Audeze LCD-4
Mar 31, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #3,196 of 12,053
  I'm surprised I enjoyed them over the Abyss considering what everyone says about them, but hey it's about damn time for a new king.

That's interesting, I really don't personally buy into the whole better cable (outside of build quality and warranty) fiasco after my own tests, so I am a bit confused as to why I did not prefer the balanced cable over the SE.

Maybe there is something up, I guess I really don't know.

Everyone...maybe on the Abyss page
wink.gif
? I'm not a fan of the Abyss and would take several headphones over it. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #3,197 of 12,053
  they are indeed heavy and bulky,they sound terrific but boy putting on the KEK or HD800S is quite a bit easier and more comfortable...that said they are excellent IMHO as i listen to Art Blakey Free for all through them

Completely agree when I put on my HEK, it's crazy.

The sound quality is worth it though.

Everyone...maybe on the Abyss page
wink.gif
? I'm not a fan of the Abyss and would take several headphones over it. 

Very true haha, although not many people have made the comparison on this thread.

Maybe because there's no comparison to make haha.

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #3,198 of 12,053
Hi guys, i knew the LCD4 able to choose either balance cable or SE cable when you are buying it, but does the balance cable that comes with the LCD4 are the same blue Q cable like the SE cable? I dont wanna get the normal balance cable that comes with LCD3.... If thats the case i would rather get the SE blue cable and buy a decent balance cable later.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #3,199 of 12,053
I am pretty sure it is the same but with XLR.

I'm making the judgment from the picture on Innerfidelity that includes both cables.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #3,201 of 12,053
Apr 1, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #3,202 of 12,053
Everyone...maybe on the Abyss page :wink: ? I'm not a fan of the Abyss and would take several headphones over it. 
Oooph such unneeded snideness. Scroll up and see users of both having the opposite opinion. What was a disappointment to me and others was the complete opposite to Drayton. It looks like he's spent his money well.

Drayton - you made the most important decision yourself after hearing both. You're clearly happy which is what counts the most and is something a lot want and only some have achieved on here. You mentioned that you're a rock fan for the most part. If you like Reggae - bob Marley also sounds great on the LCD 4.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #3,203 of 12,053
The weight is my one and only issue with the LCD-4, but they're comfortable which makes up for it a lot.

I could wear these for hours, just did while demoing and feel like I could do double or triple it.

i remember that being a concern for you. glad it's working out. it's a very nice headphone.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #3,204 of 12,053
Oooph such unneeded snideness. Scroll up and see users of both having the opposite opinion. What was a disappointment to me and others was the complete opposite to Drayton. It looks like he's spent his money well.

Drayton - you made the most important decision yourself after hearing both. You're clearly happy which is what counts the most and is something a lot want and only some have achieved on here. You mentioned that you're a rock fan for the most part. If you like Reggae - bob Marley also sounds great on the LCD 4.

Bob Marley was indeed excellent on these.

So far I find them more comfortable than the Abyss as well.

I will say the Abyss bass would be nice on these, but I much prefer the midrange especially for what I listen to and with my equipment.

Another note I have is that any EQ I have applied doesn't match the stock sound, even using the one Tyll used. I felt that it killed some of the magic.

These headphones are crazy fast compared to the HE-1000 from what I have noticed.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #3,205 of 12,053
Now a proud owner of the LCD-4.

Congrat on your purchase of yet another world-class headphone. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Good for you that you killed the doubt once and for all by grabbing them for test before pouring your hard earned bucks into the wrong pit based on users' preferences!

Waiting for more impressions vs Abyss, if you had enough time with, and HEK, which happened to be one of the best right after Abyss in my book. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #3,206 of 12,053
Bob Marley was indeed excellent on these.

So far I find them more comfortable than the Abyss as well.

I will say the Abyss bass would be nice on these, but I much prefer the midrange especially for what I listen to and with my equipment.

Another note I have is that any EQ I have applied doesn't match the stock sound, even using the one Tyll used. I felt that it killed some of the magic.

These headphones are crazy fast compared to the HE-1000 from what I have noticed.
If you get the chance have a listen to the binaural Amber rubarth album on hd tracks.com. Not my type of music and probably not yours, but it's a great way to showcase headphones. Very, very natural sounding on the LCD 4.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #3,209 of 12,053
If you get the chance have a listen to the binaural Amber rubarth album on hd tracks.com. Not my type of music and probably not yours, but it's a great way to showcase headphones. Very, very natural sounding on the LCD 4.

Will do later today thanks for the suggestion!

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #3,210 of 12,053
So predictable.

That's an unfair remark, PKB – meant to discredit the expected response in advance. We know that you're an Abyss proponent. But let's face it: from a technical point of view it is absolutely questionable.

The LTD-4's impulse response predominantly shows a prolonged 19 kHz decay, plus some 2.5 kHz decay (most likely resulting from the raw-data curve with its corresponding hump). The level of lower and mid-treble is reduced compared to the rest of the spectrum, otherwise the frequency response looks relatively flat.

The Abyss has a massively prolonged decay with a main content of about 9 and 12 kHz. The frequency response shows some distinct irregularities and a deep upper-mids to lower-treble dip.

The HE1000's impulse response shows a dominating 20 kHz resonance, other frequencies are passably well controlled. Its frequency response looks quite even over-all, with a mild upper-midrange deficit and some irregularities in the lower midrange.

The Abyss shows clearly higher distortion than the other two throughout the frequency spectrum.

Since I haven't heard neither the LCD-4 nor the Abyss, I'm certainly not going to rate their quality – solely based on measurements. But to some degree measurements are absolutely telling. What's indisputable is that the Abyss' wild decay will have audible consequences, primarily due to the fact that the concerned dominating frequencies are well within the audio band, in contrast to the other two. Its harmonic distortion is not on a level that's audible as such, but it may be (co-)responsible for its upfront character and for a somewhat reduced transparency.

(Images from Inner Fidelity)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back