Audeze LCD-2 TOO HEAVY
Jul 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

asgiov

100+ Head-Fier
I've had these for almost a month now... Got them July 12th. (Yes, that is me wearing them in my profile pic)
I have an annoying ache in the back of my neck... I am a healthy 27 year old male.... don't usually have these problems. 
I love the sound, but I think I need to sell these off... very sad. 

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else had this problem? Does it go away after some time?
I just can't see it being healthy for my neck... 

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 40
Bro, do you even lift?

Just kidding lol... LCD-2s are some of the heaviest headphones out there. I hope you knew that when you bought them. Have you been wearing them daily? If it doesn't get any better and are still bothering you, I would suggest selling them.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 40
They are indeed heavy and for many it takes some time getting used to... but for others it becomes too much of a nuisance. They aren't really any ways to get them to be noticeably lighter or anything so it's just something you'll have to try out and see for a good period of time. Most people's neck muscles do eventually strengthen up enough to be able to deal with it I find.

I personally always notice them on my head but with the foam headband and well-worn pads, don't find them to be uncomfortable at all for 1-2 hr listening sessions, and I'm the type that is typically very anal with headphone comfort.  As for the neck/back problems, since these are so heavy it helps to keep a proper posture throughout your listening... laying back on your couch or recliner with your legs stretched, for example, may put extra pressure on your spine and neck and that may be the pain you are experiencing.  I experienced it early on for a bit when I listened to it that way... now I just sit down with proper straight posture and I don't experience any neck or back pains for 1-2 hour listening sessions. Casual light stretching of your neck and back before and afterwards helps as well.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 40
I just looked up some videos on neck stretches and they really do help ease the tension... and pain... 
And you're right about posture.. I have terrible posture from sitting on the computer too long as is... 
I do find they are easier to deal with when standing... 

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 40
This could easily be a classic case of faulty causation...neck/back pain can be caused from so many variables it is hard if not impossible to attribute the cause to one thing (at least without a medical diagnosis and even then unless it is clearly something like a slipped disc or tumor it is hard/impossible to pin it down medically). So just because A coincides with B it does not mean that A is the cause of B: correlation does not equal causation. Thus, just give it time is what I'd do and good luck!

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:
This could easily be a classic case of faulty causation...neck/back pain can be caused from so many variables it is hard if not impossible to attribute the cause to one thing (at least without a medical diagnosis and even then unless it is clearly something like a slipped disc or tumor it is hard/impossible to pin it down medically). So just because A coincides with B it does not mean that A is the cause of B: correlation does not equal causation. Thus, just give it time is what I'd do and good luck!

You're right on that. And I've thought of this too. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 40
I have the Bamboo version so maybe that weight a lot lot less, but I've never had a weight issue with Audeze or Hifiman cans at all. The only problem I have is a pinching pain at the very top of my head from the LCD2, so I put a bit more padding up on top and no problem since.

Maybe listening with your head rested against a small pillow or reclining might take the burden away. My mother is 4'11 and about 105lbs and finds the LCD2 quite comfy with a pillow behind her head in a large office chair.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 40
I have the Grado PS1000 wich are also quite heavy, and i too got some mild discomfort at first, but after about a month or so, everything was fine, so if you like your LCD2, you should stick with them. If you don't have a medical problem, i'm sure that you'll get used to them.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:
I've had these for almost a month now... Got them July 12th. (Yes, that is me wearing them in my profile pic)
I have an annoying ache in the back of my neck... I am a healthy 27 year old male.... don't usually have these problems. 
I love the sound, but I think I need to sell these off... very sad. 

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else had this problem? Does it go away after some time?
I just can't see it being healthy for my neck... 

Heya,

I found them uncomfortable as well. It will go away over time as your neck develops those tiny, tiny muscles that it's using for support. But during that `training' time, you'll get aches, headaches, and all kinds of annoying pains. I found a lot of the weight was actually just from having the cups unbalanced in terms of being centered on the head, and the weight of the cables. My primary is the HE500 which is also a heavy headphone, but I got a lighter custom cable and the overall chassis and cup profile is smaller and I have zero issues with the weight.

Very best,

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 40
My problem is not that they're heavy but that the way the weight is distributed is terrible.

