Audeze LCD-24 LIMITED EDITION - now including impressions and comparisons
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #31 of 153
Any more impressions on these? Metal571 didn't have too many good things to say about the LCD 24 on his livestream broadcast yesterday.

I've had a lot more time with the headphones, so I'll post a follow-up soon. If my main use case was listening to metal (which is Metal571's bag), I wouldn't recommend these - I'd recommend a pair of ABYSS AB-1266 PHI TC 's, which will bass your brain into another dimension. The main "improvement" I heard in the 24's was the improvement in mid and upper detail. Given the reduction in bass compared to the 4's, I'm surprised he had anything good to say about them.

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #32 of 153
The article below has a bit of an explanation and has a diagram showing the structures.
There is only 60 grams difference between the 4z and the 24 which is a more fair comparison since only the magnets differ(?).
Interesting also, the 4z is more sensitive than the 24 (98 to 96dB/mW) but the 24 reportedly works better with DAPs.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphone-drivers-work

Headphone101_PlanarMagneticDrivers_Diagram_OtherDriverCircuits.jpg

Edit: Also this for the LCD4.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/technologically-impressive-lcd-4-planar-magnetic-headphone

I haven't used my 24's yet with any of my DAP's. I'll give them a listen over the weekend. I have an Ibasso 220 (with a couple of AMP's), a Shanling M0, and a Pono player (yes... kickstarter edition!). I mainly use IEM's with my DAP's.

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #33 of 153
I've had a lot more time with the headphones, so I'll post a follow-up soon. If my main use case was listening to metal (which is Metal571's bag), I wouldn't recommend these - I'd recommend a pair of ABYSS AB-1266 PHI TC 's, which will bass your brain into another dimension. The main "improvement" I heard in the 24's was the improvement in mid and upper detail. Given the reduction in bass compared to the 4's, I'm surprised he had anything good to say about them.
Well actually Metal571 had nothing good to say about the 24, he called them bright. He also gave a look of pain when briefly describing the sound. I think the whole point was to keep what made the 4/4z great......the bass, yet add that extra detail and soundstage improvement, but it seems that's not what they did to the 24.

I agree the 1266 is on another sonic level, but it's also on another price level too. The 4/4z can be had for good deals the 1266 for the most part cannot, which creates a big price gap to consider.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #34 of 153
Well actually Metal571 had nothing good to say about the 24, he called them bright. He also gave a look of pain when briefly describing the sound. I think the whole point was to keep what made the 4/4z great......the bass, yet add that extra detail and soundstage improvement, but it seems that's not what they did to the 24.

I agree the 1266 is on another sonic level, but it's also on another price level too. The 4/4z can be had for good deals the 1266 for the most part cannot, which creates a big price gap to consider.
id agree with metal

i have done substantial A/B with susvara vs LCD 24... Susvara destroys them in every way possible.

however quite sure I will be selling my brand new Susvara in the coming weeks. $3700.

anyone interested DM me to get 1st in line.

they are great... but I really think I enjoy the Bass response of the 4Z. Going to test an LCD 4. If they work the Susvara are gone.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #35 of 153
id agree with metal

i have done substantial A/B with susvara vs LCD 24... Susvara destroys them in every way possible.

however quite sure I will be selling my brand new Susvara in the coming weeks. $3700.

anyone interested DM me to get 1st in line.

they are great... but I really think I enjoy the Bass response of the 4Z. Going to test an LCD 4. If they work the Susvara are gone.
Destroy it how? If the treble and mids are better on the 24, but the bass isn't. Why doesn't it sound better than the 4z other than bass response?

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #36 of 153
Destroy it how? If the treble and mids are better on the 24, but the bass isn't. Why doesn't it sound better than the 4z other than bass response?
treble, mids, bass, resolution separation all far superior on susvara vs LCD 24.

everything superior to 4Z as well EXCEPT BASS response. On the TT2 at least... the BASS response of the 4Z makes for a much more fun/organic listening experience to my ears.... some/many may prefer susvara... believe me they are great... i hear things with them unlike i have with other headphones.... like lifting a veil.

Sep 30, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #38 of 153
I think Audeze needs a refreshment of their sound signature and the impressions of alexzogh have increased my interest in the lcd24. They´ve reduced the weight and opened in terms of sound quality obviously the "sun roof". Longterm listening was never a problem with a lcd headphone but therefore transparancy have lost. Hifiman and the Empyrean are better in this regards.
Otherwise a darker sound signature is more suitable for rock and metal. Honestly the description of alexzogh´s comparison to the He1000 sounds to me very inviting. Especially the bass of lcd24 destroys he1000. After this first impressions nobody has to worry about the bass in lcd24.

