Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #121 of 883

Did he even reference the amp and DAC upstream ?
If not, its pretty pointless, as you can dial in what you feel is missing up the chain, up to a point.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #123 of 883
Anyone try these out with the RME ADI-2 Dac?

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #125 of 883
Found this vid yesterday. Short and sweet:

Interested in the LCD-2CB as a replacement/upgrade for my Fostex TH-600. Kind of getting sick of the midrange chasm, if the LCD-2CB has the same amount of bass impact, with planar speed and treble energy comparable to at least my K7XX these might be what the doctor ordered.

Even though The Nitpicker didn't like the 2CB everything he didn't like was good news to me! Gotta wait for more reviews though.

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #126 of 883
Interested in the LCD-2CB as a replacement/upgrade for my Fostex TH-600. Kind of getting sick of the midrange chasm, if the LCD-2CB has the same amount of bass impact, with planar speed and treble energy comparable to at least my K7XX these might be what the doctor ordered.

Even though The Nitpicker didn't like the 2CB everything he didn't like was good news to me! Gotta wait for more reviews though.

I can say as an owner of the TH600 and loving it for years that the LCD2CB covers most the the ability of the Fostex minus the slam and the overbearing midrange. The 4khz range on the TH600 was just plain sibilant to my ears but the LCD2CB is actually listenable to my ears. It has lots of energy and presence in that region but it doesn't get nasty sounding like the TH600 does. That said I love the LCD2CB's and don't find them offensive sounding like I do the TH600 at times.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #127 of 883
I can say as an owner of the TH600 and loving it for years that the LCD2CB covers most the the ability of the Fostex minus the slam and the overbearing midrange. The 4khz range on the TH600 was just plain sibilant to my ears but the LCD2CB is actually listenable to my ears. It has lots of energy and presence in that region but it doesn't get nasty sounding like the TH600 does. That said I love the LCD2CB's and don't find them offensive sounding like I do the TH600 at times.

You found the midrange of the TH600 overbearing and switched to an Audeze???
latest

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #128 of 883
You found the midrange of the TH600 overbearing and switched to an Audeze???
latest

I've owned the LCD-2, 2F, XC and X and neither have had anywhere near the sibilance of the Fostex headphones.

I used to have to eq out about 6db at 4khz or I just could not enjoy them That said everything else about them is perfect. Lots of slam, great comfort and lots of detail even if it is slightly grainy compared to orthodynamic.

The LCD-2CB is bright in the upper midrange but that 4khz peak the Fostex have just isn't there.

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #129 of 883
I've owned the LCD-2, 2F, XC and X and neither have had anywhere near the sibilance of the Fostex headphones.

I used to have to eq out about 6db at 4khz or I just could not enjoy them That said everything else about them is perfect. Lots of slam, great comfort and lots of detail even if it is slightly grainy compared to orthodynamic.

The LCD-2CB is bright in the upper midrange but that 4khz peak the Fostex have just isn't there.

Still utterly confused.
Sibilance is a product of treble not midrange to my knowledge, unless I (and most if not all reviewers I've read) have it wrong. The TH600 is a perfect example, it's sibilant BECAUSE of it's excessive and uneven treble; the missing midrange exacerbates the problem.
We are saying the same things regarding Fostex headphones being more sibilant than any Audeze, we just (seem to) differ in that you think its a midrange issue whereas I call it a treble issue.
Maybe its upper midrange extension into treble that has me confused with your description?

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #130 of 883
Still utterly confused.
Sibilance is a product of treble not midrange to my knowledge, unless I (and most if not all reviewers I've read) have it wrong. The TH600 is a perfect example, it's sibilant BECAUSE of it's excessive and uneven treble; the missing midrange exacerbates the problem.
We are saying the same things regarding Fostex headphones being more sibilant than any Audeze, we just (seem to) differ in that you think its a midrange issue whereas I call it a treble issue.
Maybe its upper midrange extension into treble that has me confused with your description?

From all of the sound charts I've seen of both the fostex th600 and th900 they both have a very high spike around the 4 kilohertz range.

From my time with both of those headphones I never had a problem with the treble at all. I say 4 kilohertz because on the 12 band equalizer I was using reducing the 4Khz by 6 decibels smoothed them out to the point where they were an awesome pair of headphones to my ears.

Maybe sibilance is exclusive to high end but I don't mind calling 4khz (upper mids) sibilant.

No two ears are identical but mine happen to be very sensitive to the fostex upper mid range that specifically hit around 4khz.

The audeze headphones I've heard don't have anything near that level of harshness to my ears even tho they have a much cleaner sound.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #131 of 883
From all of the sound charts I've seen of both the fostex th600 and th900 they both have a very high spike around the 4 kilohertz range.

From my time with both of those headphones I never had a problem with the treble at all. I say 4 kilohertz because on the 12 band equalizer I was using reducing the 4Khz by 6 decibels smoothed them out to the point where they were an awesome pair of headphones to my ears.

Maybe sibilance is exclusive to high end but I don't mind calling 4khz (upper mids) sibilant.

No two ears are identical but mine happen to be very sensitive to the fostex upper mid range that specifically hit around 4khz.

The audeze headphones I've heard don't have anything near that level of harshness to my ears even tho they have a much cleaner sound.

Cool, never heard that described as midrange but happy listening.

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #132 of 883
First impression: why include a fancy USB stick if it will only have information about other products on it? I had to go to the website to confirm the specs instead. @KMann would this indicate I have one from an early production run? Early enough to worry about? If not, I hope this helps you get the USB stick department organized.

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #133 of 883
First impression: why include a fancy USB stick if it will only have information about other products on it? I had to go to the website to confirm the specs instead. @KMann would this indicate I have one from an early production run? Early enough to worry about? If not, I hope this helps you get the USB stick department organized.
Yes, I remember putting in the USB stick that came with the LCD-MX4 and being massively let down. So much so that I haven't even touched the one that came with the LCD-2CB. But, hey, awesome headphones.

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #134 of 883

After I got mine, I tried registering them. My serial number passed the Are your headphones genuine page. It also listed the LCD2 CB as the model. But then when I tried to register, the page said my serial number wasn't valid. I emailed support listing my contact info and serial number, stating I assumed it was because the headphones are still new (but this was over a month after the headphones first came out). They were pretty quick to respond to say they had registered me and that it was a bug with the page they were rectifying. I also noticed the USB stick had sparse documentation about a couple other model headphones. But hey, I bought the headphones for their quality! I also found a nice case on Amazon.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #135 of 883
I guess it’s suffice to say he really didn’t like them. He’s right about them being neutral and balanced, which I think it a feat in itself for a closed headphone. It’s also the reason I like them so much. The LCD-2CB’s can take on the sound of your gear. Not many headphones out there can do that yet alone a closed one. In that regard, they are special. Where we differ is the bass, because it does thump. It’s classic Audeze bass to my ears. Choosing between the LCD-2CB’s and the LCD-2C will come down to preference. For me, I like the sound of the closed version more, ymmv.

I’ve been able to watch his review and also am scratching my head about not hearing bass thump. I hear plenty of slam with kick drums and bass. Maybe a difference of setup and/or ears. Though when he showed the ear pads, they looked a bit different then mine (don’t know if that’s an indicator of preproduction). Mine have the same outer dimensions, the inside diameter looks smaller on mine.

I would agree that vocals are a bit laid back (but not muted or muddy), and there are other headphones with better imaging. But with music, the soundstage is very immersive and wide for a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back