Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Oct 18, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #136 of 883
I’ve been able to watch his review and also am scratching my head about not hearing bass thump. I hear plenty of slam with kick drums and bass. Maybe a difference of setup and/or ears. Though when he showed the ear pads, they looked a bit different then mine (don’t know if that’s an indicator of preproduction). Mine have the same outer dimensions, the inside diameter looks smaller on mine.

I would agree that vocals are a bit laid back (but not muted or muddy), and there are other headphones with better imaging. But with music, the soundstage is very immersive and wide for a closed headphone.
Yeah, I think the reviewer completely missed the boat about the XC's bass response. It's both deep and impactful to my ears.

The earpads are definitely not as plush as the ones that come on the XC's but I think that might be by design. To me the slight firmness helps block out external noises a little bit better than the XC's.

I don't mind the laid back nature of these headphones. To me it adds to the musical nature of the LCD-2CB's. When I turn up the volume on these the treble remains smooth and enjoyable. When I turned up the volume on the XC's, when I had them, they were sort of shouty. In that way, I find the LCD-2C's a better listen. You get everything that's good about the XC's, minus a little loss in imaging, but you gain a much more musical headphone that's more suitable for portable use. The XC's wooden cups, although gorgeous, are begging to scratched if taken outside. Not that I want anything to happen to my LCD-2CB's but I feel about taking outside than I did the XC's.

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #137 of 883
Yeah, I think the reviewer completely missed the boat about the XC's bass response. It's both deep and impactful to my ears.

The earpads are definitely not as plush as the ones that come on the XC's but I think that might be by design. To me the slight firmness helps block out external noises a little bit better than the XC's.

I don't mind the laid back nature of these headphones. To me it adds to the musical nature of the LCD-2CB's. When I turn up the volume on these the treble remains smooth and enjoyable. When I turned up the volume on the XC's, when I had them, they were sort of shouty. In that way, I find the LCD-2C's a better listen. You get everything that's good about the XC's, minus a little loss in imaging, but you gain a much more musical headphone that's more suitable for portable use. The XC's wooden cups, although gorgeous, are begging to scratched if taken outside. Not that I want anything to happen to my LCD-2CB's but I feel about taking outside than I did the XC's.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote here. I had the opportunity to try out both the 2CB and XC head to head for about for about an hour at a recent meet and there was very little difference. I thought the Frequency Response and the resolution and clarity was a wash. The XC has a bit of a wider soundstage and made most of the vocals a bit more distant (perhaps the shouty nature that you describe). The XC's were also a little more efficient where I had to increase the volume to match with the LCD2-CB.

The wooden cups on the XC are beautiful but as mentioned, the 2CB plastic cups are very durable and NOT cheap plastic. I've bumped them quite a few times in the month that I've had these and didn't even impart a scratch.

I was able to take advantage of the 20% discount that Audeze were offering a few months back (via the Amazon video presentation) so the price difference was a no-brainer (LCD-2CB for $720 vs. the XC for $1200 with the Creator special) but the regular $300 price disparity might be a harder decision if you value the wood cups (and plan to use mostly at home) and the wider soundstage.

If you are in no hurry to buy a Closed Back set of headphones I would recommend to try these and some other recently announced in the same price range (Focal Elegia, Massdrop Mr. Speakers Ether -same as original Either) and see if Audeze might offer a good Black Friday specials on their closed Headphones. Below is what they offered last year and the iSines weren't that old of a product at the time unlike the EL's which they discontinued and were trying to unload. BTW, I did purchase the SINE and it also a great portable if you can find it for a price like below.

Audeze Black Friday Sale!

LCD4 Ebony B-Stock $2,499.00
LCD3 B-Stock $1,199.00
EL8 Titainum Refurbished $199.00
EL8 Open Refurbished $199.00
SINE with Standard Cable Refurbished $179.00 (Lightning Cable +$20)
iSINE20 with Standard Cable Refurbished $249.00 (Lightning Cable +$20)
iSINE10 with Standard Cable Refurbished $199.00 (Lightning Cable +$20)

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #138 of 883
I've had these for 8 days now. Enjoyed them from the beginning, but now I am detecting an added rich quality to the sound. Listening to them through the Loki as of today -- what an experience, personally. I just dial down the treble one bit when a particular song calls for it, maybe one small nudge up on the bass, and the sound is so good that I am in danger of taking it louder and louder. The hardware EQ feels more natural than the software one.

Without EQ my comments above stand, but not for all songs as there is some brightness coming through that I am not used to after listening to the MX4.

This is at home through the Schiit stack. At work I tried them directly from the iPhone, obviously lower volume, and I didn't feel the need for EQ in that setting / at that volume.

