Audeze LCD-2 Source discussion.
Aug 2, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #166 of 183
I like the LCD-2 with a balanced cable on the Audio-GD NFB-10es.  The NFB-10ES adds a little sparkle to the LCD-2 which I like, while maintaining very high resolution, bass control, etc.

Oh wait, the NFB-10es is a DAC/AMP not a dedicated source.  And besides that, I think the Sabre version has been discontinued / suspended.

So, it sounds good, but never mind.  
cool.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #167 of 183

Quote:
I must of misunderstood the ordering section I was looking at it had a box to check to add USB for $500

The USB feature is optional on the Red Wine Audio Isabellina. I had the non-USb configuration in the stand-alone DAC for a while before including it during it's upgrade to Isabellina HPA status.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #168 of 183
Hi guys

I really could do with some advice. I have a meier audio concerto currently and intend to purchase a lcd-2 soon. I was wondering if there is a relatively cheap (about 500) DAC that i should get? Or can i run it off the ipod/computer and use my rsa predator as a DAC?

Thank you!

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #169 of 183
Hello,

My system consists of "foobar with wasabi (nowadays hd track stuff) > stello da100 via optical input > schiit lyr > lcd-2". Even tough the sound can be classified as good to great and it is definitely the best system I have ever built, it is not up there yet. 

I would like to change something to get more transparency and detail. I probably would like to make my music sound little bit more sterile, definitely not warmer. Any recommendations for a replacement dac? Thanks in advance....

EDIT: I prefer to get a dac which naturally accepts 24bit/192hz data without upsampling (i.e. input = output).

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #170 of 183
Hello,

My system is consists of "foobar with wasabi (nowadays hd track stuff) > stello da100 via optical input > schiit lyr > lcd-2". Even tough the sound can be classified as good to great and it is definitely the best system I have ever built, it is not up there yet. 

I would like to change something to get more transparency and detail. I probably would like to make my music sound little bit more sterile, definitely not warmer. Any recommendations for a replacement dac? Thanks in advance....

EDIT: I prefer to get a dac which naturally accepts 24bit/192hz data without upsampling (i.e. input = output).

It's not available yet as it sold out so fast and now they're revising it for 192 USB, but the Anedio D1 is considered a very transparent and accurate DAC. Here is the review that sold me and a whole bunch of people on it: link

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #171 of 183

Quote:
Hello,

My system consists of "foobar with wasabi (nowadays hd track stuff) > stello da100 via optical input > schiit lyr > lcd-2". Even tough the sound can be classified as good to great and it is definitely the best system I have ever built, it is not up there yet. 

I think the best option for you is not a source upgrade, but an amp sidegrade...to an all solid state amp.  I like tube amps heaps and cannot do without one, but I "think" all tubes no matter how well implemented, as a buffer or as an output device will impact noticeably on the LCD2s transparency and detail retrieval. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #172 of 183
For some reason, tube amplifiers (the non-hybrid designs at least) seems to fare very poorly with this particular headphone. The other day I took a listen to a friend's WooAudio WA5 and it doesn't really do the LCD2 justice. Same reason with the Eddie Current Zana Deux and the lower-end WA6. The hybrid designs such as the Schiit Lyr, Cavalli EHHA and Apex Peak/Volcano seem to do pretty OK though. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #173 of 183
For sure IMO the majority of OTL tube amps will not cut it.  But the three transformer-coupled tube amps I use, the Leben CS-300, the Decware Mini-Torii, and the Trafomatic Head One all do very well.  But the key is the transformer-coupling IMO.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #174 of 183
Hi Skylab since you are the biggest fan of tube amps I know around here, the Balancing Act is a transformer-coupled design am I correct? What do you think of that pairing with the LCD2? 

The Zana Deux has an awesome sound tough with the HD800 and T1, probably my favorite tube amplifier so far. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #175 of 183

Quote:
Hi Skylab since you are the biggest fan of tube amps I know around here, the Balancing Act is a transformer-coupled design am I correct? What do you think of that pairing with the LCD2? 

The Zana Deux has an awesome sound tough with the HD800 and T1, probably my favorite tube amplifier so far. 

I wish I could say I had heard either of those with the LCD-2, but unfortunately, I have not.  Pity.  I love my Eddie Current phono preamp, but have not ever sprung for any of his amps, which have sounded great to me at shows, but I have stayed away from them due to both the cost and the physical size.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #176 of 183
many thanks permagrin and spwild!

I purchased a pair of lorentz stuttgart pcc88 & will also try my Amperex 6922 PQ white label tubes on the Lyr...

And, just for the curiosity (thanks to sp wild and skylab!) I am planning to purchase a Kenwood KR-5150 or Kenwood KA-7100 vintage receiver just to check the solid state goodness! Here in Turkey vintage receivers are really hard to find and very expensive compared to US. I'll report back :) 

EDIT: I "remembered" my boss' system (upstairs)... hmm... checked the make/model of his system - Marantz 2275 receiver + Marantz 4140 amp + Marantz HD-88 speakers... Yummy... will try stello with 2275 and lcd2..

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #177 of 183
The 2275 is an outstanding receiver.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #178 of 183

Quote:
The 2275 is an outstanding receiver.

what can I say ... ur right my friend.

here is my short review for today :)

Gear: Foobar with wasabi > stello da100 via optical, bypass mode > marantz 2275 > audeze lcd-2 rev1 with stock cable.

Music: 
i. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov: The Snow Maiden - Dance of the Tumblers by Minnesota Orchestra / Eiji Oue - 24bit/96Khz
ii. Misery by Dave's True Story - 24bit/96Khz
iii. Big Bad Girl by Harry 'Big Daddy' Hypolite - 24bit/96Khz
iv. Lucia by Marta Gomez - 24bit/96Khz
v. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Violin Concerto in G major (KV 216) - Allegro by Marianne Thorsen / TrondheimSolistene - 24bit/96Khz
vi. Money by Pink Floyd - 24bit/96Khz
vii. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana - 24bit/96Khz
viii. Eulogy by Tool - 24bit/96Khz
ix. Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (first 4 minutes) - 24bit/96Khz

I continuously turned the volume down! It drives lcd2's with authority baby... 

This is exactly the transparency and detail I am after. Also, soundstage is wider - almost hologramic (made up this word) and the treble knob on the 2275 is just great.

2 quick points:
--- This is probably either I am not used to it or the difference between tube/solid state that I got little bit fatique after this short listening session with the 2275. On the other hand, with lyr I can go 1.5 hours straight.
--- Lyr's bass response is better for my taste. Somehow, with Marantz bass sounded with lesser extension compared to Lyr. Perhaps this is again due to tube-ss difference by design - I don't know.

After a short day and with very limited listening exp:
For classical music I definitely prefer the 2275. Violins and piano are just unbelievable...
For jazz I think I prefer lyr.
For rock it's a toss up I believe -  based on your taste. But I prefer Lyr for its bass response.

One final note, with Marantz, bass-mid-treble balance and distribution is so good.
Now, for some tracks I am biased and want more bass or more detail. Overall, I believe the sound is top notch with Marantz and more intimate with Lyr...

Cheers!

PS: now I want one :frowning2:

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #179 of 183
More of an amp than a source commentary but nice impressions nonetheless Ooztuncer, thanks for sharing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back