Audeze LCD-4
Sep 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #226 of 11,995
Wisdom. It's definitely an interesting time in the world of head-fi with so many potential options. I've been eying HiFIMAN after trying the 400S and my local shop just became a dealer, so I can try the HE1000 soon. There aren't many meets in my area, but there's a good chance I will organize or help organize one in the near future (I've organized several in the watch collecting community and it would be a lot of fun to do the same for local headphone enthusiasts).

For sure try the HE-1000.  It's out of my price range and also I've got enough headphone's as it is. I heard the HE-1000 at CanJam and it impressed me more than any other HP.  That included the Layla, LCD-3, Ether, Abyss and the Astell & Kern/Beyerdynamic T5p.  They were all outstanding headphones but he HE-1000 stood out. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #228 of 11,995
Have you blind tested the Patek with a Timex?
biggrin.gif

You won headfi tonight

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #230 of 11,995
I agree. You can't compare the price of this to a Patek Philippe, for instance. They are amazing watches. I hope I have enough money to buy one, one day.

Have you blind tested the Patek with a Timex? :D

They feel and sound different, so easily identifiable in a blind test. You can both hear and feel the movement in a mechanical watch vs. a Quartz. Most people would also notice a difference in the quality of the band feel and the sapphire exhibition back of the PP vs. the stainless Timex against the wrist.

Accuracy of timekeeping is another story. Timex is great at that.

In the bigger picture, headphones remain a relatively affordable hobby. Try racing if you really want to drain your wallet at high speed :)

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #231 of 11,995
  Shembot, Really sorry about the payment issues and lack of proper communication. This is not the experience we want any of our customers to have. We will be in touch with you shortly. 

Thank you for reaching out to me. I received the email and voicemail (unfortunately can't talk on the phone while at work). While I appreciate the apology and I'm glad the checkout issues have been fixed for other customers, I wasn't expecting the voicemail to be a second request to call back and choose my accessories on an order I've requested to cancel twice now after all the problems...

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #232 of 11,995

As much as I like my LCDs, that is just TOO much money.
mad.gif
Stax SR009s are less.

LCD-3 already beats STAX 009's on the mid and low end - properly amped of course.  I'm thinking the LCD4 may beat it on higher frequencies as well.  IMHO of course  . . .
wink.gif

I've listened to them against each other and STRONGLY disagree with this.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #233 of 11,995

Thank you for reaching out to me. I received the email and voicemail (unfortunately can't talk on the phone while at work). While I appreciate the apology and I'm glad the checkout issues have been fixed for other customers, I wasn't expecting the voicemail to be a second request to call back and choose my accessories on an order I've requested to cancel twice now after all the problems...

facepalm
ˈfeɪspɑːm/
informal

noun
noun: face palm
    a gesture in which the palm of one's hand is brought to one's face as an expression of dismay, exasperation, embarrassment, etc.
    "I'm pretty sure said friend now thinks Anne and I are dating—facepalm!"

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #234 of 11,995
  facepalm
ˈfeɪspɑːm/
informal

noun
noun: face palm
    a gesture in which the palm of one's hand is brought to one's face as an expression of dismay, exasperation, embarrassment, etc.
    "I'm pretty sure said friend now thinks Anne and I are dating—facepalm!"

Indeed. I sent another email (since that's all I can do right now) requesting to cancel, and the third time was the charm -- they cancelled my order without fanfare and said to let them know if I ever change my mind. Sigh, well, I still wish them all the best.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #235 of 11,995
I've pretty much come to expect threads about upcoming planar magnetic headphones to have discussion about watches. Those who know me should especially "appreciate" this little tidbit.

From looking at the pictures of LCD4, there isn't even any space for suspension between the carbon fiber and the leather piece. I'm not sure how that design is an improvement from the original LCD headbands, except that it looks better.

Probably the extended yokes will work with them. Looks to be the same design.

Do you think maybe you can raise the carbon fiber headband?

From looking at the images, no I don't. I'm pretty sure you are wondering how the suspension on LCD4 even works at this point if you are asking me that question.

@Audeze
Can you tell us more about the headband? It appears that the metal rods only allow the lower, main part of the headphones to be adjusted vertically. The head pad under the carbon fiber arc does not appear to be self-adjusting.

Wisdom. It's definitely an interesting time in the world of head-fi with so many potential options. I've been eying HiFIMAN after trying the 400S and my local shop just became a dealer, so I can try the HE1000 soon. There aren't many meets in my area, but there's a good chance I will organize or help organize one in the near future (I've organized several in the watch collecting community and it would be a lot of fun to do the same for local headphone enthusiasts).

I'm really hoping the LCD-4 vastly outperforms the HE1000, because, to me at least, the STAX SR-207 sounded much more transparent and realistic than the HE1000, and at a tiny fraction of the price. (The HE1000 did beat it in a few categories, at least.) I also thought the sound signature of my modified HE400i was similar to the HE1000, though not quite as good.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #236 of 11,995
  I'm really hoping the LCD-4 vastly outperforms the HE1000, because, to me at least, the STAX SR-207 sounded much more transparent and realistic than the HE1000, and at a tiny fraction of the price. (The HE1000 did beat it in a few categories, at least.) I also thought the sound signature of my modified HE400i was similar to the HE1000, though not quite as good.

I hope it does, too, because I love Audeze's headphone designs and signature. Perhaps once the bad taste gets out of my mouth from recent experiences I'll come around to the LCD-4 again. Would be nice to get in on the ground floor of something great, if indeed it lives up to the hype.

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #238 of 11,995

Look at watch collecting...  Not to sound like a snob but it really only gets interesting at nearly $7000USD (and that doesn't get you much these days).  That's the STARTING point.  There are far far more new releases in the watch world than the headphone world.

And the ceiling is much MUCH higher.  

I can't stress "MUCH" enough.

I can - check this one out -->Greubel Forsey QUADRUPLE TOURBILLON

Users who are viewing this thread

Back