Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #2,236 of 7,334

Thanks for the head up. Now I really wish I could have demoed the 2C against the AFO prior to buying the latter. I auditioned the AFO vs the 2F, and thought the 2F was too dark and the AFO was brighter and more energetic... but maybe it was this "romantic" sound (as Tyll describes it) that I was hearing.

Anyhow, looks like the 2C is finally here in Oz... time for a little trip :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,237 of 7,334
Thanks for the head up. Now I really wish I could have demoed the 2C against the AFO prior to buying the latter. I auditioned the AFO vs the 2F, and thought the 2F was too dark and the AFO was brighter and more energetic... but maybe it was this "romantic" sound (as Tyll describes it) that I was hearing.
Actually Tyll describes the AFO as being romantic and the 2C as being brighter and more energetic. I’m not exactly sure where this sense that the 2F/2C is “dark” comes from.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #2,238 of 7,334
Actually Tyll describes the AFO as being romantic and the 2C as being brighter and more energetic. I’m not exactly sure where this sense that the 2F/2C is “dark” comes from.

My bad... when I said "romantic", I actually was referring to the AFO.

Darker than the 2F was how others told me the original LCD-2 sounded, and the 2C was likely to be similar. I couldn't find an original, so I auditioned the LCD-2F, which I felt was darker compared to the AFO... and I inferred the 2C would be darker still. In hindsight, maybe it was some other quality other than "brightness" that drew me to the AFO.

My main HP prior was the MSR7... I guess anything will sound dark when compared to those :p

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #2,239 of 7,334
My bad... when I said "romantic", I actually was referring to the AFO.

Darker than the 2F was how others told me the original LCD-2 sounded, and the 2C was likely to be similar. I couldn't find an original, so I auditioned the LCD-2F, which I felt was darker compared to the AFO... and I inferred the 2C would be darker still. In hindsight, maybe it was some other quality other than "brightness" that drew me to the AFO.

My main HP prior was the MSR7... I guess anything will sound dark when compared to those :p
Hehe, you’re right, all depends what your point of reference is. I like darker headphones, but not dark per se. Tried the Nighthawks once. That was like black hole dark. I find the 2016 LCD-2F brighter than expected, by nowhere near ‘bright’. A friend reckons they’re dark, but then he’s used to AKGs and Beyers with their head-drilling treble :p

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2,240 of 7,334
Did you find some comparison of the LCD-2C with pre-fazor old models ?
So far what I see from the LCD2-C is that it's not close to the old ones, and still neutral/warmish instead of warm/dark as the old models were supposed to be.

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,241 of 7,334
Did you find some comparison of the LCD-2C with pre-fazor old models ?
So far what I see from the LCD2-C is that it's not close to the old ones, and still neutral/warmish instead of warm/dark as the old models were supposed to be.
Nope, been looking everywhere, but all the evidence says you're right - they're warm of neutral but not dark/lush/honey like the originals were supposed to be. I've never heard the originals myself, just going on what previous owners and colleagues tell me. One of the surprising aspects for me is just that - that the 2C is getting widespread acclaim for its sound, but its sound is nothing like the original LCDs that people were supposedly craving, and much closer to the 2016 fazors that many are critical of. Strange indeed.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #2,242 of 7,334
Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative for the original $150 Audeze LCD case? I could just use the cutout foam that came in the shipping cardboard box and be happy with it.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2,244 of 7,334
Hehe, you’re right, all depends what your point of reference is. I like darker headphones, but not dark per se. Tried the Nighthawks once. That was like black hole dark. I find the 2016 LCD-2F brighter than expected, by nowhere near ‘bright’. A friend reckons they’re dark, but then he’s used to AKGs and Beyers with their head-drilling treble :p

I auditioned lcd2/3/4 one and half year ago. They were equally dark compared to hd800s and ether c. Describing afo as dark is strange to me because, I didn't find it was dark (but slightly darker) compared to my ether c flow. And female vocal on afo is fantastic. So I guess the order of darkness follows: lcd2 > aeon flow open > lcd2c. my 2 cents

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #2,245 of 7,334
Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative for the original $150 Audeze LCD case? I could just use the cutout foam that came in the shipping cardboard box and be happy with it.
Travel case for LCD2/3/X/XC/MX4 $125
ADZ_Stage3_Product_TravelCase_0.jpg

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,246 of 7,334
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #2,247 of 7,334
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #2,249 of 7,334
But it’s still expensive haha
He said 150 in the post but actually the price is 125.
Yes I agree with that but my sense of humor got in the way

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,250 of 7,334
Sorry if this had been asked and answered before but has anyone have experience with both the Focal Elex and the Audeze LCD2C. Been looking for info and haven't found the comparisons written about anywhere. I've been waiting for the Clears to come back into stock but now I'm considering getting the Focal Elex instead.

I have had the LCD2C for a few weeks now and with the right information on hand from someone who has both the Elex and LCD2C I might pull the trigger before the drop ends.

Anyone? Waddayathink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back