Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #6,766 of 7,335
Man, it's been a long time since I met you in your apartment and bought my first pair of hi-fi cans! Congrats on the Audeze rep!

I really enjoy the sound that the 2C has, for music and gaming, but am having some issues with the weight.
I vaguely remember! How long ago was this! LOL. And do you remember what you bought. I have the WORST memory. I FEEL like it was K702 Anniversaries... or was it HE-400? I'm probably completely wrong.

If weight is a concern, the GX is a great alternative. I don't think many people will have issues with the GX weight and weight distribution.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #6,767 of 7,335
I vaguely remember! How long ago was this! LOL. And do you remember what you bought. I have the WORST memory. I FEEL like it was K702 Anniversaries... or was it HE-400? I'm probably completely wrong.

If weight is a concern, the GX is a great alternative. I don't think many people will have issues with the GX weight and weight distribution.
Yeah, it was probably 2011-12, so 10-11 years. You were right, it was the k702 Annie. I loved those cans, and after spending a lot of time with some other lower priced (and capability) I'm finally moving up in the world of hi-fi.

I'm not ready to give up on the 2C yet, I was just looking for tips on relieving the weight a bit, or if I'd get use to that part of them with more use.

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #6,768 of 7,335
Yeah, it was probably 2011-12, so 10-11 years. You were right, it was the k702 Annie. I loved those cans, and after spending a lot of time with some other lower priced (and capability) I'm finally moving up in the world of hi-fi.

I'm not ready to give up on the 2C yet, I was just looking for tips on relieving the weight a bit, or if I'd get use to that part of them with more use.
You still have those AKGs around?

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #6,769 of 7,335
How much of a difference does a desktop DAC make over something like M11 Pro?
I’m not familiar with the M11, I’m afraid, or how powerful it is. My experience with the LCD2-C is that it loves powerful amps - and that the more powerful, the better. I’m not sure if it needs lots of power, generally speaking, or if more specifically it needs a lot of current - as some planars do - but I’ve found that its sound improves considerably with more powerful amps.

For my preferences, I also like to pair my LCD-2C with warmer amps.

Re. power, the Magni 3, for instance, only does an acceptable job of driving the LCD-2C. Both the Jot 2 and the Mjolnir 1 make for a significant overall improvement. Here’s a comparison of the Jot 2 vs Magni 3 I posted on another forum to give you a sense of how I experienced the benefits of a more powerful amp. My suspicion is that many of these observations will apply for other, more powerful desktop amps, too:

It’s not fair to compare the Magni 3 directly to an amp that’s four times its price. Still, the Jot 2 did much to improve the LCD2-C:
  • Everything sounds cleaner, with less haze
  • The soundstage is larger, imaging is more precise, and everything sounds tighter, more focused, and better controlled
  • The soundstage is also deeper (I don’t notice the Jot being particularly forward here)
  • There is much better instrument separation and layering than with the Magni 3
  • The LCD2-C now sounds better balanced; it’s less recessed in certain areas of the frequency response
  • Bass is much better delineated, is faster and tighter and cleaner; likewise the sub-bass extends deeper, perhaps
  • There’s less of the treble grain, less of the brightness, and I think some of the peakiness is reduced
  • The headphones are less fatiguing even as they’re livelier
  • Macrodynamics are improved and, better yet, the overall sound isn’t as muddy; music is more energetic and engaging
  • Textures are richer, electric guitars have more crunch
Then again, the LCD2-C’s resolution isn’t all that great, and macrodynamics are still fairly soft.

Beyond the issue of power, and a warmer sound that suits my preferences for these headphones, I don’t think you’d need an expensive or fancy desktop amp for the LCD-2C: it just needs to be solid state, or perhaps a tube hybrid, with plenty of oomph.

with Xduoo MT-602 it sounds exactly how I always wanted a headphone to sound like. The BASS is just perfect with a basic desktop AMP.

