Audeze LCD-4
Dec 5, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #6,241 of 11,995
I will post after some more time with the LCD-4. First impression is better bass impact and larger sound stage. May be a matter of one is better than the other for different types of music. Will update in a few days.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #6,242 of 11,995
Sort of.

- Taurus - Appears difficult to find easily, and even harder to demo if I wanted to. I was reading about the Cayin iHA-6 which would apparently be a great substitute for quite a bit less.

Taurus has been on discount several times. Quite good deals to be had. I don't recall who wrote that review of the iHA-6, I think John Grandberg?, but I had the impression it said the Cayin competes very well with the Taurus SINGLE ENDED. While I estimate John highly and hear a lot of the stuff he hears, I think that comparison is a bit off and misleading. The Taurus balanced is quite a treat and a feature that can't be left out of the comparison; simply a step up for a lot of headphones.

- V281 - It's $2300. I don't see any used to have an idea of what the used market is like.
[\QUOTE]
I think you just missed some 25% off black friday deal... or did I dream that? All right, still a bit over your budget. But brand new...
- HE-9 - Too big for my space. As I mentioned, space is a premium for me, so size is important. I said I don't want a VCR. Doesn't matter how good it is if I can't fit it in my space. That comment was actually almost specifically with regard to the Audio-GD line. lol
I'm sorry, I had no clue whatsoever regarding its size. That part of the review is the one I actually always skip. Size doesn't matter, I care but about the performance ^^ (that line sounds familiar to some people?)

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #6,243 of 11,995
^ if you could point me in the direction of a Taurus dearler, that'd be nice. I don't know where to even look. And I have looked.

I just got my LCD-4 and was looking for an amp with a lot of power. I got a Wells Audio Milo. It's around your budget and is also unique in that it's taller than it is wide for your space limitations. Highly recommended, I love it.
added to my list! will check it out. tyvm.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #6,244 of 11,995
It is very hard especially if your not in a large metropolitan area to audition headphone equipment. I have had very good luck with Auralic equipment. I have not heard the Taurus but have owned the Vega DAC and Aries Mini streamer. They are very high quality equipment. Audio Advisor and HiFi Heaven have the Taurus on sale for $1499. HiFi Heaven has a demo model for $1099 which I would expect to have a full factory warranty. I have purchased from both and were satisfied with the service I received. Good luck with your search.

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #6,245 of 11,995
I have not heard the Taurus but have owned the Vega DAC and Aries Mini streamer.

While I now use a Moon 430HA, which is somewhat overall better sound-wise than the Taurus II, but the 430 HA is a physically big HP amp and quite a bit more expensive than the Auralic HP amp. The LCD-4 (both the original 100 ohm and 200 ohm versions) does works very well with the Taurus II, which I had before the 430HA, and if you can get it as a demo, or used, at a good price, I do recommend getting it to drive the LCD-4.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #6,246 of 11,995
I just got my LCD-4 and was looking for an amp with a lot of power. I got a Wells Audio Milo. It's around your budget and is also unique in that it's taller than it is wide for your space limitations. Highly recommended, I love it.
I agree on the Milo. It is a great little amp. I have one with upgraded volume control and ByBee in the AC lines. It sounds so musical and with lots of power. I also have an Enigma upgraded close to Headtrip level and the Milo is not far behind it.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 6, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #6,247 of 11,995
I will post after some more time with the LCD-4. First impression is better bass impact and larger sound stage. May be a matter of one is better than the other for different types of music. Will update in a few days.
And your impressions of LCD-4 vs. LCD-3. Thank you.

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #6,248 of 11,995
I just received my new LCD-4.
Ordered Saturday and delivered Tuesday via FedEx Express from CA to Tennessee. Well done, @Audeze!

My rig is shown below. The Schiit GMB (w/ Gen 5 USB) and Bryston BHA-1 amp drive the LCD-4 very well.

Initial impressions are the LCD-4 beat the (previously owned) LCD-X and XC by a wide margin.
Particularly around the voices and instrument definition.
There are more layers in the music than I've heard - including with my HD800.
The sound is very engaging. The more I listened, the more I wanted to listen.
Maybe the best accolade a headphone could get.

Thanks to @pippen99. You were right, my friend, the LCD-4 beat the LCD-X in every way!
And, thank you for letting me audition your LCD-4 on my rig! That experience was invaluable.

More impressions to come!
Cheers,
RCB

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #6,250 of 11,995
Another vote for the Milo. You can also send in for upgrades in the future.. Khozmo, Bybee, and the Eventually the Referece if you go all out.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #6,251 of 11,995
I use my LCD4s with a Pro iCan, and it works very well. Mine has been reliable too. DAC is a Modi Multibit for now, in the future once funds allow, hoping to upgrade to a Holo Spring.

