Audeze LCD-4
Oct 5, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #541 of 12,053

Agreed. I had to track down the comments, but if someone says everything they heard was great, chances are they aren't a very keen listener. Lots of mediocre stuff gets released every year, not all of it is stellar.

However, if you're here on Head-Fi regularly, the impressions is that EVERYTHING released every week of the year is stellar stuff ... until the general public (not just the reviewers, huddlers, etc) gets ears on them, and by then there is a new "stellar" product released to distract all the naysayers of the old, now mediocre products. :D 

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #542 of 12,053
  I own the LCD-3F and love it...the truth is the new innovation that is included in the premium priced products ultimately makes its way down the chain....in this case when i bought the 2K LCD-3F I thought I had lost my mind but i paid it because I really loved the cans but the truth is 4K for the new cans is not gonna happen for me.....that is simply a bridge too far

Frankly I'm a bit worried about driver failures with planar magnetic headphones in general.
I've hardly or ever heard of dynamic driver failure with any higher end brand, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, Sony, hell even Beats.
3-4k plus headphones should come with lifetime warranty IMO.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #543 of 12,053

Frankly I'm a bit worried about driver failures with planar magnetic headphones in general.
I've hardly or ever heard of dynamic driver failure with any higher end brand, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, Sony, hell even Beats.
3-4k plus headphones should come with lifetime warranty IMO.

I have not heard of a single driver failure with the Abyss, and i'm told by Abyss themselves that they have never had a driver failure....

But yes, I agree the warranty should be much longer, lifetime is a bit rough, but 7 years or so would be nice.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #544 of 12,053
My impressions from this thread:

- I will wait for more objective listening reviews of the LCD-4
 - It's not possible to perform an objective listening review at a meet.  Too much outside noise and other variables in play.
 - I am not a bass head.  The bass from my LCD-X is too much at times.  Looking for a more neutral/reference sound.
 - I love my LCD-X.
 - If the 4 upgrades the X sound, they are a possibility.
 - The X and 4 will certainly sound different from the same source, due to the much higher impedance of the 4.

IMHO - 
RCB

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #545 of 12,053

I have not heard of a single driver failure with the Abyss, and i'm told by Abyss themselves that they have never had a driver failure....

But yes, I agree the warranty should be much longer, lifetime is a bit rough, but 7 years or so would be nice.

Thanks Matt, but the thing is how many have they sold? I think 5 years is fair then

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #546 of 12,053

Thanks Matt, but the thing is how many have they sold? I think 5 years is fair then

Not sure how much they sold, what I can say is, i have one, and so far so good.
What I can also say, is I bought an LCD3 at launch, when Audeze hardly sold any units, and that failed. And the subsequent 5 Replacements also failed.

Putting all planars in the same boat due to just Audeze reliability issues is a bit rough. And I have had Dynamic drivers fail on me before, specifically Grados. My grado 60, 80 and 325 all failed. My Denon D5000 , D7000, and senn HD650 on the other hand, have been fine for years on end.

From my experience, planars in general do not have a higher than normal failure rate, and going from the information that was revealed as to the cause of LCD failures, the planar nature of the headphone have nothing to do with it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771760/how-many-times-have-your-lcd3-headphones-been-returned-to-audeze-for-servicing-rma/225#post_11962772

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #547 of 12,053
That 30-day return policy is very generous.  I agree that if the reviews come out spangling stars I might have to give them a go... in any case I am def. upgrading my X/XC headbands assuming they have the new ones in vegan.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #549 of 12,053
  That 30-day return policy is very generous.  I agree that if the reviews come out spangling stars I might have to give them a go... in any case I am def. upgrading my X/XC headbands assuming they have the new ones in vegan.

Just letting you know please don't let reviews completely make the decision for you as from my experience in this thread alone if there is any negativity regarding the LCD-4 basically there are people that just won't believe it or feel the need to post positive reviews over what you say.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #550 of 12,053
I absolutely get amused by the comments that state that the new cans make the last generation or competitors sound like soup cans connected by a string.  Come on guy(s), there are actually better or worse products, but gotta admit that Head-Fi has very rapidly reached the peak of how human ears can perceive sound.  Unless it progresses further with new recording tech (or popularization of binaural recordings) there isn't going to THAT much of a difference between current TOTL products vs the last.  Sennheiser has held onto the HD800 for that many years because of that.  It's still up there amongst the best.  

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #552 of 12,053
Q
I absolutely get amused by the comments that state that the new cans make the last generation or competitors sound like soup cans connected by a string.  Come on guy(s), there are actually better or worse products, but gotta admit that Head-Fi has very rapidly reached the peak of how human ears can perceive sound.  Unless it progresses further with new recording tech (or popularization of binaural recordings) there isn't going to THAT much of a difference between current TOTL products vs the last.  Sennheiser has held onto the HD800 for that many years because of that.  It's still up there amongst the best.  
Who said that?

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #553 of 12,053
Q
Who said that?

Sorry I wasn't exactly referring to this thread, just the previous comments discussing this phenomenon.  I'm assuming you're referring to my comment on people trashing past models once new ones come out?  

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #555 of 12,053
This is insane...4k for a headphone? 
I thought Hifimen's HE1000 is the most expensive (3k). 
I'm starting to wonder if this market is normal...
Hey guys, wake up. 

I guess you should wake up in 2014 and check out the Abyss price :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back