Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #6,781 of 7,334
Hello,
I have read that there is no difference between the Lcd 2 classic and Lcd 2 and that they are the same drivers.
The Lcd Classic is supposed to be cheaper because it doesn't have a wooden frame.
Well the process of driver manufacturing have changed from back when the LCD2 Rev 2 were made, so I would expect them to not be exactly the same as a decade ago. Similar in FR and tonal characteristics maybe, but not 1:1 the same as before.

Audeze has improved many facets of their production from how it was back then, so at the very least, I wouldn't expect them to be exactly the same.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #6,782 of 7,334
Well the process of driver manufacturing have changed from back when the LCD2 Rev 2 were made, so I would expect them to not be exactly the same as a decade ago. Similar in FR and tonal characteristics maybe, but not 1:1 the same as before.

Audeze has improved many facets of their production from how it was back then, so at the very least, I wouldn't expect them to be exactly the same.

Hey do you happen to know if the LCD 2C comes with a stock XLR cable or is it only 1/4? I know they're actually pretty sensitive compared to the LCD 4s and 3s I used to have but I like to drive balanced wherever I can.

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #6,784 of 7,334
Hey do you happen to know if the LCD 2C comes with a stock XLR cable or is it only 1/4? I know they're actually pretty sensitive compared to the LCD 4s and 3s I used to have but I like to drive balanced wherever I can.
1/4" is the default option. You must purchase XLR separately. IIRC, only with LCD-4 and up can you ask for a XLR swap. You'll need to move up to the LCD-X or XC Premium package to have an included XLR by default, otherwise.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #6,785 of 7,334
Finally getting around to listening to these. I have a feeling Josh Valour on YouTube is the most accurate headphone reviewer. He said these had more forward mids than other LCDs and I can confirm he was right about it. My LCD 4 had smoother mids to the point where you could crank the volume and still not lose composure. These can get just a tad bit shouty similar to the 650/600 series which has a upper mid emphasis. Not enough to be unenjoyable- will definitely need to compare these to the LCD 2F 2016.

What is everyone using as an amp with these? I feel like the Gumby A2 actually meshed well with my LCD 2 because it was a tad bit cooler so it pulled the mids away just a little bit to form a good balance. Need a good amp to really bring out the bass 😁

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #6,786 of 7,334
Finally getting around to listening to these. I have a feeling Josh Valour on YouTube is the most accurate headphone reviewer. He said these had more forward mids than other LCDs and I can confirm he was right about it. My LCD 4 had smoother mids to the point where you could crank the volume and still not lose composure. These can get just a tad bit shouty similar to the 650/600 series which has a upper mid emphasis. Not enough to be unenjoyable- will definitely need to compare these to the LCD 2F 2016.

What is everyone using as an amp with these? I feel like the Gumby A2 actually meshed well with my LCD 2 because it was a tad bit cooler so it pulled the mids away just a little bit to form a good balance. Need a good amp to really bring out the bass 😁
I use the Violectric V280.

Jan 24, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #6,787 of 7,334
Jan 24, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #6,788 of 7,334
What is everyone using as an amp with these?
Flux FA-12. I had the luck to compare this amp with Audio-GD and Violectric V220. Flux is on a higher level. Audio-GD and Violectric are not competitors at all.

Jan 24, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #6,789 of 7,334
Flux FA-12. I had the luck to compare this amp with Audio-GD and Violectric V220. Flux is on a higher level. Audio-GD and Violectric are not competitors at all.
I used to have a Burson. These cans don’t need a boat load of power but I’m sure when they’re fed that it helps dynamics.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #6,790 of 7,334
Just got my LCD 2F's in Bamboo (circa late 2018). My quick impressions compared against the LCD 2C is that the 2F is more refined and smoother, without being as warm as the 2C. The 2C after a while feels like a blanket is over them while I never felt that way with the 2F. The 2C also has more upper mid range compared to the 2F. They got some weird thing going on (idk if it's due to pads or not) where they have extra air added to all their mids. Add that to their forwardness and it sounds as if the 2C has a clearer midrange at the cost of being more fatiguing. The 2F has more smoothed over mids but I was surprised at how forward the 2Fs were. They were only just a slight bit more recessed than the 2C.

