Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #317 of 7,334
I am curious to listen to the LCD-2C when my dealer receives them. According to some people here they are more suited for rock and pop, not so much for classical, but we'll see.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #318 of 7,334
i tried the 2016 LCD2F and the bass is just not there, the bass has good extension but if you want real punchy bass you will be truly disappointed unless you are willing to EQ

Interesting. I love hearing opinions like this. Just shows how subjective sound can be. I have really wide reaching tastes in music, but I’ll always be a hip-hop head at heart so I’m eager to see if the Classics will do it justice.

If not, I guess I’ll have to save up for a complimentary pair like every other Joe here

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #319 of 7,334
Interesting. I love hearing opinions like this. Just shows how subjective sound can be. I have really wide reaching tastes in music, but I’ll always be a hip-hop head at heart so I’m eager to see if the Classics will do it justice.
I have the LCD-2F (2016 aluminum version) and I can tell you the bass is very much there! Is it as big and bold as my Fostex TH-X00? Of course not, but then nothing is. But that’s like saying my Ferrari doesn’t roar like my Mustang. Sourced properly (I’m running mine off an iDSD Micro as a DAC concerted to a balanced Matrix HPA-3B) the LCD’s bass goes low and full, but only makes an appearance when it’s called for in the song (unlike the Fostex that flavours everything with its deleocious bass). So if you’re a pure basshead you may want a companion basshead can to satisfy your cravings, but even as a basshead my LCD takes pride of place as the best headphone I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning.

PS. If you were to say the Senn 650 has no bass, then I’m with you. Tried it numerous times and the bass really is not there. The LCD-2F (and I would imagine the 2C as well) will have more bass quantity and quality than the 6xx family.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #320 of 7,334
I have the LCD-2F (2016 aluminum version) and I can tell you the bass is very much there! Is it as big and bold as my Fostex TH-X00? Of course not, but then nothing is. But that’s like saying my Ferrari doesn’t roar like my Mustang. Sourced properly (I’m running mine off an iDSD Micro as a DAC concerted to a balanced Matrix HPA-3B) the LCD’s bass goes low and full, but only makes an appearance when it’s called for in the song (unlike the Fostex that flavours everything with its deleocious bass). So if you’re a pure basshead you may want a companion basshead can to satisfy your cravings, but even as a basshead my LCD takes pride of place as the best headphone I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning.

PS. If you were to say the Senn 650 has no bass, then I’m with you. Tried it numerous times and the bass really is not there. The LCD-2F (and I would imagine the 2C as well) will have more bass quantity and quality than the 6xx family.

Yeah, definitely. I wouldn’t consider myself to be a basshead, I love my creamy up front mids, and clear detailed treble, but I hate sparkly anemic sterile sound signatures, AKA “reference headphones”. Which it sounds like the LCD-2C is nothing like. The JVC-HA FX1100 are a perfect example of my preferred signature.

Higher end headphones tend to have plenty of bass for naturally reproduced instruments, but for hip hop it will sound anemic for some reason, maybe because it’s artificial bass in many cases. Not sure. Anyway, I’m just rambling now. Hurry up with the emails Audeze!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #321 of 7,334
I'm curious to find out what the LCD-2C sounds like. I'm expecting it to be similar to the old school LCDs, but not identical. The lack of fazors is only part of the picture. From what I gather, the modern LCD drivers are made with different materials, so it doesn't make sense to assume they will sound the same. I was disappointed to learn these would be heavier than previously thought, I hope they live up to people's expectations in other ways.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #322 of 7,334
If you don't mind spending a little more, I would recommend getting used Atticus, it will satisfy your bass needs. I also pre-order for lcd2c to feed my curiosity but from my experience and research Atticus is refinement of lcd2 and HD650 (owned) high/mid with much better / hard hitting bass. I have EMU Teak previously if you wondering :)

I think I like my Teaks more than my Eikon

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #323 of 7,334
I think I like my Teaks more than my Eikon
I know it’s veering off topic but that’s quite a statement. I’m considering selling my Fostex and moving “up” to Atticus. Back on topic, I love how the LCD-2 is different enough from the Fostex to make them so complementary.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #324 of 7,334
I know it’s veering off topic but that’s quite a statement. I’m considering selling my Fostex and moving “up” to Atticus. Back on topic, I love how the LCD-2 is different enough from the Fostex to make them so complementary.

I'm still putting them through their paces but the Teaks have been getting all my head time.. comfort and weight have alot to do with it.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #325 of 7,334
I like my Teaks for that bit of extra treble when I want it (I'm treble sensitive, so I can't take the extra found in other Fostex TH series, or similar Denons) and sub bass power. It's more flat than the others, except for the MassDrop TH-X00 Ebony, though the treble peaks are centered a bit higher, in the Teak. They all still have recessed midrange to some degree, and are nearly semi-open in isolation, which is only a problem for a noisy environment. For a better seal, a bit better comfort, and far more mids, with a warmer treble and just a bit less sub bass, I like my modified Sony MDR-Z7. So they balance each other, one for harsher, brighter recordings, one for those that need more extension on both ends. That said, I have tried all of the Audeze various times. I tried them most recently at Adorama, recent Fazors. More space and detail still without harshness, just shy of bass I'd prefer. I then tried a pre-Fazor pair and noticed just a touch more bass. The less treble gives a false impression of lots more bass, when it just has a bit more.

The mids were a bit hot in places, and I still needed more low sub bass, so I'd found the MDR-Z7 does what the Audeze lacks. It has much better seal, comfort (lighter, better reach for longer heads, no clamp issues) and similar treble as pre-Fazor. The mids were a touch less shouty at 2 - 3 kHz, but have a resonant ringing at 900 hz -2 kHz that is bothersome that modding helps. They also cost less, open box is often $400 or less occasionally. Audeze needs to take the lighter frame on their new LCD MX4, put a Fazor type LCD-2 in that, to get that more spacious detailed sound, and tune it to increase sub bass, beyond just a "fast slam", to have more quantity below 60 hz, especially 40 hz. They would then have a winner if they price that below $500 and include a case and that much better LCD-MX4 and regular 4 cable, that is lighter - and much more practical. Also with less clamp, or where bending the headband can fix it, no comfort strap needed, due to lighter weight, and longer upgrade pins for larger heads installed, by default.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #326 of 7,334
They would then have a real winner if they could price it below $500 and include a case and that much better LCD-MX4 and regular 4 cable, that is lighter - and much more practical.
Just the case is $125! With the list of improvements above you’re probably looking at north of $1000, not less than $500, but wishful thinking never hurt... The LCD-2 is very much a premium headphone, so unlikely you’ll ever see it play in the same ballpark as the mid-fi Sony’s or Fostex variants. (Price wise I mean, sound sig being entirely subjective and personal).

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #327 of 7,334
Just the case is $125! With the list of improvements above you’re probably looking at north of $1000, not less than $500.

I agree, you make great points. I was being idealistic. I'd be okay without the case since these headphones are meant to stay at home (or in the studio) anyway. Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open has a similar warm sound with a bit more detail (from what I've read) with great bass, maybe just a bit less sub bass, for well below $1,000, with a hard case.

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #329 of 7,334
Atticus has being hyped to kingdom come on this forum, yet I see at least 3 Atticus on sale currently on here and they are all like brand new, that speaks for itself. O and if you do buy it second hand you lose the lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #330 of 7,334
Haha, I agree the Atticus is being hyped to hell and back, but them being on the marketplace doesn't say much. Tons of TOTL cans go on there every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back