Audeze LCD-4
Oct 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #571 of 12,039

I can see your point in the different ranges of pricing for Hifiman but I still don't think that the HE-1000 at $3k is a good deal.  For the sake of your pricing scale some of those models Hifiman doesn't make anymore.  Look at the price jump from the HE-500 to the HE-560 though.

Right, the HE500 was 699$ and the HE560 is 899$.
But strictly speaking, the HE560 was supposed to be a stepping stone between the HE500 and HE6.
The true HE500 replacement was supposed to be the 400i at 499$ [while the naming convention suggests otherwise, yes.]
Then you have the HE400 replacement, the 400S, at 100$ less.
The HEK at 2999$ is not a good deal per say, but to my ears personally, it sounds 'better' than anything else out there. Would I be happier if it were 1999$? Of course!
Then there's the HE-Ed.X which will be 1799$ and the closed back portable at 399$, I think. Most recently there was the cheapest ever open back planar HE400S at 299$.
So in my eyes, the  HE1000 was more of a disruption to HFM's consciously priced headphone model. Lots of R&D was necessary [well, it is the largest as well as first ever nano grade diaphragm] and as things get more efficient, price will be dropping down [HE-X].
Also, many people still consider HE-6 to be the best, which is 1299$. Its successor will be similarly priced and if there's ever the rumored electrostatic headphone, I imagine to be similarly priced as well, though we may see a spike once in a while to recoup some of the R&D.
At least that's what I think. Feel free to disagree 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Hopefully we won't ever see a pricier HFM headphone than the HEK.

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #572 of 12,039
To those who are disappointed, perplexed or angry at the new pricing adopted by some of these manufacturers (as I myself am), I believe the best strategy is to simply spend your money elsewhere. I believe Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser are still offering reasonable bang for buck with their competing products, so it's not like there isn't some relevant competition. I'd actually be surprised if the T1's and HD800's don't sound better than the LCD4's, at least based on my own sonic preferences anyway.

On the topic of physical manufacturing quality, despite me preferring the T1's over the HD800's in terms of overall sound signature (it's a matter of subjective preference after all, more amusing still given that the T1's are much cheaper), the HD800's really are a thing of absolute precision crafted manufacturing beauty in the hands. In my honest opinion they make Audeze's offerings look and feel rudimentary and outdated in comparison. I do like the overall aesthetic look of the Audeze cans (though I'm not a fan of the arms, headband, all the visible nuts and bolts etc) and love the use of wood, they are so cumbersome in their ergonomics and functionality that it's almost laughable they're still adopting the same overall physical design principle they have been for years, even in a brand new $4,000 pair of headphones. It's some of the laziest, greediest product designing I've ever witnessed.

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #573 of 12,039
Exactly.... HD800 came out in 2010.
I don't think there's a headphone which sounds more accurate than HD800..

^

Correct. After the years hd800 still the king. And 330g extremely light and comfortable. For 1500 a true bargain.

Now with luxury brand like manufacturer remember your not supposed to get twice the sound then hd800 just a different flavor and at such high price a status symbol. Some will want it but only few will have it. And there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone needs a Ferrari. But guess what. hellcat with 700 hp can keep up. So calm down people. And enjoy what you got. Anything after even hd600 is just slightly better different sound flavor. So don't get sucked in this game :wink:

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #575 of 12,039
^

Correct. After the years hd800 still the king. And 330g extremely light and comfortable. For 1500 a true bargain.

Now with luxury brand like manufacturer remember your not supposed to get twice the sound then hd800 just a different flavor and at such high price a status symbol. Some will want it but only few will have it. And there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone needs a Ferrari. But guess what. hellcat with 700 hp can keep up. So calm down people. And enjoy what you got. Anything after even hd600 is just slightly better different sound flavor. So don't get sucked in this game :wink:
The King of what?

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #583 of 12,039
  Thats subjective potkettleblack.   I say HD800 is the King of value for money :)

Nah. That'd go to the Fostex T50RP (with a few cheap mods), followed by the Beyerdynamic DT990/880, or AKG 545/550, followed by the Beyerdynamic T1's. Just my opinion of course. I don't really deem any of the high end cans particularly amazing value for money, and I'm fairly certain they all have a hefty mark up applied. Some considerably more than others (*cough* Audeze *cough*). But if we're talking strictly high end cans only, the T1's are unmatched for value imo. It feels weird that my favourite sounding headphones ever, are by far the cheapest in their category. German engineering and manufacturing efficiency I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back