Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #6,947 of 7,334
I´ve been using mine for over a year now. I have to say that, with FLAC files plus an Ares2 DAC, the detail loss that the 2C brings, make digital sound as non fatiguing as vinyl. Something like that. You have to EQ it to make it sound at its best, like any output device really anyways. Did many A/B test with vinyl. They sound more similar to each other by the 2C than by studio monitor speakers.

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #6,949 of 7,334
I'm using the graph comparison tool offered by crinacle on his website (see here).

HD 650 vs LCD-2C.png

I owned the HD 650 at the same time as the LCD-2C, and my impressions of them both would seem to correspond with the differences shown in the graph above when it comes to the 1.5 - 6 kHz range. I don't find the upper-mids or lower treble to be too emphasized, for my preferences, on the LCD-2C, but then I didn't find that region shouty on the HD 650, either.

It'll be a matter of personal taste and preference, then, to an extent. There's some emphasis on the LCD-2C, as you can see, from 2 kHz, and that might contribute to the vocal shoutiness you've read about. I hope others weigh in about this for you.

I've found the LCD-2C to have a bit of treble roughness with some amp pairings, and finding the right, synergistic chain of DAC, amp, and headphones will matter, too (the LCD-2C really needs or benefits from a good deal of power). And there's always the option of using the Reveal Plugin, which might help.

For what it's worth, I love my LCD-2C because I like the old Audeze house sound - with its slightly dark tonality - and I find it to be nicely forgiving of poorly recorded modern music and free of fatigue (I use mine for alternative rock). I'd recommend trying before buying, though, if at all possible, and if that's not possible, I'd suggest buying used to limit any financial loss from re-sale if you don't like the LCD-2C.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #6,950 of 7,334
I'm using the graph comparison tool offered by crinacle on his website (see here).

I owned the HD 650 at the same time as the LCD-2C, and my impressions of them both would seem to correspond with the differences shown in the graph above when it comes to the 1.5 - 6 kHz range. I don't find the upper-mids or lower treble to be too emphasized, for my preferences, on the LCD-2C, but then I didn't find that region shouty on the HD 650, either.

It'll be a matter of personal taste and preference, then, to an extent. There's some emphasis on the LCD-2C, as you can see, from 2 kHz, and that might contribute to the vocal shoutiness you've read about. I hope others weigh in about this for you.

I've found the LCD-2C to have a bit of treble roughness with some amp pairings, and finding the right, synergistic chain of DAC, amp, and headphones will matter, too (the LCD-2C really needs or benefits from a good deal of power). And there's always the option of using the Reveal Plugin, which might help.

For what it's worth, I love my LCD-2C because I like the old Audeze house sound - with its slightly dark tonality - and I find it to be nicely forgiving of poorly recorded modern music and free of fatigue (I use mine for alternative rock). I'd recommend trying before buying, though, if at all possible, and if that's not possible, I'd suggest buying used to limit any financial loss from re-sale if you don't like the LCD-2C.
Thank you, that graph doesn't look like it should have any problems with vocal shoutiness, and from what I understand, they should respond well to EQ, so it seems to be a minor problem that can be corrected.
Btw I'm also a fan of alternative rock as well as classic rock from the 60's and 70's, and need headphones suitable for that type of music.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #6,951 of 7,334
I have read some reviews that claim that 2C have upper mid emphasis (shouty vocals) like Sennheiser 6.. series, is that true? If so, I'll have to look for something else.
True. They are pretty forward and aggressive in the mids, even more so than the Sennheiser 6XX that I also own and enjoy. A very good rock-and-roll headphone, for that reason and for the dark, forgiving sound signature, as @Tchoupitoulas accurately pinpointed.

The sub-bass and mid-bass quantity and quality is MILES better in the LCD-2C than the 6XX, another aspect that makes it a vibrant rock headphone. I also find the treble to be slightly more resolving yet still very smooth and non-fatiguing like the 6XX. The LCD-2C soundstage is MUCH wider and better, without the three-blog imaging of the 6XX.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #6,952 of 7,334
True. They are pretty forward and aggressive in the mids, even more so than the Sennheiser 6XX that I also own and enjoy. A very good rock-and-roll headphone, for that reason and for the dark, forgiving sound signature, as @Tchoupitoulas accurately pinpointed.

The sub-bass and mid-bass quantity and quality is MILES better in the LCD-2C than the 6XX, another aspect that makes it a vibrant rock headphone. I also find the treble to be slightly more resolving yet still very smooth and non-fatiguing like the 6XX. The LCD-2C soundstage is MUCH wider and better, without the three-blog imaging of the 6XX.
Does that mean that vocals are right up in your face?