It sounds to me as though you’ve found a happy combination here with the Xduoo. If the bass is right and you like the overall sound, I’d suggest you could just enjoy it and not worry about upgrading. Sometimes it’s best not to question happiness!

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #6,770 of 7,335
You still have those AKGs around?
Nope, I sold them off for a pair of Sony MDR z7. I regretted that for years, oops. Sold those and got X2HR and Nighthawk Carbon (I have these currently). I really like the Carbon sound, but wanted a real step up in everything. I had 3 or 4 recommendations consisting of the LCD-2C, Aeon 2 Noire, Celestee, and something from ZMF. My audio guy suggested the first two. He sent me the 2C and I bought the Noire. I've had them since Tues and Wed respectively.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #6,771 of 7,335
Nope, I sold them off for a pair of Sony MDR z7. I regretted that for years, oops. Sold those and got X2HR and Nighthawk Carbon (I have these currently). I really like the Carbon sound, but wanted a real step up in everything. I had 3 or 4 recommendations consisting of the LCD-2C, Aeon 2 Noire, Celestee, and something from ZMF. My audio guy suggested the first two. He sent me the 2C and I bought the Noire. I've had them since Tues and Wed respectively.
Makes sense. Headphones don't typically last long in audiophile hands. Always get the itch to trry something new. That being said, the Annies are probably still in my top 5 for the sub-$500 segment. Maybe even top 3 dynamic driver headphones less than $500.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #6,772 of 7,335
I don't know if the sound coming from the Audeze LCD GX is close to the sound of the LCD2C, but truly speaking, I'm hooked by how the GX sounds. if that is the sound signature of Audeze in general, than it's really a good signature!! Now that I can compare my two headphones on the ifi pro idsd signature, I 'm really curious to hear how th900 and LCD differs.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #6,773 of 7,335
I'd personally consider the GX like a less technically potent LCD-X, with less bass presence, and more focal midrange, and less soundstaging. It's more in your face, presence-wise. And much more comfy. Probably the most underrated LCD. And I think the best looking, outside the LCD-R.
The LCD-4z's with similar magnesium chassis but the copper mesh looks better, IMO. Speaking of which, being that you now work for Audeze, have you heard the 4z's? Have you heard the 24s?

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #6,774 of 7,335
The LCD-4z's with similar magnesium chassis but the copper mesh looks better, IMO. Speaking of which, being that you now work for Audeze, have you heard the 4z's? Have you heard the 24s?
I work remotely, so my chances to hear Audeze stuff is mainly with what they send (I currently have all the gaming headsets at home, as well as the 1, GX, 2C, X, and 5). The 2 times I visited HQ, I had some brief headtime with the 4Z, but not enough to truly give me a good inkling on their sound (it was a mad rush to listen to as much as possible in my limited time there). We didn't have LCD4 or 24s at the office. At least, not ready for use.

4Z is nice too. But I'm a sucker for black chassis with red accents, so I think the GX is better looking. Swap the headband for carbon fiber, and I'd say they'd be even better looking.

I should tell you guys that even with all the things I have, if I personally had to choose one Audeze alone to keep around, it'd be the 2C. I don't think it's better than the X or 5, ofc, but I prefer its tonality for my needs.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #6,775 of 7,335
Hello,
You have to adjust the headphones properly when this happens.
It's actually meant to be reclined.
I always have a neck cushion on my office chair that I put behind my neck.
The rest is history.
This also relieves the muscles and you can listen in a relaxed way.
The weight doesn't bother you at all.
I find this is also the best way to get used to the weight of the headphones.
The rest is no longer a problem, even when I'm not leaning back.

When you use something like that for gaming, it can't be relaxing if you're tense all the time.

