Audeze LCD-2 Mods
Nov 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ETAHL

100+ Head-Fier
The LCD-2 has been out for awhile, yet I have not found anybody modding the sonics of the LCD-2. There are cable mods, headband mods, DIY LCD-2 stands and woody grills.
With the appearance of the LCD-2 Rev2 and the LCD-3, there are lots of LCD-2 Rev1 owners out there that would like to give its sonics a tweak.
Out of curiosity, I remove the grills and round felt pads of my LCD-2 Rev1. Super easy, by removing four screws on each side, and carefully lifting them out.
Without the grills, the sound spectrum is tilled a towards the treble side. The sound is less closed in, cleaner and don't have that slight reverb with the grills on. However, you do lose a bit of bass. Surprisingly, the LCD-2 is quite sensitive to the openness of the grills.
Without the grills and felt pad, the sound is a tad too bright for my taste. A more open grills, or different grill patten, and with the felt pad in place might just be the ticket.
o2smile.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
The LCD-2 has been out for awhile, yet I have not found anybody modding the sonics of the LCD-2. There are cable mods, headband mods, DIY LCD-2 stands and woody grills.
With the appearance of the LCD-2 Rev2 and the LCD-3, there are lots of LCD-2 Rev1 owners out there that would like to give its sonics a tweak.
Out of curiosity, I remove the grills and round felt pads of my LCD-2 Rev1. Super easy, by removing four screws on each side, and carefully lifting them out.
Without the grills, the sound spectrum is tilled a towards the treble side. The sound is less closed in, cleaner and don't have that slight reverb with the grills on. However, you do lose a bit of bass. Surprisingly, the LCD-2 is quite sensitive to the openness of the grills.
Without the grills and felt pad, the sound is a tad too bright for my taste. A more open grills, or different grill patten, and with the felt pad in place might just be the ticket.
o2smile.gif

I have LCD-2 R2, and I feel just replacing the original round felt pad with thinner and little smaller circular one makes LCD-2 sound more open. This does not spoil the original character of LCD2 much, but adds more airy atmosphere. I like this feeling very much. I still hear 20hz well with thinner felt pad. But someone might dislike 'less-closed-in' sound of LCD-2.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Is it possible to change out the inside wires, with say, pure silver wires?

I'm thinking about doing that (if possible), to improve the higher end (treble) of these headphones.
I know that i would have to de-solder it from it's joints.

Tim

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Is it possible to change out the inside wires, with say, pure silver wires?

I'm thinking about doing that (if possible), to improve the higher end (treble) of these headphones.
I know that i would have to de-solder it from it's joints.

Tim

From what I saw, it looks like it would be quite simple to someone with soldering experience.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 8
Without the grills and felt pad, the sound is a tad too bright for my taste. A more open grills, or different grill patten, and with the felt pad in place might just be the ticket. :o2smile:
Hi i am wondering what material you used instead of the felt pad? :) i want to mod mine too.

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 8
Has anyone here ever refinished the wood cups on their LCD-2s? I've been thinking about sanding down the cups, applying a new stain, then applying a coat of polyurethane semi gloss on top. Just wondering what everyone thinks of the idea; I'm aiming to remove some scratches, as well as kind of personalize my cans.

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I wouldn't do it but I'm no woodworker. If you are why not? I guess a quick fix would be some good quality glaze and carnauba wax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back