IMG_62472.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #140 of 883
I've had these for 8 days now. Enjoyed them from the beginning, but now I am detecting an added rich quality to the sound. Listening to them through the Loki as of today -- what an experience, personally. I just dial down the treble one bit when a particular song calls for it, maybe one small nudge up on the bass, and the sound is so good that I am in danger of taking it louder and louder. The hardware EQ feels more natural than the software one.

Without EQ my comments above stand, but not for all songs as there is some brightness coming through that I am not used to after listening to the MX4.

This is at home through the Schiit stack. At work I tried them directly from the iPhone, obviously lower volume, and I didn't feel the need for EQ in that setting / at that volume.

I want to get a Loki to use with my Gilmore Lite Mk2. I like being able to tweak the sound.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #141 of 883
The wooden cups on the XC are beautiful but as mentioned, the 2CB plastic cups are very durable and NOT cheap plastic. I've bumped them quite a few times in the month that I've had these and didn't even impart a scratch.

The LCD2CB cups don't feel like they're any kind of composite: they seem to be metal. Reviews say that the closed backs are over 100 grams more then the LCD2 classics My Aeon closed backs are supposed to be made of carbon, and they have more of a plastic feel. The Aeons also have metal frames around the hinges/driver mounts...and the backs of the 2CBs seem to be similar metal as those. Yes, these are heavy, but also very durable (guess the only weak link is occasionally replacing ear pads...but these are so thick, that can't be too often).

RE: how laid back these headphones are...well it is interesting to hear the synergy with a given headphone and system. Awhile ago, I invested in a high end headphone system (a "neutral" high end DAC and tube amp that has transparency and tube rolling potential). I'm actually surprised that my latest acquisition, SMSL DP3 (very good music streamer I have going to my Benchmark), has the warmest and most muddy sounding headphone stage. If I need to analyze something, then plugging directly into the Benchmark gives me an un-distorted approximation. My choice in tube with my headphone amp can give me something that's a bit rolled off in treble or more extension and soundstage. With my recent planar headphone acquisitions, I've found my favorite tubes are vintage Tung Sol (I also bought a new Russian badge Tung Sol, which is good, but is still a bit more focused in mids compared to the vintage). I even went ahead and got a sought after GT version (instead of the more common, later GTB), and found that it has more extension and some less coarseness in the mids. This is all suffice it to say that with my setup, I can see why folks say the LCD2CB has laid back vocals, but I do find there's still energy with them. They do have upper treble extension. I've heard that people refer to Audeze having a veil, which reminds me of the Sennheiser veil. IMO, for some folks, a veil may be more present just because of how varied our ear anatomy is. But also, I think these brands have tried attenuating certain frequencies to sound more lively. Maybe the main fault I can see with the LCD2CB with my setup is the imaging. While I think that tonally these are great headphones that also deliver plenty of slam, the imaging seems diffuse with a large sound stage. I don't think this is a bad thing for music: it seems it's around you. With the Aeons, they seem centered with imaging: I've had a few tracks where I've actually jumped out of my seat because I thought someone was yelling at me.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #142 of 883
The LCD2CB cups don't feel like they're any kind of composite: they seem to be metal. Reviews say that the closed backs are over 100 grams more then the LCD2 classics My Aeon closed backs are supposed to be made of carbon, and they have more of a plastic feel. The Aeons also have metal frames around the hinges/driver mounts...and the backs of the 2CBs seem to be similar metal as those. Yes, these are heavy, but also very durable (guess the only weak link is occasionally replacing ear pads...but these are so thick, that can't be too often).

They do seem like a black matte aluminum or metal but they are definitely composite. There was an Audeze Rep at the meet when I auditioned them and he confirmed they were composite. There is also an interview somewhere (InnerFidelity, maybe) with Sankar, CEO of Audeze who mentioned the composite absorbs sound differently than the wood cups on the XC. The 2CB is also lighter but it was hard to noice much of a difference in my comparison.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #143 of 883
They do seem like a black matte aluminum or metal but they are definitely composite. There was an Audeze Rep at the meet when I auditioned them and he confirmed they were composite. There is also an interview somewhere (InnerFidelity, maybe) with Sankar, CEO of Audeze who mentioned the composite absorbs sound differently than the wood cups on the XC. The 2CB is also lighter but it was hard to noice much of a difference in my comparison.

I'm also into photography and have held composite camera bodies vs magnesium alloy ones, as well as aluminum vs carbon fiber tripods...I've never felt a composite material that seems like metal before....so kudos if that is the case now. Though if there is a queue from camera bodies, there's another option of the inner part being composite with a metal alloy being on the outside. I just assumed everything is metal also because of the weight...which is another impression I've seen about the headphone (IE, if it's too heavy).

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #144 of 883
I'm also into photography and have held composite camera bodies vs magnesium alloy ones, as well as aluminum vs carbon fiber tripods...I've never felt a composite material that seems like metal before....so kudos if that is the case now. Though if there is a queue from camera bodies, there's another option of the inner part being composite with a metal alloy being on the outside. I just assumed everything is metal also because of the weight...which is another impression I've seen about the headphone (IE, if it's too heavy).