So far, I just can't imagine transducers sounding better than this. Any improvements I need I think will come easily from a better DAC and maybe a different amp down the line. But for now, it's wonderful.

I use WireWorld RCAs, a WireWorld USB cable, and a Jitterbug as well. Second-from-entry-level on the cables in the lineup for WireWorld, whatever that model is called. Stock blue LCD4 XLR cable.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #6,252 of 11,995
I use my LCD4s with a Pro iCan, and it works very well. Mine has been reliable too. DAC is a Modi Multibit for now, in the future once funds allow, hoping to upgrade to a Holo Spring.

So far, I just can't imagine transducers sounding better than this. Any improvements I need I think will come easily from a better DAC and maybe a different amp down the line. But for now, it's wonderful.

I use WireWorld RCAs, a WireWorld USB cable, and a Jitterbug as well. Second-from-entry-level on the cables in the lineup for WireWorld, whatever that model is called. Stock blue LCD4 XLR cable.
I agree. I too think the LCD-4 will scale well with better DACs.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #6,253 of 11,995
First impressions of LCD-4 vs Utopia. Full burn in on LCD-4 is not done so take with a grain of salt. LCD-4 is slightly dark, but only in comparison to Utopia which is slightly bright. Deeper and more plentiful bass, smoother highs on LCD-4. Both have similar mid range. Utopia seems to have tighter bass and mid bass. Maybe a little quicker. Treble is more pronounced on Utopia. I think highs are the strength of the Utopia. Type of music really determines which I prefer.
Hard rock(Motley Crue, Gun's n Roses, Van Halen)LCD-4
EDM, modern pop-LCD-4
Classic rock or pop(Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, Prince, Genesis) Utopia.
Not the greatest quality recording(MP3) LCD-4. The extra energy of the Utopia is exaggerated.
Both of these headphones are incredible. Can't really go wrong. Both sound fantastic with tube amplification. Haven't found a solid state amp I like with Utopia.
If you are a Audeze fan and really like their house sound then the LCD-4 is the no brainer choice. Your end game headphone.(at least till the next model comes out)

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #6,254 of 11,995
I agree on the Milo. It is a great little amp. I have one with upgraded volume control and ByBee in the AC lines. It sounds so musical and with lots of power. I also have an Enigma upgraded close to Headtrip level and the Milo is not far behind it.
I would say, based on the equipment and experience of this Head-Fier, that @musicman59 has recommendations for us all to consider!
BTW, Go Blue! My family is from Michigan...oops, TMI.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #6,255 of 11,995
First impressions of LCD-4 vs Utopia. Full burn in on LCD-4 is not done so take with a grain of salt. LCD-4 is slightly dark, but only in comparison to Utopia which is slightly bright. Deeper and more plentiful bass, smoother highs on LCD-4. Both have similar mid range. Utopia seems to have tighter bass and mid bass. Maybe a little quicker. Treble is more pronounced on Utopia. I think highs are the strength of the Utopia. Type of music really determines which I prefer.
Hard rock(Motley Crue, Gun's n Roses, Van Halen)LCD-4
EDM, modern pop-LCD-4
Classic rock or pop(Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, Prince, Genesis) Utopia.
Not the greatest quality recording(MP3) LCD-4. The extra energy of the Utopia is exaggerated.
Both of these headphones are incredible. Can't really go wrong. Both sound fantastic with tube amplification. Haven't found a solid state amp I like with Utopia.
If you are a Audeze fan and really like their house sound then the LCD-4 is the no brainer choice. Your end game headphone.(at least till the next model comes out)

Nice mini-review! Fully agree the LCD-4 are end-game Audez'e.
My LCD-4 came with a card stating they'd been burned-in at the factory. Signed by the QA technician.

I've not heard the Utopia, but own the HD800. I bought the LCD-4 to complement my HD800.

Just one comment...the LCD-4 only sound "dark" when switching from the brighter (Utopia or HD800) headphones.
Once my brain gets used to the Audez'e sound, then they don't sound dark at all.
If I stay w/ the LCD-4 from day to day, they sound just perfect.
But when I switch back to the HD800, they sound overly bright. Until the brain adapts back...

I, too, find the LCD-4 to have superb bass (!) and very smooth mids/treble.
And, IMO, great transitions between bass - mids - treble.
The sound is fluid and fast.
The voices are very well presented...may be the best attribute of these cans.
I'm still listening to my old music and forming new opinions, with every album that I hear.
What a fun ride this is!

Cheers,
RCB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back