Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,623 of 7,334
I listened to a he1000 and my lcd2c for 3 hours a/Bing through a hugo2 and I preferred my lcd2c im not so sure what dynamics you find lacking in the lcd2c, i can't say anything about focal headphones but i find macro dynamics and even micro dynamics to be far superior to my AFO. Ive had my lcd2c for 3 weeks and i sensed a kinda veil sound too mainly with female vocals but a few days ago I revisited the same song i originally heard the veil and I didn't hear it anymore it was about 2 week's since i heard the song on my lcd2c so there could be a brain burn in or just burn in period. But i mostly listen to prog rock or rock in general... Hip hop jazz.

I listen to live music performance as well as orchestral, which LCD2C can't really match Focal Clear, not even close. From those it is easy to hear the dynamics of the LCD2C lags behind Focal Clear greatly. One other headphone that could keep up (or even surpass the Focal Clear) in dynamics is the HD800.

In other genres such as jazz the LCD2C fares much better but I would still give the nod to Focal Clear.

The thing about HE1000 is that it takes a really good amp to make it sound really good, better than anything else I have heard. On typical amps like Hugo2 and even my RME ADI-2 Pro they are good, but not living up to their potential.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #1,624 of 7,334
I listen to live music performance as well as orchestral, which LCD2C can't really match Focal Clear, not even close. From those it is easy to hear the dynamics of the LCD2C lags behind Focal Clear greatly. One other headphone that could keep up (or even surpass the Focal Clear) in dynamics is the HD800.

In other genres such as jazz the LCD2C fares much better but I would still give the nod to Focal Clear.

The thing about HE1000 is that it takes a really good amp to make it sound really good, better than anything else I have heard. On typical amps like Hugo2 and even my RME ADI-2 Pro they are good, but not living up to their potential.
ya you're going against the grain trying to use lcd2c for orchestra/live performance...

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #1,625 of 7,334

You can say HD800 is great for orchestra , classical and acoustic. It has much higher resolution and technical level. However, compared to LCD2C, it lacks "soul" and "musicality". It's "lifeless" next to my 2C even after SDR modded. I decided to sell HD800 because I don't usually listen to orchestra mainly which HD800 is a god at this genre but 2C is fine enough keeping up. In fact, 2C is an all-rounder, it can handle many genres that HD800 just simply can't as I have a large library of variety mp3 format, flac of j-pop music, some even bad remastered. When I was listening to HD800, i was simply more analyzing the track rather actually listened to it, sometimes it was not really a smooth ride.
The thing that put me away from Clear is that it's just being close to HD800 even having inferior staging and on that side side of spectrum meaning, it won't have a "soulful" , "lifelike" sound compared to LCD and it most likely will kill my ears with popular genres or bad remastered tracks.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #1,626 of 7,334
You can say HD800 is great for orchestra , classical. It has much higher resolution and technical level. However, compared to LCD2C, it lacks "soul" and "musicality". It's "lifeless" next to my 2C even after SDR modded. I decided to sell HD800 because I don't usually listen to orchestra mainly which HD800 is a god at this genre but 2C is fine enough keeping up. 2C is an all-rounder, it can handle many genres that HD800 just simply can't as I have a large library of variety mp3 j-pop music. The thing that put me away from Clear is that it's just being close to HD800 and on that side side of spectrum meaning, it won't have a soulful sound compared to LCD and it most likely will kill my ears with popular genres or bad remastered tracks.

Yes, as what I have listed as a possible weakness for the Focal Clear, it does not really color the sound, and is certainly not for those who loves the Audeze house sound.

I listen to Jpop myself and the HD800 simply does not work for that genre - Audio Technica is a lot better in that regard. I have no problem enjoying jpop with the Focal Clear though, and that is a quality that makes the Focal Clear a better all-rounder than the HD800.

I have mentioned HD800 just to make a point as why I find the LCD2C to be lacking in dynamics, and HD800 is something which most people have heard and is easier to relate to.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #1,627 of 7,334
Yes, as what I have listed as a possible weakness for the Focal Clear, it does not really color the sound, and is certainly not for those who loves the Audeze house sound.

I listen to Jpop myself and the HD800 simply does not work for that genre - Audio Technica is a lot better in that regard. I have no problem enjoying jpop with the Focal Clear though, and that is a quality that makes the Focal Clear a better all-rounder than the HD800.

I have mentioned HD800 just to make a point as why I find the LCD2C to be lacking in dynamics, and HD800 is something which most people have heard and is easier to relate to.
I'm very sensitive to upper mid and treble. Do you say Clear can handle popular genre, variety of different formats better than 2C? I doubt that, seems like it's a kind of neutral, resolving sound which doesn't seem to play nice with bad remastered tracks.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #1,628 of 7,334
I'm very sensitive to upper mid and treble. Do you say Clear can handle popular genre, variety of different formats better than 2C? I doubt that, seems like it's a kind of neutral, resolving sound which doesn't seem to play nice with bad remastered tracks.

I wouldn’t really call it “neutral” sounding without evoking the common perception of a neutral sounding headphone like the HD800.

The Focal Clear is a very balanced sounding headphone which makes it work across many different genres. I believe you will find people who didn’t enjoy the HD800 but are enjoying the Focal Clear.

But if you prefer a warmer headphone with rolled off treble like the Audezes then I would say this headphone might not be for you, just like how the Audezes is really not for me because I want the mids/highs as much as I want the lows.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #1,629 of 7,334
I believe that it is important for a can to be 'neutral' (capability to produce sound what is intended to be by a producer) to be a candidate for a 'reference' grade can. I believe Clear is much closer to neutral. lcd2 would not be a reference grade because of too much roll-off in treble.
That said, many people in the real world like 'colored' sound for whatever reasons (say, sensitivity to treble, basshead, tastes etc..). And there is nothing wrong to like a 'tuned' can more than a 'neutral' can. At the end, individual tastes play a role.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,633 of 7,334
This has prolly been addressed several times so forgive the repetitive question....

I used to own the PF LCD2.2 and was pretty underwhelmed with the mids,but loved the bass extension...
Is there any reason for me to look into the new classics,or is it literally the same headphone with a new name and price tag?

Anyone who owns or has heard both extensively care to comment....?

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,634 of 7,334
I just pulled the trigger on a pair and I'm having some major buyer remorse. I already own an Aeon Flow open and a PM-2 (and a TH900 mkii for my bass fix)....I'm not sure what I was thinking.

As @wazzupi said you have a thirty day window to return them. Try them out at least for a few weeks and if it’s not your thing Audeze makes it easy to return them. You may really end up liking them, or not, but at least you gave them a try right? :wink:

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,635 of 7,334
True enough. As I read more and more, it looks like a good choice. It looks like my ifi black label should be able to sufficiently power them. Plus, I loved the LCD2 r2 and the LCDX when I owned them, I just couldn't deal with the comfort issues. Looks like that had been rectified. I'll have to do a write up, directly comparing them to my Aeon Flow open and PM2 after I get then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back