Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,606 of 7,334
Funny how the holiday special price is still active while it's already passed the holiday...
Just bought AFO to see how it goes against 2c as this thread is seriously lacking comparison between the 2 despite several people here owning them

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,609 of 7,334
Funny how the holiday special price is still active while it's already passed the holiday...
Just bought AFO to see how it goes against 2c as this thread is seriously lacking comparison between the 2 despite several people here owning them

Personally, they both have different sound signatures so it’s hard to compare them. The 2C leans slightly warm with a more analytical sound. It’s quicker and has great sub bass layering. Mids are more neutral and doesn’t have as much weight as the Aeons.

The Aeons have a much more dynamic sound and forgiving sound. The sub bass extends deep but doesn’t layer as well. It has great mids and is very punchy. Tonality is spot on and since the mids to me sound more forward; female voices sound amazing.

This is somewhat akin to comparing a TH-X00 to a HD650. To me, the Aeon and LCD-2C compliment each other.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,610 of 7,334

I e-mailed Audeze and they said the "holiday" pricing goes until the end of January.

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,612 of 7,334
Might be a dumb question, but has anyone tried using the Metrum Aurix amp to drive the LCD-2? I read most of the planar HPs from Audeze are power hungry in the extreme.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,614 of 7,334
Anyone have the LCD-2C on the Room headphone stand? I'd like to see pictures and whether the whole headband (depth) fits on the stand.

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,615 of 7,334
ops, while you are at it, wouldn't mind hearing a proper comparison between 2C and Focal Clear? if you don't mind

I have the Focal Clear and LCD2C with me for more than a week now, driven through my RME ADI-2 Pro DAC/Amp.

It was an initial tough choice between these two headphones (with LCD2C so easy to listen to for long hours and the Focal Clear so technically competent but mildly tiring for prolonged listening). However, things started to change after a week and the choice becomes easier:
  • Initially, if I could only own one of them, I would pick LCD2C over the Focal Clear. Why? Because while the Focal Clear would kick the ass out of the LCD2C, I could not get past 10-15 mins without slight listening fatigue. There is simply too much of a good thing.
  • Switching from the Focal Clear to the LCD2C felt like a drop in a grade or two in the sound quality but I could listen to it for long hours.
  • I was on the verge of sending of the Focal Clear back because it didn't make sense to own something that I can't really 'use'.
  • I stuck on with them for a week and after 100+ hours of burn-in, things started to change - Focal Clear becomes easier to listen to (the top end has smoothened out quite a bit). Skeptics might argue that its brain burn-in but, whatever, you get my point.
  • Now, I would find myself always reaching for the Focal Clear for any music I listen to. I could not move past the fact on how the LCD2C sounded so restrained dynamically beside the Focal Clear, not to mention its inability to portray the same level of details and realism as the Focal Clear.
Below are my personal impressions of the headphones:

LCD2C

Strength:
  • Sumptuous bass
  • Easy listening for long hours
  • Comfortable to wear
  • Cheap at US$599 - I am talking about relative sense here for a headphone that used to cost close to a grand and in a world with many headphones costing over a grand.
Weakness:
  • Sorely lacking in dynamics making music sounded boring/unexciting. Yes, I could listen to it for long hours, but I really get bored by it that I do not want to listen to it that long.
  • It cannot handle complex passages well (instruments/vocals get drown/muddied out)
  • Rolled off treble makes it harder to perceive details in the top end
  • Shines only when listening to at loud volume, which is not good for the ears
Focal Clear

Strength:
  • Extremely balanced sounding and excellent tonality across the board. Usually a balanced sound signature means the jack of all trade and the master of none. But the Focal Clear is the master of many because everything sounded so good from it
  • Extremely dynamic sounding
  • Extremely technically competent
  • Comfortable to wear
Weakness:
  • Those looking for coloured sounding headphones have to look elsewhere (e.g. the Audeze warm house sound, the Audio Technica unmatched reproduction of female vocals)
  • Not for those looking for a warmer sounding headphones
  • Bass not as thunderous as LCD2C (we are talking about one of the best headphone in bass reproduction here). It is very impactful nevertheless.
  • Light grey/silver colour - some people (like me) would have preferred an all-black headphone. But it is rather beautiful to behold still.
  • Not the most pocket friendly headphone at US$1,499