The entire time theyre on im fully aware that theyre on because im never truly 100% comfortable, all the weight is on my ears and side of head but feel nothing on top through the band.

I would almost welcome MORE weight on top of the headphones just so that i can feel like everything is even.

I've never gotten neck problems tho, lol dont even see how that's a thing.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 40
I don't own one but I'm wondering if it's your neck posture that's the main cause of your neck pain. Do you lean your head forward when you sit in front of your computer? If you poke your head forward like the when looking at the computer screen for a long period of time, it can increase the strain on the back of your neck and shoulders.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:
My problem is not that they're heavy but that the way the weight is distributed is terrible.

The entire time theyre on im fully aware that theyre on because im never truly 100% comfortable, all the weight is on my ears and side of head but feel nothing on top through the band.

I would almost welcome MORE weight on top of the headphones just so that i can feel like everything is even.

I've never gotten neck problems tho, lol dont even see how that's a thing.

Which headband do you have? I've got the foam headband and I find all  the weight mostly on the top of the head. 
But even then, I also do feel the weight isn't very well distributed. Like in a normal seating position... you head wants to drop forward from the weight.
I've experimented on how to get a better center gravity with them.. and it's all in the earcups... only way to do it is to move them towards the back of your head.. way off your ears.... then it feels okay... so i dunno.. maybe if they add a few grams to the back side of the earcups.. it would help in future versions. 

Quote:
I don't own one but I'm wondering if it's your neck posture that's the main cause of your neck pain. Do you lean your head forward when you sit in front of your computer? If you poke your head forward like the when looking at the computer screen for a long period of time, it can increase the strain on the back of your neck and shoulders.

Yeah... I have a tendency to do that sometimes. I've been trying to correct the habit... and i take regular breaks and step outside. I think it's a case of heavy headphones exacerbating a problem I already had. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Heya,

I found them uncomfortable as well. It will go away over time as your neck develops those tiny, tiny muscles that it's using for support. But during that `training' time, you'll get aches, headaches, and all kinds of annoying pains. I found a lot of the weight was actually just from having the cups unbalanced in terms of being centered on the head, and the weight of the cables. My primary is the HE500 which is also a heavy headphone, but I got a lighter custom cable and the overall chassis and cup profile is smaller and I have zero issues with the weight.

Very best,

yeah.. the cable mine came with are custom too.. since i got them used.. but it is annoyingly thick and heavy... and not very flexible. But okay, I'll stick with them for a while and hopefully my back neck muscles will get beefy enough... Lol 

Quote:
I have the Grado PS1000 wich are also quite heavy, and i too got some mild discomfort at first, but after about a month or so, everything was fine, so if you like your LCD2, you should stick with them. If you don't have a medical problem, i'm sure that you'll get used to them.

I don't have medical problems... So I'll try and stick with it. It sucks though... You feel like you found the perfect headphone... then there is always this one annoying problem... =(

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 40
Which headband do you have? I've got the foam headband and I find all  the weight mostly on the top of the head. 
But even then, I also do feel the weight isn't very well distributed. Like in a normal seating position... you head wants to drop forward from the weight.
I've experimented on how to get a better center gravity with them.. and it's all in the earcups... only way to do it is to move them towards the back of your head.. way off your ears.... then it feels okay... so i dunno.. maybe if they add a few grams to the back side of the earcups.. it would help in future versions. 

Yeah... I have a tendency to do that sometimes. I've been trying to correct the habit... and i take regular breaks and step outside. I think it's a case of heavy headphones exacerbating a problem I already had. 

I have the leather band and bamboo lcd2's, also have a custom cable thats pretty thick and doesn't flex much which probably doesn't help much.

To add to what I said earlier and what ome people are beginning to echo in this thread, i usually sit in a recliner when i listen to music or if on my computer then im leaning forward on my hand pressed against my cheek or sitting back in the chair. I've never gotten any weight issues this way, so its possible the issues you are experiencing come down to posture. Try it sitting back for a while and see if that helps.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 40
I was almost put off the LCD-2 by the comfort issues a lot of users report. I'm happy to say that I find them extremely comfortable.

Really uncomfortable for me was the Grado SR325.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back