Audeze LCD-4
Nov 5, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #6,226 of 11,995
Play yesterday my Lcd4 with Riviera Aic-10, absolutely the best!

img_5611.jpg

You can read the review on 6moons.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #6,228 of 11,995
I am really liking the Audeze Reveal VST plugin, been trying it out for the past week.
It is not a heavy EQ, it keeps all the character of the LCD4. It sounds more balanced, livelier, clearer vocals.
I like the Dry/Wet adjustment from 0 to 100%, it makes it simple. It gets brighter as you go up in percent but sounds the same otherwise.
Initially I had it on the default 100% but after a few hours my ears started to tire more than usual so using it on 24% now.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #6,229 of 11,995
Reveal does not work with tidal?

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #6,230 of 11,995
Reveal does not work with tidal?

With the VST plugin you need a player like foobar that supports VST but they also have a DSP preset for Roon and Roon supports Tidal. I don't use Tidal though.
However, I did test the Roon preset a while back but didn't have the 0 to 100% adjustment, it was either enabled or disabled but it did sound similar to the VST one.

They have a free 60 day promo code for Roon also so people can try it out, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-dsp-presets-now-available-in-roon.858730/

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,231 of 11,995
Thanks, tried Roon, but would also like to try the reveal plugin in jriver, but something is wrong with my installation of reveal plugin on mac, it doesn't let me choose where to put it and i can't find the files when searching. Very frustrating...

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #6,232 of 11,995
Thanks, tried Roon, but would also like to try the reveal plugin in jriver, but something is wrong with my installation of reveal plugin on mac, it doesn't let me choose where to put it and i can't find it when searching. Very frustrating...

I had no issues installing it in Jriver in Win 10 by following the directions on their website, the plugin itself was in a Steinberg sub-directory under Program Files, I haven't used Mac though.
I liked the plugin better than Roon, it is worth persisting maybe you can try emailing Audeze support.

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #6,233 of 11,995
Thanks, tried Roon, but would also like to try the reveal plugin in jriver, but something is wrong with my installation of reveal plugin on mac, it doesn't let me choose where to put it and i can't find the files when searching. Very frustrating...
I assume you have looked at the insructions here: https://www.audeze.com/audeze-reveal-plugin and are not able to find the plugins in the folder?
The default location is HD > Library > Audio > Plug-ins > VST If you don't see them, the files may be hidden.
In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

If you want to try Reveal on Mac, Roon has it built in, A+ supports Reveal AU plugins. Also if you just want to use it with the Tidal app for Mac, you will need system wide plugin support one of the two options below (menubus is easy to setup)
https://www.menubus.audio/
http://mathaudio.com/system-wide-eq.htm

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #6,234 of 11,995
Hello, folks. New LCD-4 owner here. Interested in an amp that may improve my experience over my aging Schiit Lyr 2. Looking to stay near or below $1500. My DAC is a Chord 2Qute which I'm very happy with.

Based on the last 30 pages or so of discussion, I've narrowed down the options to the following:

iFi Pro iCAN
Woo WA6-SE
Questyle CMA800R
OPPO HA-1
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Schiit Raggy

Physical space is a factor for me, so I'm not in the market for a VCR-sized amp. Small and powerful is the name of the game for me. With that being said, am I missing anything from my list of considerations here? If not, are there any strong opinions in favor of any of these?

If it helps, I listen to a lot of jazz, pop, r&b Stuff that appreciates bass. I know I can get the iCAN and Schiit options on a safe return policy (no/low restocking fee) and test them out before committing if necessary but any direction or guidance here would be great, even if it was just to help cross some thing off the list. I would like to learn on your collective experiences given it is very difficult to find and demo any of this equipment in local stores.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #6,235 of 11,995
Hello, folks. New LCD-4 owner here. Interested in an amp that may improve my experience over my aging Schiit Lyr 2. Looking to stay near or below $1500. My DAC is a Chord 2Qute which I'm very happy with.

Based on the last 30 pages or so of discussion, I've narrowed down the options to the following:

iFi Pro iCAN
Woo WA6-SE
Questyle CMA800R
OPPO HA-1
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Schiit Raggy

Physical space is a factor for me, so I'm not in the market for a VCR-sized amp. Small and powerful is the name of the game for me. With that being said, am I missing anything from my list of considerations here? If not, are there any strong opinions in favor of any of these?

If it helps, I listen to a lot of jazz, pop, r&b Stuff that appreciates bass. I know I can get the iCAN and Schiit options on a safe return policy (no/low restocking fee) and test them out before committing if necessary but any direction or guidance here would be great, even if it was just to help cross some thing off the list. I would like to learn on your collective experiences given it is very difficult to find and demo any of this equipment in local stores.

Have you already ruled out the following for some reason(s), or just not considered them?
- Auralic Taurus Mk2
- Violectric V281 (probably used due to your budget)
- Audio-GD HE-9

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #6,236 of 11,995

iFi Pro iCAN
Woo WA6-SE
Questyle CMA800R
OPPO HA-1
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Schiit Raggy

Oppo HA-1 doesn’t have enoug power to drive LCD-4 sufficiently.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #6,237 of 11,995
Have you already ruled out the following for some reason(s), or just not considered them?
- Auralic Taurus Mk2
- Violectric V281 (probably used due to your budget)
- Audio-GD HE-9
Sort of.

- Taurus - Appears difficult to find easily, and even harder to demo if I wanted to. I was reading about the Cayin iHA-6 which would apparently be a great substitute for quite a bit less.
- V281 - It's $2300. I don't see any used to have an idea of what the used market is like.
- HE-9 - Too big for my space. As I mentioned, space is a premium for me, so size is important. I said I don't want a VCR. Doesn't matter how good it is if I can't fit it in my space. That comment was actually almost specifically with regard to the Audio-GD line. lol

Oppo HA-1 doesn’t have enoug power to drive LCD-4 sufficiently.
Oh okay. tyvm!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,238 of 11,995
Sort of.

- Taurus - Appears difficult to find easily, and even harder to demo if I wanted to. I was reading about the Cayin iHA-6 which would apparently be a great substitute for quite a bit less.
- V281 - It's $2300. I don't see any used to have an idea of what the used market is like.
- HE-9 - Too big for my space. As I mentioned, space is a premium for me, so size is important. I said I don't want a VCR. Doesn't matter how good it is if I can't fit it in my space. That comment was actually almost specifically with regard to the Audio-GD line. lol

Oh okay. tyvm!

I just got my LCD-4 and was looking for an amp with a lot of power. I got a Wells Audio Milo. It's around your budget and is also unique in that it's taller than it is wide for your space limitations. Highly recommended, I love it.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #6,239 of 11,995
I too just purchased a LCD-4. Still have LCD-3 and Utopia. I am currently using Woo WA6SE. It has plenty of power and I feel it sounds fantastic with the LCD-4. Bass is deep and powerful. Great sound stage. I also have a Jotenhiem from Schiit. While it has plenty of power the sound stage seems flat compared to the Woo. Also the treble is a bit brittle compared to the WA6SE.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #6,240 of 11,995
I too just purchased a LCD-4. Still have LCD-3 and Utopia. I am currently using Woo WA6SE. It has plenty of power and I feel it sounds fantastic with the LCD-4. Bass is deep and powerful. Great sound stage. I also have a Jotenhiem from Schiit. While it has plenty of power the sound stage seems flat compared to the Woo. Also the treble is a bit brittle compared to the WA6SE.
Interested in hearing your thoughts about LCD 4 vs Utopia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back