Afternote: The headphone I enjoyed the most till date is still a well-driven HE1000. But I am unwilling to spend that much money to get a TOTL tube amp. The Focal Clear gives me a different kind of sound, but its something that I could live with

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #1,616 of 7,334

yah. resale value would be good if audeze ends its holiday pricing. I expect some lcd2c will be up on sale around $600 after the holiday price ends.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,617 of 7,334
I have the Focal Clear and LCD2C with me for more than a week now, driven through my RME ADI-2 Pro DAC/Amp.

It was an initial tough choice between these two headphones (with LCD2C so easy to listen to for long hours and the Focal Clear so technically competent but mildly tiring for prolonged listening). However, things started to change after a week and the choice becomes easier:
  • Initially, if I could only own one of them, I would pick LCD2C over the Focal Clear. Why? Because while the Focal Clear would kick the ass out of the LCD2C, I could not get past 10-15 mins without slight listening fatigue. There is simply too much of a good thing.
  • Switching from the Focal Clear to the LCD2C felt like a drop in a grade or two in the sound quality but I could listen to it for long hours.
  • I was on the verge of sending of the Focal Clear back because it didn't make sense to own something that I can't really 'use'.
  • I stuck on with them for a week and after 100+ hours of burn-in, things started to change - Focal Clear becomes easier to listen to (the top end has smoothened out quite a bit). Skeptics might argue that its brain burn-in but, whatever, you get my point.
  • Now, I would find myself always reaching for the Focal Clear for any music I listen to. I could not move past the fact on how the LCD2C sounded so restrained dynamically beside the Focal Clear, not to mention its inability to portray the same level of details and realism as the Focal Clear.
Below are my personal impressions of the headphones:

LCD2C

Strength:
  • Sumptuous bass
  • Easy listening for long hours
  • Comfortable to wear
  • Cheap at US$599 - I am talking about relative sense here for a headphone that used to cost close to a grand and in a world with many headphones costing over a grand.
Weakness:
  • Sorely lacking in dynamics making music sounded boring/unexciting. Yes, I could listen to it for long hours, but I really get bored by it that I do not want to listen to it that long.
  • It cannot handle complex passages well (instruments/vocals get drown/muddied out)
  • Rolled off treble makes it harder to perceive details in the top end
  • Shines only when listening to at loud volume, which is not good for the ears
Focal Clear

Strength:
  • Extremely balanced sounding and excellent tonality across the board. Usually a balanced sound signature means the jack of all trade and the master of none. But the Focal Clear is the master of many because everything sounded so good from it
  • Extremely dynamic sounding
  • Extremely technically competent
  • Comfortable to wear
Weakness:
  • Those looking for coloured sounding headphones have to look elsewhere (e.g. the Audeze warm house sound, the Audio Technica unmatched reproduction of female vocals)
  • Not for those looking for a warmer sounding headphones
  • Bass not as thunderous as LCD2C (we are talking about one of the best headphone in bass reproduction here). It is very impactful nevertheless.
  • Light grey/silver colour - some people (like me) would have preferred an all-black headphone. But it is rather beautiful to behold still.
  • Not the most pocket friendly headphone at US$1,499

Afternote: The headphone I enjoyed the most till date is still a well-driven HE1000. But I am unwilling to spend that much money to get a TOTL tube amp. The Focal Clear gives me a different kind of sound, but its something that I could live with
I listened to a he1000 and my lcd2c for 3 hours a/Bing through a hugo2 and I preferred my lcd2c im not so sure what dynamics you find lacking in the lcd2c, i can't say anything about focal headphones but i find macro dynamics and even micro dynamics to be far superior to my AFO. Ive had my lcd2c for 3 weeks and i sensed a kinda veil sound too mainly with female vocals but a few days ago I revisited the same song i originally heard the veil and I didn't hear it anymore it was about 2 week's since i heard the song on my lcd2c so there could be a brain burn in or just burn in period. But i mostly listen to prog rock or rock in general... Hip hop jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back