LOL. It’s supposed to be the second lightest in the LCD series after the LCD-2 classic. The LCD-4 is like a 5 lb weight on your head but it sounds magnificent. At least it doesn’t look like a medieval head squeezing torture device like the Abyss Phi.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #145 of 883
LOL. It’s supposed to be the second lightest in the LCD series after the LCD-2 classic. The LCD-4 is like a 5 lb weight on your head but it sounds magnificent. At least it doesn’t look like a medieval head squeezing torture device like the Abyss Phi.

Well then they failed :) I just weighed mine: 646g (100g heavier then the LCD-2c). Looking at the list of other Audezes, the LCD-XC and LCD-4 are heavier (695g LCD-4 being the heaviest). I personally don't have issue with the weight since it seems well distributed on my head, but other people do complain about the weight. I had an aunt listen (since she's a former opera singer and is into music). Her reaction was: "These sound magnificant, but God they're too heavy"...so she'd just listen to other tracks with Aeons.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #146 of 883
Hey everyone! I auditioned a few Focal and Audeze cans today and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the LCD2 closed backs. In my side-by-side comparison of the XC's and LCD2 cb's, I found the LCD2cb's to have fuller bass and extension as well as a more relaxed treble region. They were so smooth and enjoyable to listen to. Mids seemed natural and neither forward or recessed. The XC's verged on being somewhat shouty. The XC's seemed to have a marginally wider sound stage but it could have just been the increased energy in the treble region. However, I couldn't verify that the XC's were equipped with the latest drivers (old headband, cable, etc.). How are folks who own both the XC's and LC2cb's still getting on? Is it worth the extra cost of admission? I know, it's all subjective... just trying to get some more feedback and opinions.

I listen to a bit of everything, save country. Okay, Garth Brooks doesn't count. But, mainly, I listen to punk/post-hardcore, hip hop, indie rock, acoustic/americana/folk, classical, electronic/ambient, and some pop. I'd be driving the Audeze through the Grace m900, iFi iDSD BL, or perhaps even the JDS EL dac/amp.

Cheers and thanks!

P.S.
The LCD2cb's and XC's are the first planar headphones I've really enjoyed. I've historically been a biodynamic fan but these might sway me. And, to think, I went into the store with the hopes of sampling the Focal Elegia's. :\

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #147 of 883
Hey everyone! I auditioned a few Focal and Audeze cans today and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the LCD2 closed backs. In my side-by-side comparison of the XC's and LCD2 cb's, I found the LCD2cb's to have fuller bass and extension as well as a more relaxed treble region. They were so smooth and enjoyable to listen to. Mids seemed natural and neither forward or recessed. The XC's verged on being somewhat shouty. The XC's seemed to have a marginally wider sound stage but it could have just been the increased energy in the treble region. However, I couldn't verify that the XC's were equipped with the latest drivers (old headband, cable, etc.). How are folks who own both the XC's and LC2cb's still getting on? Is it worth the extra cost of admission? I know, it's all subjective... just trying to get some more feedback and opinions.

I listen to a bit of everything, save country. Okay, Garth Brooks doesn't count. But, mainly, I listen to punk/post-hardcore, hip hop, indie rock, acoustic/americana/folk, classical, electronic/ambient, and some pop. I'd be driving the Audeze through the Grace m900, iFi iDSD BL, or perhaps even the JDS EL dac/amp.

Cheers and thanks!

P.S.
The LCD2cb's and XC's are the first planar headphones I've really enjoyed. I've historically been a biodynamic fan but these might sway me. And, to think, I went into the store with the hopes of sampling the Focal Elegia's. :\

I’ve compared the LCD2CB also to the most recent version of the XC and my impression is very close to yours. I also listen to many of the same genres of music. Maybe we’re related. Lol. Funny.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #148 of 883
In my side-by-side comparison of the XC's and LCD2 cb's, I found the LCD2cb's to have fuller bass and extension as well as a more relaxed treble region. They were so smooth and enjoyable to listen to. Mids seemed natural and neither forward or recessed. The XC's verged on being somewhat shouty. The XC's seemed to have a marginally wider sound stage but it could have just been the increased energy in the treble region.

I use to own the XC's and now I own the LCD-2CB's and that's how I hear the two as well.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #150 of 883
I use to own the XC's and now I own the LCD-2CB's and that's how I hear the two as well.

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. I'm heading out but wanted to ask what your thoughts are on the Audeze ifi iDSD Micro BL pairing. I saw that you recommended the combo for the XC's, how about the LDC2cb's (given 70 vs 20 ohms and being less sensitive, I figure it could be an even better pairing with more head space)? And, how do/did the cans respond to the analogue bass boost?

Cheers and thanks!

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back