The 2C's bass is not as extended as the 2F but beating a dead horse; the quantity is much greater. It can actually get a little bit fatiguing on modern music if driven loud. The 2F still has good slam but extends deeper. It's a little bit more forgiving.

Finally, the treble seems to be a little more open on the 2F but both are pretty dark. Strangely enough, I feel like the 2C resolved detail a little bit better. Background micro details became a little more apparent which the 2F blurs a bit. The 2F resolves micro details in the foreground a bit better than the 2C but I think the 2C takes home the cake for microdetail. Could be due to their tuning or volume matching issues.

Overall, I really like the sound of the 2F's more. I originally had these with their foam headband from 2016 and paid $650 for them at the time used. At their brand new price of $995, I think that they're still worth it. I feel if the 2C was priced a little closer to $600 it would be a great buy but at the $800 price I would just go for the 2Fs. For only $200 more you're getting more refinement and a better buy imo. Honestly, after having sold the 2F's a few years ago I couldn't imagine myself ever selling these again. Someone will have to pry them from me. They're so natural and nice to listen to after a long day of work. They remind me of a pair of Spendor speakers.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #6,791 of 7,334
So sound wise, the way the audeze lcd GX are, they are closer to what the 2C sound like I guess?
I'm asking that because despite enjoying my TH900 a lot more now that I have the ifi audio idsd, I have also tested the GX with that dac/amp, and gosh, they sound quite incredible. If that is the Audeze sound, really, I will see in the futur if I dare add another headphone to my collection, it will be an Audeze, I like the ease of how they sound, they do not make you think, they just offer music really in a fluid way...

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #6,792 of 7,334
So sound wise, the way the audeze lcd GX are, they are closer to what the 2C sound like I guess?
I'm asking that because despite enjoying my TH900 a lot more now that I have the ifi audio idsd, I have also tested the GX with that dac/amp, and gosh, they sound quite incredible. If that is the Audeze sound, really, I will see in the futur if I dare add another headphone to my collection, it will be an Audeze, I like the ease of how they sound, they do not make you think, they just offer music really in a fluid way...
I found a big difference between the LCD-2C and the 3F and those are the only two Audezes I have heard.

The 2C is a relaxing enjoyable listen with all the good stuff, but a bit warm and slow.

The 3F is technical and for me was fatiguing for a long time until I got used to it. I realized that it is so resolving that it makes your brain work extra to absorb everything it reveals. Now I love it. And I made the mistake of listening to my TH900 right after it and I realized that the TH900 sounds blurry in comparison :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #6,793 of 7,334
I would say the GX is more like a less technically capable LCD-X, with a more forward, less spacious presentation. Not as warm/smooth as the 2C. A little more detail oriented with more sparkle.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #6,794 of 7,334
I found a big difference between the LCD-2C and the 3F and those are the only two Audezes I have heard.

The 2C is a relaxing enjoyable listen with all the good stuff, but a bit warm and slow.

The 3F is technical and for me was fatiguing for a long time until I got used to it. I realized that it is so resolving that it makes your brain work extra to absorb everything it reveals. Now I love it. And I made the mistake of listening to my TH900 right after it and I realized that the TH900 sounds blurry in comparison :frowning2:

I’ve had the 3F and didn’t care for them. There’s a peak in there somewhere that makes them somewhat bright compared to the prefazor version of the 3. The 3 really does have liquid mids but it loses some of that smoothness for greater detail. It also doesn’t slam as hard as the 2F/2C. Honestly, Audeze has been straying more and more away from their house sound. The 5s almost sound completely different than their entire lineup alongside their absurd price.

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #6,795 of 7,334
Hi All,

I have an unboxed Schiit Lyr 3 with AKM4490 DAC for sale $700 and I have been waiting for FiiO K9 Pro to be back in stock which is also $700.

I won't be using the bluetooth or the other options K9 Pro offer, just the DAC and AMP. Which one is better for LCD 2C?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back