Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #6,526 of 7,334
Yeah, it's by far to most balanced of the 3 and is actually a really good headphone for it's vintage. There are those that say the 600Ω is superior, however I've never heard them - I use the 880 Pro 250Ω. As for your Darkvoice amp then I can't comment as to it's synergy with the 880 as I don't have a Darkvoice

Do, however stay away from the 770 and 990 as the treble there could be weaponized if the Geneva convention didn't forbid it - unless you happen to like tinnitus.
Thanks for the warning, am not that old to benefit from the extra treble yet 😜

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #6,527 of 7,334
These headphones don't need an equalizer ...... they just need the right amp/dac....but more so a powerful amp.

Off my mojo they sound good....but off the desktop setup there's no comparison....they start to sing and are an absolute steal for the money......I don't think the likes of a $99 amp like a magni 3 or similar is doing them any justice....it seems to scale more than the likes of the Hifiman Sundara.

I also agree that if a headphone needs to be EQ'd then its not the headphone for you, seems like a a waste of time .......Like buying a Ferrari and modifying the exhaust cause you don't like how it sounds compared to a Lamborghini.....just buy the Lambo and enjoy driving the car.....IMO ofcourse

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #6,528 of 7,334
Best is to use the Audeze Reveal software

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #6,530 of 7,334
To me Audeze Reveal software is an admission by Audeze that they've messed up.

"Hey, Sorry we screwed up on the hardware, but here's a software fix"

Maybe that's just me though.
I also believe in this theory

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #6,531 of 7,334
To me Audeze Reveal software is an admission by Audeze that they've messed up.

"Hey, Sorry we screwed up on the hardware, but here's a software fix"

Maybe that's just me though.
Maybe. But engineering/designing is all about choosing a compromise, choose your poison. Since this has no DSP on it, maybe they decided to give best technical performance pre-dsp, pre-eq, at the cost of EQ need. A compromise, a problem, in order to achieve a best final point. You don't like it? no problem at all buy a flatter headphones, or ones that sound better to your ear pre EQ. But I think it is a very good compromise that the chose.

Durability is my concern, not the eq.

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #6,532 of 7,334
A good cans should sound nice without EQ IMHO

Jun 6, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #6,533 of 7,334
Maybe. But engineering/designing is all about choosing a compromise, choose your poison. Since this has no DSP on it, maybe they decided to give best technical performance pre-dsp, pre-eq, at the cost of EQ need. A compromise, a problem, in order to achieve a best final point. You don't like it? no problem at all buy a flatter headphones, or ones that sound better to your ear pre EQ. But I think it is a very good compromise that the chose.

Durability is my concern, not the eq.
Hey, I'm perfectly fine with the way the LCD-2C sound without EQ, or the Audeze Reveal DSP plug in for that matter. My problem is that cheap inbuilt DSPs (although maybe not so cheap now given the chip crisis at the moment), or software based DSPs are encouraging bad design, and/or significant cost cutting in R&D and materials because the audio sins that it creates can be brushed under the carpet with a bit of digital wizardry.

Ultimately it's reducing the quality of product that we buy, not only in terms of sound, but also in durability - cheaper construction methods and cheaper materials that reduce the longevity and the overall naked sound quality without the aforementioned digital correction. Not to mention selling it for 5 times the price of a better constructed, and arguably better sounding headphone from 10 years ago.

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #6,534 of 7,334
you are mixing apples with cucumbers, and chocolate.

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #6,535 of 7,334
Jun 7, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #6,536 of 7,334
you are mixing apples with cucumbers, and chocolate.
No I'm not. I work in high tech and have done for most of my working life. Things that I've noticed during that time is that the engineered product quality has gone down significantly as it's become more cost efficient to cheaply manufacture and then compensate with advanced digital controllers and sensors. Back in the day the things we would produce would made of high quality metals and precise bearings, now it's all made of cheap badly machined Chinesium. Twenty years ago the industrial stuff we produced would still be fully functional and serviceable for up to 30 years. These days the whole thing is shot after 3-5 years.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #6,537 of 7,334
that is so true, but we deserve crap, as a society, we don't deserve better. We deserve bluetooth speakers with a battery not replaceable, that will die in 3 years, and still, people still buy it and never complain, LOL.

But about the audeze, I said exact same thing, I was requesting a 5 year or 10 year warranty, and everyone jumped over me. They said audeze is like a Koenisegg or a Pagani car; the last of the last niche super car that breaks like an F-1 because it is the last of the last and...

Still, not related to the EQ. And any headphone needs eq, any. The best headphone ever without eq sounds like pure... now if the owner doesn't care or notice or can't hear anymore, that is another story altogether.

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #6,538 of 7,334
No I'm not. I work in high tech and have done for most of my working life. Things that I've noticed during that time is that the engineered product quality has gone down significantly as it's become more cost efficient to cheaply manufacture and then compensate with advanced digital controllers and sensors. Back in the day the things we would produce would made of high quality metals and precise bearings, now it's all made of cheap badly machined Chinesium. Twenty years ago the industrial stuff we produced would still be fully functional and serviceable for up to 30 years. These days the whole thing is shot after 3-5 years.
the only hi tech in Zurich is money laundering, for the rest, the prices there are so high that the last hi tech there, are automatic watches, so cut the BS my friend. There is no high tech in switzerland since 1969, LOL

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #6,539 of 7,334
the only hi tech in Zurich is money laundering, for the rest, the prices there are so high that the last hi tech there, are automatic watches, so cut the BS my friend. There is no high tech in switzerland since 1969, LOL
I second your input on the high prices and the watches 😃😃😃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back