Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #5,972 of 7,334
My LCD 2C arrived a few days ago. It took 3 days for the shipment to get from California to Greece, and then almost 2 weeks to clear customs...
It has the new mesh and I'm currently pairing it with the Audio-GD R2R 11. It is my first entry into the Planar Magnetic universe. I love what I'm hearing so far! I just hope the R2R 11 has the power to drive them to their full potential!
On another note, Slimer also likes the headphones! 😁
20200710_143530.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #5,973 of 7,334
My LCD 2C arrived a few days ago.
It has the new mesh and I'm currently pairing it with the Audio-GD R2R 11. It is my first entry into the Planar Magnetic universe. I love what I'm hearing so far! I just hope the R2R 11 has the power to drive them to their full potential!

Welcome to the ownership crowd!
If you love what you're hearing try not to dwell on whether or not something in the chain is up to the task. I know from my history anyway that it took me a while to break out of audiophilia nervosa's clutches. It can have you updating power outlets, fuses, cables, tubes, etc. etc. It never ends !
I personally love my 2c with my Bottlehead SEX.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #5,974 of 7,334
I don't know that the 2C is laid back. I would say it's warm and very smooth but the detail is still very good. It's extremely pleasant, non-fatiguing and for me a good complement to the HD 600s. I haven't heard the 650/6XX.

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #5,975 of 7,334
I really haven't been using my 2C much at all in the past few months especially after I got the Ananda. I decided to take off the Dekoni velour pads and put the vegan pads back on to see if that would help make them fun again and it did change the sound up more than I was expecting. It's not night and day of course but it did help bring the upper mids and treble out more which helped a lot but then I eq'd the slope in the mids up and it sounds so much better now. I still think the Ananda is better but not as much as I did before. The velour pads just made them sound more dull and life less for some reason, I mean the bass was a little better but you can fix that with a little eq anyways. The soundstage also sounds better to me, it might not sound quite as wide but the imaging is much better now and everything just stands out more.

I did install Foobar on my M11 and even though I'm listening through spdif I have noticed that depending on what app I'm using it can change the sound a bit. The Fiio music app is by far the brightest sounding where as Power Amp is warmer and Foobar sounds the most natural imo. I don't really know why that is since it's all going through the same amp and Dac but I can clearly hear a difference.

Anyways, I'm glad I changed the pads because I was seriously considering selling the 2C after getting the Ananda but now that they sound better and are different enough from the Ananda that they're still worth keeping around, at least for now.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #5,976 of 7,334
Anyone know / can comment on the air pressure seal that the 2C has? My buddy has my 2Cs I purchased and he's forwarding them to me internationally. His impressions were awesome sounding by the seal makes him feels like he is deep diving again and doesn't like that. Is this common for everyone? I have a pretty steep back of the neck and a small head, so not sure I'd I'll get a crazy tight seal.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #5,977 of 7,334
I do not experience the "air pressure seal" issues described recently................even moving them around and/or adjusting them while music is playing.

Just listened to them last night for a couple of hours for the first time in a while............they are really good headphones. Glad I got them...............

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #5,979 of 7,334
Anyone know / can comment on the air pressure seal that the 2C has? My buddy has my 2Cs I purchased and he's forwarding them to me internationally. His impressions were awesome sounding by the seal makes him feels like he is deep diving again and doesn't like that. Is this common for everyone? I have a pretty steep back of the neck and a small head, so not sure I'd I'll get a crazy tight seal.
Yeah you're not the only one experiencing this suction cup thing. Last night I had to stop listening because it was messing up the sound too much. Tonight no suction cups and the sound is excellent.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #5,980 of 7,334
Yeah you're not the only one experiencing this suction cup thing. Last night I had to stop listening because it was messing up the sound too much. Tonight no suction cups and the sound is excellent.

Sounds like maybe you can break the seal a bit to equalize the pressure. But I think Audeze makes these so they seal like crazy to keep the bass tight.

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #5,981 of 7,334
I am joining the LCD-2 classics club. Just ordered today. It's been kind of a long road to get here. I first heard the original LCD-2 years ago at an event at The LA film school with my friend who ran that school. There were several Audeze headphones to try and I distinctly remember liking the 2's better than or at least the same as the more expensive siblings in a quiet but casual listen. They seemed out of my price range so I tried owning different phones that all had things I liked but none were perfect. For a while I had the K701's which had amazing soundstage but no slam or bass energy. I bought, swapped and sold at various head-fi meetups, usually trading up with some added cash. BTW the one constant was a Mr Speakers Mad Dog 3.2 (after upgrading) which I still used today for some music and for podcasting.