Sep 24, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #6,953 of 7,334
Not exactly in your face like IEMs but the frontal image is much closer than HD6XX without EQ. But the instruments spread wider than HD6XX.

All this depends heavily on your source. My source is an R2R based DAP (RS6) and DAC (EF400).

With PM2 & NX7 the image is a little deep creating much more balanced stage.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #6,954 of 7,334
I own both, hd6xx is more precise, detailed, has more mid emphasis, more british tuned, they lack bass, a lot, and slam, compared to the LCD 2C. LCD 2C do not have necessarily a huge slam, but they are capable and can be eq for bass no problem, hd6xx you can add some bass via eq, but only so much, only a bit more.
LCD-2C has much more soundstage, more open sound, lacks detail, and low highs and upper mids are a bit recessed, can improve that easily via EQ. LCD2-C more spatial, warm, smooth, relaxed. hd6xx anohter thing, also pleasant and natural, but different, more inside the head. For voices though, hd6xx much more natural, and for listening to podcasts, dialogues, movies, radio, hd6xx much more brittish voiced, very easy and natural no understand voices even at very low volumes.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #6,956 of 7,334
In many cases, yes. At least I think so. 6XX are smoother with vocals, but again, the forward nature of the vocals on the LCD-2C works well with rock.

I do turn down the mids a smidge on the LCD-2C with a JDS Labs Subjective 3 three-band analog EQ. I also turn up the treble an equal amount as the reduction in the mids to try and add perceived detail.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #6,957 of 7,334
I own both, hd6xx is more precise, detailed, has more mid emphasis, more british tuned, they lack bass, a lot, and slam, compared to the LCD 2C. LCD 2C do not have necessarily a huge slam, but they are capable and can be eq for bass no problem, hd6xx you can add some bass via eq, but only so much, only a bit more.
LCD-2C has much more soundstage, more open sound, lacks detail, and low highs and upper mids are a bit recessed, can improve that easily via EQ. LCD2-C more spatial, warm, smooth, relaxed. hd6xx anohter thing, also pleasant and natural, but different, more inside the head. For voices though, hd6xx much more natural, and for listening to podcasts, dialogues, movies, radio, hd6xx much more brittish voiced, very easy and natural no understand voices even at very low volumes.
Aye.
LCD2C with EQ is like a chameleon, you can turn it into a bass head can yet with so much control where other cans fall apart. I have never heard a headphone that responds to EQ like LCD2C and all LCDs for that matter IMO.

HD6XX on tubes can slam but not like 2C, not even close......no contest there.

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #6,958 of 7,334

Most measurements like this one is taken using the pre 2021 pads. If you buy a newer LCD-2C, you will have the post 2021 pads installed which I believe are better. They also change the tonality quite a bit (for the better imo). This is the only FR I've found so far using the new pads from 2021, and after messing around with EQ I believe that this one is quite accurate:

6b4c7a65b9270a09e93103c1cf6e7f1e.png

It follows the Harman curve pretty nicely in the top of the mids. It does however have a hump at around 800hz (even worse with the old pads), which I would try to EQ down personally. It will make the mids sound more natural (timbre), and maybe a bit less shouty. I believe the dip in the treble is real, but don't worry too much about it. It doesn't sound as recessed as it looks, because the bottom of the dip is not so broad. A boost here will help with the sense of detail, but if you boost more than 5-6db it can get too bright.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #6,959 of 7,334
Most measurements like this one is taken using the pre 2021 pads. If you buy a newer LCD-2C, you will have the post 2021 pads installed which I believe are better. They also change the tonality quite a bit (for the better imo). This is the only FR I've found so far using the new pads from 2021, and after messing around with EQ I believe that this one is quite accurate:

6b4c7a65b9270a09e93103c1cf6e7f1e.png

It follows the Harman curve pretty nicely in the top of the mids. It does however have a hump at around 800hz (even worse with the old pads), which I would try to EQ down personally. It will make the mids sound more natural (timbre), and maybe a bit less shouty. I believe the dip in the treble is real, but don't worry too much about it. It doesn't sound as recessed as it looks, because the bottom of the dip is not so broad. A boost here will help with the sense of detail, but if you boost more than 5-6db it can get too bright.
I would not eq anything more than 3dB maximum, maximum.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #6,960 of 7,334
I have read some reviews that claim that 2C have upper mid emphasis (shouty vocals) like Sennheiser 6.. series, is that true? If so, I'll have to look for something else.
Not true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back