As I´ve said the only headphones metal571 likes, is his f hd800s and 660s which he had eq`d as hell.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #39 of 153
Actually, I am starting to feel disappointed in what I am hearing about the 24. I am wondering was this headphone supposed to improve on sound of the 4/4z or just have a different sound signature altogether?

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #40 of 153
I think Audeze needs a refreshment of their sound signature and the impressions of alexzogh have increased my interest in the lcd24. They´ve reduced the weight and opened in terms of sound quality obviously the "sun roof". Longterm listening was never a problem with a lcd headphone but therefore transparancy have lost. Hifiman and the Empyrean are better in this regards.
Otherwise a darker sound signature is more suitable for rock and metal. Honestly the description of alexzogh´s comparison to the He1000 sounds to me very inviting. Especially the bass of lcd24 destroys he1000. After this first impressions nobody has to worry about the bass in lcd24.

As I´ve said the only headphones metal571 likes, is his f hd800s and 660s which he had eq`d as hell.

I just watched meta571's latest Q&A #12, he currently has the 4, 4z, and 24.
He said his fave of all headphones he has ever heard is the 4 (eq'd) and that he probably won't do a review of the 4z or 24 as he doesn't like them.

I had a 2014 LCD3F which was magical and the drivers were changed in 2017 due to an imbalance.
That version was weird in the treble, it sounded like it had all the sizzle but none of the steak.
It is such a fine line between magic and what the f in this game sometimes.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #41 of 153
He said his fave of all headphones he has ever heard is the 4 (eq'd) and that he probably won't do a review of the 4z or 24 as he doesn't like them.

I had a 2014 LCD3F which was magical and the drivers were changed in 2017 due to an imbalance.
That version was weird in the treble, it sounded like it had all the sizzle but none of the steak.
I agree that the LCD3F has kind of a weird treble. I couldn't really put my finger on it due to a relatively short audition, it just didn't sound right.

I like the LCD2F but I found the LCD2C more entertaining with more enjoyable bass.

I also like the LCD4 but overall I prefer the Empy's better balance. I would still love to try the LCD24 one day.

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #42 of 153

I have gone back and forth with Metal about the 4 and 4z. I do not think they are that far apart in sound......again unit to unit Audeze variances. Honestly if all Audeze had was the 4 I would totally pass. It suffers from the 3 H’s.......Hard to drive, Heavy to wear and Hard to get rid of if you want to sell it.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #43 of 153
I have gone back and forth with Metal about the 4 and 4z. I do not think they are that far apart in sound......again unit to unit Audeze variances. Honestly if all Audeze had was the 4 I would totally pass. It suffers from the 3 H’s.......Hard to drive, Heavy to wear and Hard to get rid of if you want to sell it.

I have had the 4 for more than 2 years now, I have only demoed the 4z briefly.
I didn't think there was a big difference either, for me it was more in the sound stage, the 4 is more 3D/holographic.
You need to find something that works for you what ever that may be, some things just click and some things don't.
Even the HE1 has some weird things about its sound that I am sure would bug me over time.
Yes the 4 is very heavy, and having a headband where the CF sometimes sits on your head doesn't help.
I really like the sound so have had to learn to live with it.

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #44 of 153
I have had the 4 for more than 2 years now, I have only demoed the 4z briefly.
I didn't think there was a big difference either, for me it was more in the sound stage, the 4 is more 3D/holographic.
You need to find something that works for you what ever that may be, some things just click and some things don't.
Even the HE1 has some weird things about its sound that I am sure would bug me over time.
Yes the 4 is very heavy, and having a headband where the CF sometimes sits on your head doesn't help.
I really like the sound so have had to learn to live with it.
I think that cool you enjoy the 4. I actually do to. It’s just that ultimately I know for me there is no need to own them as I would probably not listen to them as much as other cans. Because of the weight I would tend to listen to them less and less, like what happened to my LCD X, until I hardly listed to them at all. I noticed the same thing on my LCD 2 Closed. Big and bulky although I do like the sound.

Now as far as the 24 is concerned, I would implore Audeze to keep what’s good about the 4/4z, add a little more air and more even tonal balance. They could possibly beat Meze at their own game.

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #45 of 153
... add a little more air and more even tonal balance. They could possibly beat Meze at their own game.
I agree those are the only things missing from the LCD4. They are actually slightly better in bass and micro detail compared to the Empyrean but the more air and better tonal balance makes me lean towards the Meze. (Not to mention weight, comfort and price as an overall package.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back