LCD-4s, however, I have big expectations for build quality and longevity.

As much as i used to love the lcd4( i owned one for 6 months), the weight got to me in the end
That said, a 009/007 and a proper amp has never left me looking back. They are indeed incredible :)

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #6,365 of 11,994
How it went for me on both the 3s and 4s was that it wasn't immediate. On the 4s, I'd recall picking them up after being on pause (but the amp not off) and finding that the left channel was not there. For a period of time, increasing the volume (beyond normal listening levels) would bring the driver back, until one day even max volume would not.

I remember something similar with the 3s, insofar as it being sporadic and not failing all at once, but cannot remember enough to characterize it as or not being the same with the 4s, which are fresh in my memory.

Can I ask, were the LCD4s the current build i.e. late 2017 or the 100 ohm 2016 without the ear cups release material.

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #6,366 of 11,994
Got my LCD-4 back, I'm happy to say I don't hear any difference with the new one so at least the LCD-4 is consistent.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #6,368 of 11,994
As much as i used to love the lcd4( i owned one for 6 months), the weight got to me in the end
That said, a 009/007 and a proper amp has never left me looking back. They are indeed incredible :)

Exactly!

I forgot about the weight and while I'm at it, what's up with the environment-raping, exotic wood rings that are $400 to replace, are a liability, have chipped on me twice now (3s and 4s), and add 0 to the sound (and presumably at least $400 to the price tag)? Let's face it, no one's winning a beauty contest wearing any of the flagships out there, save maybe the HE1000, so let's put some practical, lightweight, and damage-resistant components on these things already!

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #6,369 of 11,994
Exactly!

I forgot about the weight and while I'm at it, what's up with the environment-raping, exotic wood rings that are $400 to replace, are a liability, have chipped on me twice now (3s and 4s), and add 0 to the sound (and presumably at least $400 to the price tag)? Let's face it, no one's winning a beauty contest wearing any of the flagships out there, save maybe the HE1000, so let's put some practical, lightweight, and damage-resistant components on these things already!

Along with their sound, the exotic wood rings are what sets them apart from the pack. Who doesn’t love a beautiful wood and excellent craftsmanship? I’m also fine with the weight as it’s well distributed and gives them a sense of quality. I’ve worn my for hours without neck fatigue or listening fatigue. If Audeze ever goes generic, lightweight headphones with run of the mill woods, I will likely look elsewhere for my headphone purchase.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #6,370 of 11,994
Along with their sound, the exotic wood rings are what sets them apart from the pack. Who doesn’t love a beautiful wood and excellent craftsmanship? I’m also fine with the weight as it’s well distributed and gives them a sense of quality. I’ve worn my for hours without neck fatigue or listening fatigue. If Audeze ever goes generic, lightweight headphones with run of the mill woods, I will likely look elsewhere for my headphone purchase.

This makes no sense. Unless you're looking in a mirror at yourself while listening as part of your experience, the wood brings nothing to the sound. On the flip side, if wood choice matters to you so much that it outweighs the sound of the product so much that you'd jump ship to something potentially not as good sounding, then I'd say your priorities are very skewed.

After my experience with Audeze, I want something that sounds good that is not a liability (i.e. the wood rings) to handle. My SR-009s look cheap and plastic-y compared to the LCD-4s, but I'm wearing them (at home, by myself, not in front of a mirror, I might add), so I could care less what they/I look like.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #6,371 of 11,994
I suppose it’s a to each his own thing. Form AND function are important to me which is why I won’t buy a pair of Abyss planars.
Ugly as sin but sound excellent. I of course do put more emphasis on sound but at 4K, I want good looks too. Beautiful wood with plush leather can’t be beat. Everyone who’s every laid eyes on my Cocobolo’s has stated how gorgeous they are and would love to own them without even having heard them.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #6,372 of 11,994
Exactly!

You've managed to chip hardwoods on your 3 and 4, and had driver failures on both... Are you playing baseball with them on or something?

Also, Audeze heard your request and made the LCD-MX4... no exotic woods, strong metal, yet lighter weight... and cheaper too.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #6,373 of 11,994
You've managed to chip hardwoods on your 3 and 4, and had driver failures on both... Are you playing baseball with them on or something?

Also, Audeze heard your request and made the LCD-MX4... no exotic woods, strong metal, yet lighter weight... and cheaper too.

Yes, you figured it out. Playing baseball. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

The 3s and 4s cracked mysteriously as far as I know. They were kept in houses that were humidified during the winter, so environment shouldn't have been an issue.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #6,374 of 11,994
Yes, you figured it out. Playing baseball. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

The 3s and 4s cracked mysteriously as far as I know. They were kept in houses that were humidified during the winter, so environment shouldn't have been an issue.

I had my LCD-XC arrive with one of the cups cracked, presumably during shipping due to environment temp/humidity changes. It was 115F outside and about 5-10% humidity the day they arrived. I'm surprised that would happen once they were in your house though, where the environment is more stable.

Glad baseball wasn't a factor. :beerchug:

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #6,375 of 11,994
I can imagine a hot delivery van parked up in CA in summer, temps up to 55°C....

But back to failures, I sympathise with the cases here, but Utopias have had driver failures, and don't forget they don't pass on there warranty so resale may be bad. Then the Stax 007s and 009s have also had driver failures reported on here and at the other place. The 009s were 'fixed' but I read cases fairly recently. I also heard of some Abyss driver failures, not sure about the warranty on those. Oddly not heard of any Hifi-Man, not looked very hard though. IMO high end cans can be fragile. If we take care of them, use decent amps to drive them and store under a glass bell jar or in the supplied case should be ok. No idea, but if folk leave then out all day and night in the dust, on top of hot amps or near a radiator, near a window that gets direct sun, put them on roughly (suction thing) lots of reasons to damage any HP there.

My current concern is how the LCD4 are going on QC, and the amount of driver issues. No idea on sales numbers on Audeze for the LCD2, LCD3 and LCD4s, but may be higher than the Stax 007 and 009? Totally guessing. But reports on the Audeze will be vocal on here, maybe the home market of Stax less so, so only the Western Stax users will post here?

No idea. Anyway, 3 years warranty is pretty good at Audeze, and I did ask if they would sell a replacement driver set as cost / more or less cost for a failed driver out of warranty and they said they would do that.

Thoughts guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back