After moving from LA to Nashville I ended up buying a pair of Audeze EL-8's from an Atlanta dealer at a Nashville head-fi meetup after selling another headphone and maybe a DAC if I remember correctly. I don't think I ever felt the EL8's were end game but it didn't matter because soon after I upgraded my desktop speaker rig with a Schiit Eiter and Modi Multibit DAC which I've been using 90% of the time. The EL8's had a warranty issue right at one year in and were replaced with a refurbished unit which mostly sat on my bent wood stand. The other day I noticed one side was no longer working and it was yet again at the one year mark (2 years from original purchase). I was disappointed but ready to pay for the repair rather than lose my investment. I contacted Audeze to see what they could do for me, hoping for some kind of discount on a refurbished unit since the EL-8s were discontinued and an end of life product. Audeze really stepped up and got me into a pair of my dream headphones with an awesome deal. I couldn't be happier with the service I've gotten from them the last two years.

I have a tube hybrid Peachtree amp on my desktop and a great little Yulong A100 class A headphone amp in a listening area. I'm feeding it through my iPhone 6s+ with the CEntrance Hifi Skyn as a Roon endpoint. At this very moment I'm listening to the Dave Matthews Tim Reynolds double album Live at Luther College on my Mad Dogs. Having a pretty nice time of it today but can't wait to try both rigs with the LCD-2 Classics. I'll report my impressions when I get them.

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #5,982 of 7,334
I am joining the LCD-2 classics club. Just ordered today. It's been kind of a long road to get here. I first heard the original LCD-2 years ago at an event at The LA film school with my friend who ran that school. There were several Audeze headphones to try and I distinctly remember liking the 2's better than or at least the same as the more expensive siblings in a quiet but casual listen. They seemed out of my price range so I tried owning different phones that all had things I liked but none were perfect. For a while I had the K701's which had amazing soundstage but no slam or bass energy. I bought, swapped and sold at various head-fi meetups, usually trading up with some added cash. BTW the one constant was a Mr Speakers Mad Dog 3.2 (after upgrading) which I still used today for some music and for podcasting.

After moving from LA to Nashville I ended up buying a pair of Audeze EL-8's from an Atlanta dealer at a Nashville head-fi meetup after selling another headphone and maybe a DAC if I remember correctly. I don't think I ever felt the EL8's were end game but it didn't matter because soon after I upgraded my desktop speaker rig with a Schiit Eiter and Modi Multibit DAC which I've been using 90% of the time. The EL8's had a warranty issue right at one year in and were replaced with a refurbished unit which mostly sat on my bent wood stand. The other day I noticed one side was no longer working and it was yet again at the one year mark (2 years from original purchase). I was disappointed but ready to pay for the repair rather than lose my investment. I contacted Audeze to see what they could do for me, hoping for some kind of discount on a refurbished unit since the EL-8s were discontinued and an end of life product. Audeze really stepped up and got me into a pair of my dream headphones with an awesome deal. I couldn't be happier with the service I've gotten from them the last two years.

I have a tube hybrid Peachtree amp on my desktop and a great little Yulong A100 class A headphone amp in a listening area. I'm feeding it through my iPhone 6s+ with the CEntrance Hifi Skyn as a Roon endpoint. At this very moment I'm listening to the Dave Matthews Tim Reynolds double album Live at Luther College on my Mad Dogs. Having a pretty nice time of it today but can't wait to try both rigs with the LCD-2 Classics. I'll report my impressions when I get them.
im not a cable guy but look into getting a silver plated cable for them to really open things up

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #5,983 of 7,334
im not a cable guy but look into getting a silver plated cable for them to really open things up
The retailer I bought my LCD-2C from recommended OFC silver plated litz cable. Initially I thought he was trying to up sell me but then I thought why not. Big difference in clarity, detail and impact compared to the stock cable.

Aug 8, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #5,985 of 7,334
I've had my LCD2C's for a year now and still loving them. I've been driving them with an iFi micro idsd (silver) but after hearing them on my bro's lyr3 I've realised that these can really shine with a higher class of amp (what really struck me with the lyr was the effortlessness and the improvement in soundstage).

I'm a bit hesitant to go the tube route at the moment given I've got two toddlers in the house. Price is also a consideration and $500 before shipping and taxes is going to hit quite hard. So I've been looking at the Asgard 3 as reviews are quite positive and at $200 it's quite appealing. I'll be sticking with the iFi for use as a dac to feed to Asgard.

So my question to those who've heard the Asgard 3: would it be a good match for the LCD2C'S? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back