Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #6,736 of 7,334
I haven't paired them with the Element 2 specifically, but I find that the 2C is fairly easy to pair with an amp. I've heard it out of several inexpensive amps and several DAPs, and they don't lose a whole lot compared to my desktop rig.

Regarding gaming, they are excellent for short bursts of gaming. The soundstage and imaging is surprisingly good, actually better than some of the more expensive LCD headphones. That means you will be able to target-seek effectively by sound. There are better options in this regard though, and some much cheaper. In fact, I use a $20 pair of obscure earbuds for their extraordinarily wide soundstage and light weight. Where the 2C falters a bit is in physical weight and in it's very impactful sound. In the short run, that can make explosions and atmospheric effects in the game more exciting, but it can be distracting and fatiguing for longer sessions or for competitive gaming. I mean, just how realistically boomy do you want those video game grenades to be? Personally, I prefer something a bit lighter in the bass for gaming.
Thanks this very detailed response!

I'm kind of looking for an all in one, but I could get a much cheaper secondary pair for multiplayer games. I'm contemplating the 560s as the second pair, but am worried about how bright they are.

What do you use to complement them?

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #6,737 of 7,334

I'm kind of looking for an all in one, but I could get a much cheaper secondary pair for multiplayer games. I'm contemplating the 560s as the second pair, but am worried about how bright they are.

About all in one

Did you hear about Loxjie D40?
Currently I have topping 50s stack for LCD2C. Sounds lovely.
I would prefer something in one part.
It has all I want from dac/amp combo (Bluetooth ldac included)

I wander if it could handle LCD2C as good as topping (good for me of course)

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #6,738 of 7,334
About all in one

Did you hear about Loxjie D40?
Currently I have topping 50s stack for LCD2C. Sounds lovely.
I would prefer something in one part.
It has all I want from dac/amp combo (Bluetooth ldac included)

I wander if it could handle LCD2C as good as topping (good for me of course)
Oh, haha, my Element 2 is an all in one unit (dac/ amp combo), but I was referring to the headphones.

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #6,739 of 7,334

I understand the impulse to get a single solution for all your listening needs, but to be honest, that's going to mean compromising in some area or another. It may even mean an unsatisfying result for both music and gaming. The most tolerable compromise would be get the 2C and use EQ, something like Equalizer APO, that effects all system sound. Then, you can simply set up EQ profiles to dial in the perfect sound for each application. The 2C is an excellent candidate for that approach because the resolution, impact, and soundstage are excellent and for gaming you'd really just want to thin out the bass and fill in the lower treble dip a bit.

As a second headphone, the 560S is an outstanding choice for music, but I haven't ever gamed with it. I suspect that it would do well, but not exceptionally well. When gaming, I find the best approach is a headphone that has tight, even lean, bass that doesn't wash out details, wide soundstage, excellent imaging, and a generally clean, fast, detailed sound. My gold standard then is the HD800S. The 560S and HD800S have weirdly similar graphs (at least if you compare them on Crinacle's site), but in practice they are miles apart. The 560S has a much slower driver, resulting in more bass bloom and a more intimate presentation to the music. It feels somewhat closed in and struggles with layering/separation of sounds when things get hectic. In practice, that's going to mean more difficulty in separating distant gunfire from close gunfire or discerning between in front and to the left and behind and to the left. Now, obviously the $200 dollar 'phones don't do as well as the $1600 'phones, but I think there are other options for a cheap gameplay headphone. The one I think of immediately is the Philips SHP9500.

If you're asking about what DAC/amp I use with them, well, I use a Benchmark DAC3-B and Benchmark HPA4 for music and the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label for gaming. Although, much of the time I'm lazy and plug the 'buds directly into the controller.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #6,740 of 7,334
I understand the impulse to get a single solution for all your listening needs, but to be honest, that's going to mean compromising in some area or another. It may even mean an unsatisfying result for both music and gaming. The most tolerable compromise would be get the 2C and use EQ, something like Equalizer APO, that effects all system sound. Then, you can simply set up EQ profiles to dial in the perfect sound for each application. The 2C is an excellent candidate for that approach because the resolution, impact, and soundstage are excellent and for gaming you'd really just want to thin out the bass and fill in the lower treble dip a bit.

As a second headphone, the 560S is an outstanding choice for music, but I haven't ever gamed with it. I suspect that it would do well, but not exceptionally well. When gaming, I find the best approach is a headphone that has tight, even lean, bass that doesn't wash out details, wide soundstage, excellent imaging, and a generally clean, fast, detailed sound. My gold standard then is the HD800S. The 560S and HD800S have weirdly similar graphs (at least if you compare them on Crinacle's site), but in practice they are miles apart. The 560S has a much slower driver, resulting in more bass bloom and a more intimate presentation to the music. It feels somewhat closed in and struggles with layering/separation of sounds when things get hectic. In practice, that's going to mean more difficulty in separating distant gunfire from close gunfire or discerning between in front and to the left and behind and to the left. Now, obviously the $200 dollar 'phones don't do as well as the $1600 'phones, but I think there are other options for a cheap gameplay headphone. The one I think of immediately is the Philips SHP9500.
Yeah, I was speaking of headphones. Maybe I do just need two separate cans. I can't afford a HD800, nor am I really good enough to make use of it. I want a sweet headphone for mostly music, with some gaming on the side. I've demo'd the HD800, but it's been many years. I didn't care for it as it was too bright. I demo'd the LCD 2 as well, and I think it was the Fazor version. Loved the sound, but it was a bit heavy. In my readings, I think I'd like the Classic even better, since I like warm as my preferred sound signature.

Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere local to try any headphones, so I'm trusting opinions of others to buy what's best for me. I'm planning on ordering the 2C and the Aeon 2 to compare them and keep whichever I like best.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #6,741 of 7,334
Can someone describe the treble on the 2C? I owned the 2016 2F and I really wish I hadn’t given them up. They were perfect for my music genres. Very smooth and the bass was amazing. Treble was nice and dark. The new 2020 2F sounded awful imo. Treble was peaky and grainy and the tonality was not the same I remember. I like sweeter treble similar to the ZMF Aeolus.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #6,742 of 7,334
The 2C is darkish and a bit slow but it slams.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #6,743 of 7,334
The 2C is darkish and a bit slow but it slams.
I’ve read some minor reports of graininess in the mids. Do you think they have good clarity especially for things like vocals? I definitely like good slam. Would love to compare the slam on the 2C to the 4.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #6,744 of 7,334
I’ve read some minor reports of graininess in the mids. Do you think they have good clarity especially for things like vocals? I definitely like good slam. Would love to compare the slam on the 2C to the 4.
Well, I'm a bit spoiled and lately the LCD-3F has kinda put most of my cans out to pasture. At first I found them fatiguing and I concluded the reason was that they throw so much detail at you your brain has to work overtime to soak it all in. I'll let the other guys answer whether the 2C is grainy or not. From memory, in a vacuum it is not grainy. But against the 3F or a pair of HD 800s it probably is to some degree, although it is certainly not objectionable. I wouldn't pick the 2C for vocals, HD 600 clearly cleans house on mids. But the 2C and 600 are both very enjoyable cans that do almost everything well and nothing badly.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #6,745 of 7,334
Well, I'm a bit spoiled and lately the LCD-3F has kinda put most of my cans out to pasture. At first I found them fatiguing and I concluded the reason was that they throw so much detail at you your brain has to work overtime to soak it all in. I'll let the other guys answer whether the 2C is grainy or not. From memory, in a vacuum it is not grainy. But against the 3F or a pair of HD 800s it probably is to some degree, although it is certainly not objectionable. I wouldn't pick the 2C for vocals, HD 600 clearly cleans house on mids. But the 2C and 600 are both very enjoyable cans that do almost everything well and nothing badly.

Well I’ve had the 2F (bamboo) and they had lush mids. Very enjoyable and enough clarity to follow vocals on. More forward cans like the 600/650 may make mids easier to listen to but I’ve outgrown that since I’ve gotten the HEKs which are more diffused. If the 2C keeps those same lush mids to some degree than I’ll probably like them. I don’t have issue with the “typical” Audeze midrange as some folks might.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #6,746 of 7,334
Well I’ve had the 2F (bamboo) and they had lush mids. Very enjoyable and enough clarity to follow vocals on. More forward cans like the 600/650 may make mids easier to listen to but I’ve outgrown that since I’ve gotten the HEKs which are more diffused. If the 2C keeps those same lush mids to some degree than I’ll probably like them. I don’t have issue with the “typical” Audeze midrange as some folks might.
The HD 600 is not forward. It's one of the most balanced and musical cans for any amount of money, it is just not as technical as some people would like.

Lush? I think the 2C definitely qualifies. It's hard to find a negative comment about the 2C anywhere. They're definitely a classic, despite the name :)

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #6,747 of 7,334
The HD 600 is not forward. It's one of the most balanced and musical cans for any amount of money, it is just not as technical as some people would like.

Lush? I think the 2C definitely qualifies. It's hard to find a negative comment about the 2C anywhere. They're definitely a classic, despite the name :)
Oh trust me I really enjoyed the 600s on my fully maxed out Bottlehead Crack. They’re very neutral and the mids sound quite good but I prefer Audeze/ZMF warmer tonality. Good to see the 2C have that same lush sound I know Audeze for. Now what I’m trying to determine is if I should spring for the LCD 4s given their level of detail. I think what made me sell my 2Fs was that point of contention. I’ve struggled to find a good balance between micro detail and just sitting back and enjoying the music. Once you know there’s hidden layers in your music you want to continue to search for more haha

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #6,748 of 7,334
Never had the privilege of hearing ZMFs. Extremely impressed with what I have read though, Zach does beautiful work, no doubt!

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #6,749 of 7,334
Im still looking for best setup (for me).
My headphones are lcd2c but still trying to find and decide about amp and dac

Currently I have two picks for this hp
Topping a50s+d50s
or
Topping dx7 pro

From those two which would you choose?
Without p50 the 50s stack is about 20% cheaper.

I prefer dx7 pro only because of look and form factor. AiO is better for me.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #6,750 of 7,334
Im still looking for best setup (for me).
My headphones are lcd2c but still trying to find and decide about amp and dac

Currently I have two picks for this hp
Topping a50s+d50s
or
Topping dx7 pro

From those two which would you choose?
Without p50 the 50s stack is about 20% cheaper.

I prefer dx7 pro only because of look and form factor. AiO is better for me.
In 2022, delta-sigma DACs must be left behind. Consider R2R. The cheapest ones are made by Audio-Gd, but SQ would be much better for the amount of money.
Delta-sigma is a professional's fate to enjoy the clinical and dead sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back