The only alternative would be the Aeon R/T closed or open which is lighter.
Similar in sound but a little different but still close.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #6,776 of 7,335
I work remotely, so my chances to hear Audeze stuff is mainly with what they send (I currently have all the gaming headsets at home, as well as the 1, GX, 2C, X, and 5). The 2 times I visited HQ, I had some brief headtime with the 4Z, but not enough to truly give me a good inkling on their sound (it was a mad rush to listen to as much as possible in my limited time there). We didn't have LCD4 or 24s at the office. At least, not ready for use.

4Z is nice too. But I'm a sucker for black chassis with red accents, so I think the GX is better looking. Swap the headband for carbon fiber, and I'd say they'd be even better looking.

I should tell you guys that even with all the things I have, if I personally had to choose one Audeze alone to keep around, it'd be the 2C. I don't think it's better than the X or 5, ofc, but I prefer its tonality for my needs.
I’m getting a Classic this week so I’m very excited. I’ve had the 2F, 3PF and the 4. Everything I’ve had has been way more detailed but the LCD 2F Bamboo 2016 is the one can I really regret selling. It slammed like a truck and had great tonality. Made everything sound good. Only thing that’s gotten close to that feeling was the Aeolus.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #6,777 of 7,335
I understand the feeling. Long before my spot here with Audeze, I've always considered the LCD-2 Rev. 2 my absolute fave full sized headphone next to the Denon D7000.
The 2C is the closest thing to my old Rev 2s (though I haven't had much time with the current LCD-2 to form an opinion about how much it reminds me of the old Rev. 2).

Maybe in a future, I'll comp an LCD2, once I send some of the others back. But I'm perfectly fine with the 2C.

Nowadays, it's mainly a hunt for me to find the closest replacements to both the D7000 and LCD2.2.

These days, it's the 2C and E-mu Teak as the closest things to my old faves, but not an exact match. The TH900 wasn't quite what I wanted for a D7000 replacement, being just too metallic sounding for my ears and without the harmonic resonance that I loved out the D7000. The Teak comes close, but I feel it's missing something (can't put my finger on it). I have little to complain about the 2C as a replacement to the Rev 2 though. Love it as is.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #6,778 of 7,335
Any thoughts and opinions on the newer 2021 pads? Is there a difference in terms of sound between the leather and leather-free version? Or is it all mostly comfort and durability, and those with a preference to non-animal products?

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #6,779 of 7,335
Any thoughts and opinions on the newer 2021 pads? Is there a difference in terms of sound between the leather and leather-free version? Or is it all mostly comfort and durability, and those with a preference to non-animal products?
The 2C only comes with leather-free pads by default. I haven't swapped out pads on any of them, so I can't say from personal experience how it would affect comfort and sound off one particular headphone. However, GX and 2C feel the same pad-wise obviously, and the LCD-X using leather feels a little different. If I had to buy pads, I'd get leather, personally speaking. But that's up to individual tastes. Leather seems to compress inward less. Leather-free feels softer.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #6,780 of 7,335
I understand the feeling. Long before my spot here with Audeze, I've always considered the LCD-2 Rev. 2 my absolute fave full sized headphone next to the Denon D7000.
The 2C is the closest thing to my old Rev 2s (though I haven't had much time with the current LCD-2 to form an opinion about how much it reminds me of the old Rev. 2).

Maybe in a future, I'll comp an LCD2, once I send some of the others back. But I'm perfectly fine with the 2C.

Nowadays, it's mainly a hunt for me to find the closest replacements to both the D7000 and LCD2.2.

These days, it's the 2C and E-mu Teak as the closest things to my old faves, but not an exact match. The TH900 wasn't quite what I wanted for a D7000 replacement, being just too metallic sounding for my ears and without the harmonic resonance that I loved out the D7000. The Teak comes close, but I feel it's missing something (can't put my finger on it). I have little to complain about the 2C as a replacement to the Rev 2 though. Love it as is.
Hello,
I have read that there is no difference between the Lcd 2 classic and Lcd 2 and that they are the same drivers.
The Lcd Classic is supposed to be cheaper because it doesn't have a wooden frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back