Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 21, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #6,856 of 7,334
It's hard to find anybody who doesn't like a pair of LCD-2C. Great set of cans and at a fair price point.

May 22, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #6,859 of 7,334
There is a classifieds section here, probably safer / better than reddit. Look at the top menu bar of the headfi site.

May 22, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #6,861 of 7,334
Simon, I'd suggest looking into DAPs that have a good deal of power, something like the Astell&Kern Kann DAPs, for instance - although I should hasten to add that I've not heard the LCD-2 Classic from one.

Quite frankly, though, I don't know if a DAP will drive your LCD-2 Classic well enough. I'll defer to others, then, with direct experience.

I went through several desktop amps until I found one that did a good enough job driving the Classics: from Magni 3 to the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid to a THX 789 and then a Jot 2, I found only the Jot 2 to do a decent job, and even then, it was outclassed by my current amp, a Schiit Mjolnir 1, which I believe is capable of a maximum power at 32 ohms of 8.0W RMS per channel. The LCD-2 Classic really wake up with a beefy amp.

May 23, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #6,862 of 7,334
Does anyone have the frequency response for the Classics with the new pads from 2021? I like Oratorys EQ profile for these, but I don't trust his 8-10khz boost. His measurements doesn't predict this area in the response. I could try to do it by ear but that's some fatigueing work, and it will likely end up being slightly inaccurate.

May 23, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #6,863 of 7,334
Does anyone have the frequency response for the Classics with the new pads from 2021? I like Oratorys EQ profile for these, but I don't trust his 8-10khz boost. His measurements doesn't predict this area in the response. I could try to do it by ear but that's some fatigueing work, and it will likely end up being slightly inaccurate.
I think the Reveal plug-in does a pretty good job of making these a little more neutral.. I don’t bother with the various EQ’s people have made

May 24, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #6,864 of 7,334
So I've had the 2020 LCD-2 Fazor for a little while now, and to me it was just a bit too clinical and a bit boring.. Much more detailed and with much better imaging than the LCD-2 Classic, so you can argue it's better in terms of technical performance. But I really missed the Classics (despite the fact that I had them with the older pads even). I had way more fun with them. I went to try the Classics again yesterday with the new pads, and not only are these two completely different headphones to me, but I highly prefer the Classics. Not only is the Classics way more comfortable, but the bass is more punchy, the sub bass sounds better and the treble tonality was much better (atleast with the new pads, the old pads kind of ruined the treble a bit). The Classics, while the imaging is way worse, has a very open and laidback sound while the 2F is very narrow. I highly prefer the open sound, despite worse imaging. I feel like it makes for a much more comfortable listening experience (2F sounded more aggressive). I preferred the Classics with just about any genre, but the most impressive thing was how well they handled recordings that were poorly recorded. They were very forgiving, and things like Old School Rock with mediocre sound quality was a joy to listen to, moreso than any other headphone that I have tried so far. I have tried very forgiving headphones before, but not of the same quality as these. I also really liked the bass better for Hip-Hop, and the wider soundstage for stuff like Jazz and RnB. Feels great to not have to let the headphone decide what I have to listen to, I can just put them on and play anything that I want and it will sound good.

I'm very picky with headphones and have tried a bunch that I ended up selling, but I think these will be a keep for sure. I think these are underrated headphones. And to clarify, all of my listening with both headphones was done using harman based EQ, because I really prefer that neutral signature as my taste in music is very diverse.
Well I can recommend the Focal house signature if you like open, good imaging and punchy performance 👍

May 24, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #6,865 of 7,334
I messed around with OratoryEQ, and I do have a profile based on that saved for the LCD-2C among a few others, but all I think they really need is 4-5db around 4k. No need to overthink it, at least that's become my approach, as I've worked out what sounds most pleasing to me on most of my HP's and IEM's by now.

May 24, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #6,866 of 7,334

I messed around with OratoryEQ, and I do have a profile based on that saved for the LCD-2C among a few others, but all I think they really need is 4-5db around 4k. No need to overthink it, at least that's become my approach, as I've worked out what sounds most pleasing to me on most of my HP's and IEM's by now.

AutoEQ PEQ profiles based on oratory1990 measurements are what I found works best in most cases.

Preamp: -6.8 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 15 Hz Gain 3.8 dB Q 0.30
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 239 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 0.89
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 927 Hz Gain -3.9 dB Q 1.24
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2761 Hz Gain -2.9 dB Q 4.10
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3708 Hz Gain 7.0 dB Q 1.65
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4689 Hz Gain 1.6 dB Q 4.23
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5500 Hz Gain 0.3 dB Q 2.61
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6128 Hz Gain -4.4 dB Q 3.24
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 7031 Hz Gain 2.8 dB Q 3.97
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 10752 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2.86
If using EQ APO you can save this into a .txt file and import through the PEACE GUI on Windows.

May 24, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #6,867 of 7,334
They sounded great to me with his EQ. Its just that on the 2F and LCD-2C with the old pads he was boosting 8-10khz area by around +4db on his profile, when they already had peaks in this area. Because his measurments doesn't measure these frequencies. They became pretty damn siblant until I figured out what was wrong.

May 24, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #6,868 of 7,334
What's the latest revision of these? I have the 2017f Bambo, has there been any driver revisions since then? I notice that Thoeri above said he has 2020f version and said it sounded clinical, I didn't think an LCD-2 could sound clinical tbh, I'm wondering if the sound has changed in a new revision I'm unaware of?

May 24, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #6,869 of 7,334
LCD-2 and LCD-2C are not the same.

May 24, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #6,870 of 7,334
What's the latest revision of these? I have the 2017f Bambo, has there been any driver revisions since then? I notice that Thoeri above said he has 2020f version and said it sounded clinical, I didn't think an LCD-2 could sound clinical tbh, I'm wondering if the sound has changed in a new revision I'm unaware of?
To my ears yes, you might have a different experience. Also, I was using the Oratory EQ. I prefer a more open sound in general, I'm used to my Aryas. I think the soundstage is a bit small on the 2020 fazor. Havent tried the older versions, not sure of how much difference there is. I think the 2020 version is the most recent one, I believe the drivers has been changed a bit maybe?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back